Signal Snowboards Create a Custom Wheelchair Snowboard for Tim Ostler

The thing turned up a little sketchy at first, but seemed to work fine in the end.

http://hypebeast.com/2012/09/signal-...or-tim-ostler/
    "No avy training but I've watched K2 so many times I think I know what to look for." -JoeStrummer

Why "snowboard" on a leash and risk cutting off all of your fingers when well-designed sitskis already exist?

doughboyshredder Guest
    Sooooooooo awesome.

boonshackle, take your negative shit somewhere else.

Pretty cool video. Boonshackle's comment wasn't negative, it was practical. This isn't a tool for independent skiing/riding, it is a one-off deal with some serious limitations. Turning to a stop looks nearly impossible. Loading too, given the wheels. Good on them for building something rad for their friend.

Most former snowboarders that I've seen hop in a sit-ski don't really care that there is usually a "ski" and not a "board" mounted to their rig.

Maybe for their next adaptive project they could work on a sit-ski binding/interface that allows for better "twist" turn initiation.

Regardless, love the adaptive stoke and increased awareness.
    "Just send it you pussy."

I don't think that you can learn a sitski as quickly as he was able to learn with this setup. I think a sitski comes with some pretty heavy consequences due to its high center of gravity and being so top heavy, and total lack of breaks. I don't think that it's supposed to be better than a sitski, but i can see beginners finding it a lot less intimidating and a great learning tool to get people onto a sitski quicker. Tim has actually been on a sitski a few times, he said that it was a way better experience and from the look on his face, how can you really argue?
    www.DeathCookieEntertainment.com

Sometimes fear just means that you need to push your shins into the front of your ski boots and fuckin send it!

doughboyshredder Guest
    I may have misread boonshackle's post. If so, I apologize.

That contraption turned in a significantly different fashion than a sitski. I was incredibly stoked to see an old ripper with a huge smile on his face slashing turns.

www.DeathCookieEntertainment.com

Sometimes fear just means that you need to push your shins into the front of your ski boots and fuckin send it!

Why use tires over skis on each side? Am i missing something? Is it conveniance for getting from the parking lot to or through the gondy/lift lines?

I don't think Tim would remember me; but, I went to school with him. Stories like this bring so much appreciation to our winter sports and always provide positive stoke and vibes.

The ESPN article HotTate posted above gives all the answers to why this over a sitski:

"Other devices are pretty dialed to various abilities. This build is so different and unique. Conceptually they have something big here. After refinements, my thoughts are that this will allow for a simple, fun experience for anybody at any level. It had a flow to it that reminded me much more of snowboarding as opposed to sitting over a ski." ...also, Tim gets to retain his identity as a "snowboarder". As a former Pro-rider, that is obviously huge and very cool.

Great story as we head into this season.