Help me build my touring rig

I just bought a Long Haul Trucker frame on Saturday, and now need to build it up in the next 3 weeks. The budget is tight, but the gear has to last about 20,000km (Vancouver to Argentina). What should I look for used and buy new, in terms of group set, wheels, etc? Any recs?

This is a 56cm frame, 26" wheels.

IMHO, it's pretty hard to go wrong at the low end these days. It's only when you're chasing grams that you have to worry about durablity.

Here's the bike I would trade in for a LHT.

Bar end 9spd (cheap reliable, can shift anything in a pinch), Original Deore Deraillers from 1989 and a low budget Sugino triple crank. Wheels are basic deore hubs
    with sun rhyno lite rims.

There's really no point in going upscale for anything.

I can get these groups for a really good deal, but not being a roadie I'm a little bit lost. Other than staying away from the Ultegra, what am I looking at here?

http://cycleslambert.com/sites/en/Ca...39289904867483

Just curious what is the reason to stay away from Ultegra other than price tag?

Well I had the impression that although it's very well performing gear, it's also more fragile and finnicky...

I didn't go through every single page on that link, but it looks like it's all road groupos? I would highly recommend looking at mtb groups for your ride. For loaded touring you want good brakes and low gearing. I would look at Deore stuff if I was you. On that route you have planned, stuff WILL break no matter what you choose. Why not use something wallet friendly. It's really only weight you save going higher up, and a pound in components isn't going to make much difference when you are carrying say 30lbs of gear.

I would suggest v-brakes and something like 22/34/44 for chaingrings, and a 11or12/32 cassette. For where you are heading, I woudl also suggest at least 32mm tires. Nashbar had a good deal on a 36 spoke Vuelta wheel recently if they still have them. I forget the model name right now, but it's their "heavy duty" wheel. Kind of heavy, but 36 spokes, sealed bearings and cheap.

I rode the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route a number of years ago. I led a group of 12 (fully self-supported), and people were all riding mountain bikes, of course. The failure points were always wheels and rear derailleurs. I was the mechanic as well as the guide....

If I had to do it again, I'd choose a 'cross our touring frame, or one like yours. I did that tour on a hardtail with road bars and a Softride stem (remember those?). Avid cable disc brakes give you the option to run road bars (recommended) and are bombproof reliable. Bar-end shifters as noted above are also reliable and can switch to friction in a pinch. Basic Shimano hubs are reliable and rebuildable, and Sun Rhyno Lite rims are the standard for bombproof reliability, but some of the newer "enduro" style disc rims would probably be good as well.

I would highly recommend going with a 9 speed drivetrain. Not only will you save money initially and with cassette/chain replacements on the road (you'll go through at least 2 cassettes and several chains), but it's more tolerant of half-assed maintenance. 10s requires a cleaner and better-adjusted chain/derailleur to perform. MTB stuff will allow you wider gear ranges (and let's face it, you're not likely to push a 53/12 fully loaded anyway). In contrast to the above advice, I would go with an XT level rear derailleur. I think the better stuff is just better, and lasts longer. 9s should be available pretty cheap. If you can find an old-school full sized triple crank (46 or 48t big ring would be good), jump on it. If you'll be 100% on pavement, just get slick tires. The added speed will be worth it, and you don't need ANY tread for even wet pavement. Take a spare, and perhaps 2 spares once you cross the border. Tires will be available, but probably not the ones you like.

If you'll be using panniers and racks, get basic ones that are durable. On a trip like that you want to put reliability above all else. We all used BOB trailers on the route, and I still think they are the way to go for off-road touring. On-road, though, you can use panniers and have a somewhat lighter and much smaller setup. Be absolutely MILITANT about what you take with you. If you can't get your full setup (camping, cooking, spares, etc) into 2 rear and 2 small front panniers with NO bags on top, you're taking too much.

Have fun! People do long tours like yours on all kinds of crazy equipment. A can-do attitude and mental toughness are way more important than your gear choices.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Find some 9sp bar end shifters, a triple road crankset, Deore long cage r. Der. I'd stay away from STI shifters, if they go kaput, you are hosed. A little bit of sand in those things and you are fucked. Bar end, all day.

Do everything you can to avoid skimping on wheels. Barring any type of crash, spokes will be the first thing to fail. If you can get someone to build you a stout set, that would be best. If you buy some prebuilt, take them to a trusted wheelbuilder with a twelver and ask to get them properly tensioned, and be sure to get some shakedowns on them Then buy extra spokes, at least 4 per side for your rear wheel. Front should be all one length, but get a few.

There are usually some good deals on Ryno Lite wheelsets out there, just be sure to get them touched up. As mentioned before, they are stout and well priced.

Quote Originally Posted by filthyfrenchbum View Post
    I can get these groups for a really good deal, but not being a roadie I'm a little bit lost. Other than staying away from the Ultegra, what am I looking at here?

http://cycleslambert.com/sites/en/Ca...39289904867483
    As others have said, I really think any current road groups are the wrong way to go. Gears are way too high for touring; brifters are either not repairable ( shimano ) or very difficult to repair on the road ; the brakes from a road group will be useless, so this is a place to avoid the "deal".

Think "hardtail MTB" parts and you'll be much better off. After all the original MTB bikes are more or less touring bikes with flat bars.

Check out

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

You'll see that gear matters a lot less than attitude. People tour on just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    a triple road crankset
    Most road triples have fairly stupid gearing, even for road riding. 53/39/30 only really adds
    one or two gears on the low end.

You want at least a 110 BCD triple, 24/36/48 is pretty good and you can get Sugino versions
    of those with steel rings pretty cheap. If it were me, I'd go even lower with a 20/30/42 ( Surly Mr Whirly w/98mm triple option ),
    but that is pricy. The whirly is kinda of nice in that if you pack a couple adapters, you can use just about any chainrings you
    come across in your travels, but chainrings take a long time to wear out. They would be the just about the last thing I would
    worry about replacing.

Another person who sez wheels and rear der are the major factors. Also second the rhino light wheels - I ran them on the rear of my hard tail for around six years and never had the slightest problem - the XT hubs wore out first.

Also a second on an XT rear der for bulletproof. Haven't run enough SRAM to make a comparison.

We expect an excellent TR out of this. Have fun!

TGR delivers, as usual! Thanks to all! I've been browsing crazyguyonabike for a while, but as mentioned earlier there's no huge consensus on a lot of the gear.

I'll definitely get on the search for rhino lites and either a cheap xt derailleur or deore. Seems like bar end shifters are the must as well. Are there any BB's (assuming 24-36-48 rings) that are more reliable than others?

Also, Ortlieb seems to be the go-to pannier-wise, but are very pricey. Other good recs?

Pedals: clipless, flat, or hybrid?

Oh, and I can actually get everything from www.cycleslambert.com on a great deal, not just groupsets.

Huge continuous TR to come. Departure in 2.5 weeks. Holy shit!

I think a slick option for a touring rig would be a Rohloff 14 speed internal hub mated to a belt drive. It would probably be an expensive option, but it's fun to dream about and this would be maintenance free.

A buddy had a hard time getting Rohloff to create a belt cog that would fit the internal hub, but now that it's been done, Rohloff may start selling them. The guy raced this year in the great divide mountain bike race on that setup.

Check out Arkel bags. They are kinda pricey too, but from Canuckistan, so maybe a little cheaper for you up there.

Quote Originally Posted by filthyfrenchbum View Post
    Also, Ortlieb seems to be the go-to pannier-wise, but are very pricey. Other good recs?
    Check MEC's house brands. I haven't looked at their recent stuff, but in general I think they make pretty high
    quality stuff that's relatively cheap.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...s/Panniers.jsp

They used to sell a Canadian brand that started with A that was also a reasonable deal. ( Arkel ? )

Quote Originally Posted by bbense View Post
    As others have said, I really think any current road groups are the wrong way to go. Gears are way too high for touring; brifters are either not repairable ( shimano ) or very difficult to repair on the road ; the brakes from a road group will be useless, so this is a place to avoid the "deal".

Think "hardtail MTB" parts and you'll be much better off. After all the original MTB bikes are more or less touring bikes with flat bars.
    I second the HT mtn bike hardware , IME LX or even acera all work fine

I converted the 1st mtn bike I bought my son a low end Kona Hahana mtn bike into my touring rig and I have used it on 3 tours with no problems other than 4 flat tires

I am sitting in Santiago Spain after knocking off the Camino, 500 miles in 15 days of road & easy mtn biking which I do recommend and I could write a thread giving some beta if anyone is interested ?

Sounds like a great adventure. I used to do that sorta stuff. Planning a couple new touring bikes myself. I'll build the frames. (I'm the "Lo" of Curtlo, building frames off and on for 35 years.) I did lots of big tours from 1975 to 1988.

#1 suggestion: Put at least half of your payload in low rider front panniers. I like about 75% of my payload in the front.

If $$ is tight, then Rohloff is probably not an option. Good suggestion though. Since you are likely going with derailleurs, set aside money for a new chain every few thousand miles and a new cassette every other chain change. The useful life of modern chains suck.

Include a compact cassette puller in your tool kit. See http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-029/index.html

Good suggestion to avoid STI. Whatever you get, make sure it converts into friction shifting, e.g., Shimano bar ends.

I'd go with at least 36 spoke wheels. 40 spoke rear is better.

I'd do with a 94mm BCD 30/44 double or a 110mm BCD 34/46 double for a loaded touring bike.

I bought this crankset for my touring bike (Kona Sutra), to replace the road geared triple that it came with:
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...om_Bracket.htm

Shimano LX (current LX is their "trekking" line) 26/36/48 gearing, external bearings.

On panniers, I like Jandd, out of California; sturdy Cordura construction and top-loader design on several of them (i.e. no zippers to blow out). They aren't waterproof, but I use a white trash compactor bag inside each pannier to take care of that issue. I'm not a fan of rain covers (water pools inside). Ortlieb panniers look nice, but that tarp material isn't light.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I second the HT mtn bike hardware , IME LX or even acera all work fine

I converted the 1st mtn bike I bought my son a low end Kona Hahana mtn bike into my touring rig and I have used it on 3 tours with no problems other than 4 flat tires

I am sitting in Santiago Spain after knocking off the Camino, 500 miles in 15 days of road & easy mtn biking which I do recommend and I could write a thread giving some beta if anyone is interested ?
    I am interested in your travels. A TR would be welcome. thanks for asking.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Alright, found an SLX derailleur, chain, cassette and shifters (won't keep those though) for $125. Seems like a good deal and I think I'm gonna go for it.

As far as wheels, not having much luck with rhino lites yet, but still browsing around. What's the max width I want to have? Could this be a half decent option?

Edit: Just found a rhynolite wheelset for about $150

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...e-wheelset.jsp
    Last edited by filthyfrenchbum; 09-25-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Ok, so all parts are ordered and on their way! I got a hookup with a big distributor and got a Deore drivetrain, bought a stock Rhynolite wheel with a deore hub for the front, got one built up with dt spokes for the rear, marathon + for rear, reg marathon for the front, MEC panniers, no rack yet...

ETD: October 10!

I haven't seen any mention of tires. I've had my share of flats (21 riding from Vancouver to San Diego). I've personally had great success running Continental Contact 700x32. Many swear by Schwalbe Marathons. For the type of terrain you will encounter in Central / South America, you may want to consider 700x35, or 26x2.25.

www.crazyguyonabike.com is a great resource, if you want to read about other people making similar trips, or if you want an easy to use place to post your own.
    Sometimes I feel so good, I gotta scream
    She said Gordie baby I know exactly what you mean
    She said, she said, I swear to god she said...
    My memory is muddy what's this river that I'm in?
    New Orleans is sinking man and I don't wanna swim