MFDs for resort daily driver? Or Sollyfits?

Anybody have MFD plates on the ski they use daily in the resort? My wife got me a pair of Salomon MFDs and ordered switch plates too for the birthday. I haven't mounted them because I'm little worried they'll be too heavy to use all the time. Current quiver is 184 Katanas with STH16s, unmounted 186 Renegades, and a beater pair of 185 Sickbirds unmounted. Want a binding system I can move ski to ski, and that has both resort and AT capability, so I was considering Sollyfits instead (obviously would have to spring for a pair of dynafits too).

I'm at Alta mostly, 90% resort, 5% lift access sidecountry, 5% backcountry. Bottom line: are the MFDs weight a deal breaker for mostly resort use or not? And for those Sollyfit users out there, how long does it really take you to switch a pair of STHs from ski to ski? Could you do it in the resort parking lot, or is it too much of a hassle?

Thanks in advance, jong as necessary.

Well, do you want to spend about $400 for another set of bindings and another few hundred for tech compatible boots, or do you want 8 pounds worth of binding on your skis?

Sollyfit plates are nice because you could buy 2 sets of them, put them on the Katanas and Rens and have the option to ski either pair inbounds or in the backcountry. MFD's are nice because you have a full fledged, rock solid alpine binder for backcountry descents.

I don't know what you weigh or how hard you typically are on gear, but if this was my choice, I would go with either Sollyfits on both pairs, or with Binding Freedom inserts if you don't mind having a second set of holes in the skis. Personally, I don't need bomber alpine bindings for the lines and way I ski in the backcountry, so I would rather save the weight.

You could also skip the plate, save the most possible weight and drill both sets of skis for the Sollys and some Dynafits, put inserts in and switch things around when you need to. No added stack height or weight that way.

Of course, you ski almost exclusively in bounds, so it honestly probably isn't worth the investment in tech bindings and boots. Just stick with the MFD's, your legs will get fucking ripped lugging those beatss uphill on some Katanas with alpine boots. Quads of unobtainium!
    Last edited by glademaster; 09-19-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks for your take glademaster. I'm 5'10", 160 lbs, and I don't tend to break the gear I use. I guess I wanted to hear from the MFD users about how annoying (or not annoying) the extra weight of the plates are when you are NOT touring, i.e. skiing the resort 90% of the time like I do.

I want to spring for a pair of Cochise Pros ultimately (as one-boot quiver), so maybe Sollyfits or inserts makes more sense... again, for you Sollyfit users, how long does it take you swap a pair of STHs?

P.S. Jondrums said Sollyfits for Radicals are in the works, but more than two months out...

MFDs are not good for park skis.

MFDs weight and floating heel block make them damp at high speed.

MFD weight is near the center so trees and bumps are not affected.

MFD weight uphill not so much, I drop people on Dukes and Dynafits no problem.

I'm a JONG also...recommend you look at this
    http://blistergearreview.com/?tag=mf...me-at-bindings

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    I want to spring for a pair of Cochise Pros ultimately (as one-boot quiver), so maybe Sollyfits or inserts makes more sense... again, for you Sollyfit users, how long does it take you swap a pair of STHs?
    I've swapped binders fairly often, and it's not a huge deal. The other option is to put inserts for the STH in the Katanas and then plates on the Rens—days you want to tour, you ski the Katana, keep the Rens w/Dynafiddles in the truck, and swap out skis at lunch. Personally, I'd be more concerned about swapping between the DIN and tech sole on the Cochise than the time it takes to swap the Sally binders for Dynafiddles. My friend had a hell of a time switching his out, and I'd hate to have to do that on a regular basis (and yea, he remember the wood screw in the heel). Perhaps that issue is fixed now, though. Or maybe you're comfortable using the tech sole in the STH...

The biggest question is whether you do "serious" sidecountry where you'd like to ride lifts and skin in the same run. If yes, you prolly won't be happy with Dynafits. I tend to hit the bc OR ride the lifts, so I don't need an alpine binder for the bc. (Then again, I have no desire to go big and have my friends cart me out 5+ miles.)

Hope you're stoked for those Rens! They're pretty heavy already, I'd hate to put an MFD plate on them. Sure, it doesn't affect swing weight, but still.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

i'm going with a combination of SollyFits and inserts.

Stormrider w/ inserts for Solly (groomers)
    MX98 w/ inserts for Solly (daily driver)
    Wailer 105 w/ inserts for Dynafit (touring)
    Lhasa Pow w/ SollyFit (day after storm inbounds / slackcountry)
    Lotus 120 w/ SollyFit (pow / slackcountry)
    Lotus 138 w/ inserts for Solly (pow-pow)

rolling with 2 pairs of Sollys so i can show up in the morning with the two skis that i think will fill the bill for the day (not that i switch out at lunch, but it's nice to have a choice and i don't like to f around in the morning); and one pair of FT12s.

i can strip all the skis flat and fit 5 pairs in my hard skicap case (good for road trippin').
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Thanks all for your feedback.
    - Coreshot: you use MFDs on your daily driver resort ski? You make it sound like the weight is a non-issue for you. Have you used the MFD swap plates too?
    - MyNameIsAugustWest: read that MFD review, it's a looooong one. Reviewer seems to love them, even for resort only skiing
    - Auvgeek:
    *I like the insert on Katanas and plates on Rens idea
    *If I do go with the Cochise Pro, I was going to run the Tech soles all the time. I've been doing that with my Shamans + STHs for 4 years, no problems.
    *There are a few days per year that I do lift access sidecountry that requires skinning to get back to Alta. But the skins are short, 30 minutes or less
    *Yes, I'm stoked for the Rens. Got to demo them last year for a few runs.
    - pfulffenmeister: that is quite a quiver. You are obviously an insert/Sollyfit believer. Any real advantage to the plates other than ease of installation?

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    i'm going with a combination of SollyFits and inserts.

Stormrider w/ inserts for Solly (groomers)
    MX98 w/ inserts for Solly (daily driver)
    Wailer 105 w/ inserts for Dynafit (touring)
    Lhasa Pow w/ SollyFit (day after storm inbounds / slackcountry)
    Lotus 120 w/ SollyFit (pow / slackcountry)
    Lotus 138 w/ inserts for Solly (pow-pow)

rolling with 2 pairs of Sollys so i can show up in the morning with the two skis that i think will fill the bill for the day (not that i switch out at lunch, but it's nice to have a choice and i don't like to f around in the morning); and one pair of FT12s.

i can strip all the skis flat and fit 5 pairs in my hard skicap case (good for road trippin').
    A little OT, but how do you like the MX98 as a daily driver? It would sort of be in the old Mantra, Experience 98 category, no?

^^^ the MX98 is a fantastic daily driver.
    of the skis listed only the MX98 and the Lotus 120 are the never sell list.
    the MX108 could pull it of too depending on where you ski, it's a bit softer but better in fresh stuff (duh).
    very intimate edge feel / snow feedback.
    drive the tips, off you go ...

@ the OP: the plates are simple, light, easy to use, and if you want you can have one binder for a whole quiver of skis. they can also help get around mounting issues caused by swiss cheesed skis or BSL/desired binder issues (as they have a wider mounting pattern than most (all?) binders).

to me the MFD is just too heavy.
    i would have to handflex a ski, or preferably ski one, that was mounted with an MFD to convince myself that it doesn't affect ski flex.
    if i was going for a slackcountry set-up that necessitated alpine binders i would just go with the duke (it skied like an alpine binder in my admittedly limited time on it), or maybe the new gnartrackian.

re: the quiver.

thank you, i've been scuplting that thing for a long time.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

The MFD plate does "float" a bit on the ski, so I don't think it effects the flex of a ski unless you've got a ski that is pathetically soft underfoot. Having fondled them it appears that they would provide a little travel or shock absorption, but I'm not positive. Might actually be a nice addition to give some lightweight skis a little dampness and crud busting heft for inbounds use.

The Blister Gear Review talks about this...there's 9mm of travel at the heel. The reviewer thought that maybe the plate stiffened the ski a little bit. Mayb.

I had to invest pretty heavily in inserts and the new screws for this year, and unfortunately, sollyfit/radicals had to wait. As I've said before, they are at least two months out - we need to recoup some of our investment in early season sales before I can order the new sollyfits. Oh, the joys of trying to manage inventory

^^^

Fingers crossed I can get some in my hands, and on my skis by the end of Nov! Buy more shit ppl

I was on MFD's with Pivot 14's mounted on Movement Trusts all last season and loved them. I do 90% in bounds and 10% slackcountry so perfect for me. They feel like a regular alpine mount when skiing them. Didn't notice the extra weight when resort skiing but they are a bit heavy when skinning. Movement Trust's are a lighter ski so the total weight of my setup is about the same as a Katana with Dukes. I will eventually get a Dynafit setup as well, but for a quiver of one they work great for me at Whistler.
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

How much do you skin from the lifts at Alta? Most of my Utah lift assisted backcountry was bootpacking. If you're not skinning off the lifts I'd wait for the plates. The current dynalook plates already have the radical hole pattern.

I don't know about the STHs but if you can pair the MFDs w/ a Tachyon binder it's a no brainer
    you know there ain't no devil,
    there's just God when he's drunk---- Tom Waits

Honestly if you're only going to be skinning 5-10% of the time, it seems like a no-brainer to me to go MFD. I have MFDs on my resort daily(ish) driver and as others have stated, the weight is not very noticeable while skiing because it's all right under your foot, so swing weight is more or less unaffected. Flex is unaffected, camber is slightly affected on some skis on cattracks where the ski is not being pressured. Probably a bit heavy for skinning but it doesn't sound like you'll be doing a ton of it. I've also drank the dynafit kool-aid, but for a dedicated touring setup. Basically, if you're only doing 5-10% skinning, it's not going to be worth it to swap bindings, especially as you won't swap mid-day for slackcountry, and you'll end up bootpacking with 4-500$ touring bindings sitting at home.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Honestly if you're only going to be skinning 5-10% of the time, it seems like a no-brainer to me to go MFD. I have MFDs on my resort daily(ish) driver and as others have stated, the weight is not very noticeable while skiing because it's all right under your foot, so swing weight is more or less unaffected. Flex is unaffected, camber is slightly affected on some skis on cattracks where the ski is not being pressured. Probably a bit heavy for skinning but it doesn't sound like you'll be doing a ton of it. I've also drank the dynafit kool-aid, but for a dedicated touring setup. Basically, if you're only doing 5-10% skinning, it's not going to be worth it to swap bindings, especially as you won't swap mid-day for slackcountry, and you'll end up bootpacking with 4-500$ touring bindings sitting at home.
    I'm in the same boat as OP. nickel, can you say from experience that the swing weight seems unaffected? One of my only concerns with the MFD plates is that they may affect swing weight in tight trees and even in the air. I'm no jibber but I like to throw myself off a kicker every now and then.

I didn't notice much difference for swing weight. Think more effort over a whole day in squat motions (up-down if that makes more sense) but side to side it's not noticeable. I developed a fondness for the foot-rest on the chair though. That's where I notice the weight most, when they're hanging off my legs. I found weight to be a minimal issue overall, except in really sticky snow. There are just so many nooks and crannies for sticky snow to glop into it's retarded. I quite like them as a setup for the resort. I definitely would not worry about burliness, just check the 4 allen key pivot screws often.

Think of a person trying to spin. The tighter they hold themselves, the faster they spin. Bindings will always have a negligible effect on swing weight because they're around your feet.

Any idea when the plates will be back in stock?