Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    After hearing some of these reports I'm starting to feel damn glad I went with STH + MFD instead

Went for a long tour today with the remount and a lot of dialing in last night. I have to admit it does feel a little more solid than my previous assessments. Now I'm starting to wonder more about the quality of my mount. I think the movement just psyches me out more than affecting actual performance.

That being said, I accumulated a shit ton of ice on the back, and found out it was pretty hard to unlock from apline mode. Couple minutes of beating and scraping got it off. The binding doesn"t have any slop when its wedged full of ice and snow!

My impression is getting better though

As someone who has Guardians on the way some of the reviews in this thread scare me a bit. Can't wait to hear what others have to say.

Anyone use the template supplied by Wildsnow to mount theirs?

Hoping its accurate. Friend owns a shop and is a tech there and offered to do it seeing as they dont have the jig, he used the paper template from Wildsnow.

Heading out tomorrow and will take a closer look. I will chat with my tech guy as well.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Not to be contrary to what others have said, I guess these things just aren't for everyone.
    This might be a dumb question as I've only used Dukes for AT, but can't you take off skins with skis on pretty easily by just switching to ski mode, then lifting the tail of your ski to your ass to grab the skin and then rip it off? Not sure why you'd need long arms?

I can verify that real life they release with dynafit Titan UL's. took a nice bail at DIN of 13 and had set the binders up with just a shim o' daylight between AFD and boot sole. No pre-release issues and released when supposed to.

Hopefully wont replicate again

Also I have no slop issues. Rock solid. 1 mount is perfect the other I am off by a few mm side-to-side on the back. But still closes great.

Skied mine for the first time today. All inbounds. No issues what so ever - Solid with zero play or slop. Felt more bomber than my current 4Frnt 14 din binders and almost on par with my old 916s. Nothing but good things to say so far.

realllly want to pick up a pair, but worried about the play in the heel as well. might hold off on the purchase til i hear more good news....i want to do a lot of jumping in them

When you talk to heel play, what exactly are you guys looking at?

Unfortunately there is no flat position for long flat tours, but I guess thats not really what these bindings are made for.
    So Wobby, even when the climbing arm is positioned all the way forward in its so called "flat" mode, it's still high up enough to make flatter sections be troublesome?

Quote Originally Posted by GaugeSymmetry View Post
    So Wobby, even when the climbing arm is positioned all the way forward in its so called "flat" mode, it's still high up enough to make flatter sections be troublesome?
    yeah the rubber stop on the climbing arm is pretty chunky so when its positioned forward in flat mode, the binding still makes an angle with the horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    When you talk to heel play, what exactly are you guys looking at?
    The connection between the locking plate piece and the actual heelpiece just seems a little loose, specifically where there are metal hooks that slide in to grab the metal bars on the heelpiece bottom. Not only do they not lock in solidly together, but the sliding hook piece moves all over the pace.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    This might be a dumb question as I've only used Dukes for AT, but can't you take off skins with skis on pretty easily by just switching to ski mode, then lifting the tail of your ski to your ass to grab the skin and then rip it off? Not sure why you'd need long arms?
    I don't think that would work, but I haven't tried. My skins are pretty sticky, and with long skis it just seems awkward to me. Why would it be a big deal to take off your ski, unless the snow was ridiculously deep anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by robicano22 View Post
    yeah the rubber stop on the climbing arm is pretty chunky so when its positioned forward in flat mode, the binding still makes an angle with the horizontal.
    Its not the worst, just a little uncomfortable.

The connection between the locking plate piece and the actual heelpiece just seems a little loose, specifically where there are metal hooks that slide in to grab the metal bars on the heelpiece bottom. Not only do they not lock in solidly together, but the sliding hook piece moves all over the pace.

I havent experienced any of that so far. It must be a mounting issue for some? I was bombing down stowe today and felt pretty damn secure in mine.

This is the same issue I have with my 3 year old Duke's, though its not something I notice much while skiing. You can grab the heel piece and get it to move around a bit on the track. This is something I had hoped the Guardian would not exhibit. I guess if both the Duke and Guardian have a bit of play there, they are on equal footing at least. I suppose maybe some movement is unavoidable in order for it to function in the way intended.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Yea, pretty easily. Im not sure what the advantage of the guardian would be if you couldn't.
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

Well the guardian at least has metal on metal connections, so slop shouldn't develop so predictably like the marker offerings. Looking at the design mounted and unmounted, if there is even a touch of volcanoeing (sp?) on the mount, this will translate directly into to play in the binding. Variance in the position of the mount shouldn't have a massive effect given the hook design? I have played with plenty of guardians mounted up to 2x4s and plastic in the shops and thought the connection was impressive. I was unimpressed by the shear bulk of the system, but its better option than an mfd plate IMO

Ok. for those with absolutely no heel slop, what are you doing differently to eliminate this? I just don't see how that sliding metal piece with the hooks can get any tighter. I'm going to pull my heel tracks off and make sure there are no dimples from the screw pulling up on the topsheets that is possibly not allowing for the heel track to sit as flush to the ski as possible. This is about the only thing I can think of that could be "wrong" with the mount.

Tut- beat me to it. Hopefully I'm on the right track.

^Wish I could help ya, but I am a jong with mounting skis. A good buddy of mine did it for me. I can ask him

I have no slop in mine.

Drilled the holes patterned by jondrums. Used a deburring tool in the holes to help eliminate volcanos. Mounted. Solid

I just pulled mine and filed down the little bit of valcano action that I had going on. Reattached and hand tightened, still plenty of play in metal prongs. I can't see how one would make that thing tighter except by removing a little material off of the plastic plate to allow the 2 metal peieces that the screws go through to sit lower and tighter against the metal piece with the hooks on it.

BirdBlaster- When you put your bindings in tour mode, does that metal hooked peice move around quite a bit on it's own?

Edit: Getting rid of the little bit of volcano does seem to help. There is still a tiny bit of play when in ski mode, but once the boot is in the binding there is almost no play now. I don't think I will notice what tiny bit there is now. The lesson- no vocano whatsoever. I did not think this would matter, but it does make a difference.
    Last edited by hick; 11-26-2012 at 10:21 AM.

I can't say that it does. I have a solid connection and no play w/ the hooks/heel in either ski or tour. THey have a really nice stride to them.

No issues at all this weekend. Mine are super solid!
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

I finally got some time on my Guardians this weekend - in fresh pow, chopped up crud and hard pack - and they felt exactly like regular bindings in all of those conditions. Rock solid.