Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Who blew out your TLT5s? Mates?

I'm also discouraged by the talk of non-progressive flex. It's my problem with most AT boots. But I'm wondering how stiff they'll be without the tongue, since I've heard they're a good deal more progressive without it.
    The forward flex with out tongues is not very stiff at all. But it depends what kind of ski you are on. If you are riding, say, a S7 it will be fine. The lateral rigidity is unparalleled and you can easily power through any turn on that stiffness alone. But if you are on a stiffer cambered ski where you are really trying to drive the edge at the tip of the ski you will be left wanting a bit if you roll without the tongue.

^^ To clarify, you're talking about the Vulcan, not TLT5, right? I suspect it will ultimately come down to fit. But damn, I really was hoping for a nice progressive flex.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

yes, vulcan w/out plastic tongues.

Okay, gotcha. Lee Lau's review mentioned that they seemed fairly stiff without the tongue. Guess it's all relative.

Driving a pair of stiff 191 Lhasa fats, so I'll need the tongues.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

i agree with rangerjake. ALmost too stiff with tongue. A bit soft without

Actually in my review i agreed with rangerjake. ALmost too stiff with tongue. A bit soft without

A couple of questions. RJ, LL, were you guys on pre-production or production versions of the Vulcan? Is the production version supposed to be stiffer? I think you mentioned this info earlier, I just want to clarify.

How is the foward stiffness in the other boots in the Vulcan series, I think they were the Mercury and the One? If the Vulcan is too stiff, would the Mercury be just right?

Also, can anyone tell me the BSL of a 26 and 27 boot in the Vulcan/Mercury/One series?

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post

Also, can anyone tell me the BSL of a 26 and 27 boot in the Vulcan/Mercury/One series?
    http://media.dynafit.com/PDF/Conversion_Chart_Boots.pdf

A couple of questions. RJ, LL, were you guys on pre-production or production versions of the Vulcan? Is the production version supposed to be stiffer? I think you mentioned this info earlier, I just want to clarify.

How is the foward stiffness in the other boots in the Vulcan series, I think they were the Mercury and the One? If the Vulcan is too stiff, would the Mercury be just right?

As mentioned in the article, pre-production. As mentioned in the article, yes.

Don;t know answers to other questions

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Actually in my review i agreed with rangerjake. ALmost too stiff with tongue. A bit soft without
    Guess that was a misreading of mine. Sorry 'bout that.

photos

I wonder how much cheaper they would have been without all the graphics and zero benefit design flourishes. Or faster to market?

Really do I need a drawing of a snow leopard inside the liner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

To me the Vulcan feels like a brick wall with tongue in, reminds me of my Spirit 3's when the tongue is out. The Mercury is not much softer in terms of forward flex, but does have a little more initial give. Both the One PX and One U feel too soft and the lower shells cave under hard pressure. My inclination would be to go with the Mercury and gradually cut down the auxiliary tongue (I did this with my TLT5P's with success) until I got the forward flex I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    My inclination would be to go with the Mercury and gradually cut down the auxiliary tongue (I did this with my TLT5P's with success) until I got the forward flex I liked.
    How did you trim the TLT5 tongue and how did it alter the flex pattern? I like the 5's, but with the tongues in the flex pattern definitely takes a hit.

I cut off about 1 7/8" from the top of the tongues, just below the power strap. It gives you a bit of easy movement from the neutral position, but still keeps the flex stiff when you really hit it hard. It also lets you have nearly full range of motion for skinning with tongues in, especially if you put the power strap underneath the thin double-pronged inner tongue.

Pic: http://www.randosaigai.com/tltmods_4736.jpg

Anyone know if you can/will be able to get hold of the tongues - that sounds like a great mod Greg. Might be nice to have three set up options - full tongue for the area, shortened for shorter touring/BC, no tongues for volcanoes, spring, traverses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I think I'm gonna try this. Touring with the tongue in certainly appeals to me. Thanks for the Pic!

Hey Greg, how about a pic with those modified tongues in place?

No one has Vulcans or Mercuries around me yet, but I did try on some Ones yesterday. Actually stiffer than I expected, but certainly not stiff enough for my taste. The buckles seem like a pain in the ass. The non-rigid loop bails seem to serve no purpose but are harder to use than normal ones. This makes me think putting the tongue in then out all the time could be annoying. The upper buckle/forward lean lock is cool, but its a bummer that it doesnt have any micro adjust.

Interesting. The height of the TLT5 tongue never bothered me (I'm in a 30.5MP). I've done plenty o' other mods though.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    To me the Vulcan feels like a brick wall with tongue in, reminds me of my Spirit 3's when the tongue is out. The Mercury is not much softer in terms of forward flex, but does have a little more initial give. Both the One PX and One U feel too soft and the lower shells cave under hard pressure. My inclination would be to go with the Mercury and gradually cut down the auxiliary tongue (I did this with my TLT5P's with success) until I got the forward flex I liked.
    Greg- out of curiosity, what's your height/weight? Probably does not make that much difference in relation to carpet testing but was thinking there may be some delta. Powder11 seemed to think they were progressive - he's two-bills...

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Hey Greg, how about a pic with those modified tongues in place?
    Pretty hard to see in these, but you can barely see the top edge of the tongue at the level of the top buckle strap in the top photo. Works for me.

http://www.randosaigai.com/tlt5_tongue_0582.jpg

http://www.randosaigai.com/tlt5_tongues_0586.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by foreal View Post
    Greg- out of curiosity, what's your height/weight?
    5'8" ~165

Quote Originally Posted by foreal View Post
    Greg- out of curiosity, what's your height/weight? Probably does not make that much difference in relation to carpet testing but was thinking there may be some delta. Powder11 seemed to think they were progressive - he's two-bills...
    My buddy is 2 bills as well and warned me they were extremely stiff. I was skiing TLT5 pro and BD's factor 130. As a reference for me his implication was the factor 130 against the Vulcan felt like mush and the Vulcan was staff as #%*<.

I tried on the "ones" and they felt comfortable even going down a full size from what I fit in TLT5p.

I'm stoked to start fitting the Vulcan but I'm a little worried the wont live up to the TLT5p.

Which is probably good to go into it with lower expectation and hopefully be blown away and love the boot like I did the TLT5p. If not... I'm headed back to the TLT5p ASAP and you'll see a pair of vulcans in gear swap around Thanksgiving.

You can't start the dibs now if you like

MEC has had Vulcans on their site for a few weeks but today it is listed as not available. I wonder what has happened?

~$680 shipped from snowinn.com. Who knows how long they'll take to ship.

Mercury, One PX and One PX W are in stock at evo.com now. 26.5, 27.5 and 28.5 Mercurys will be in the store Tuesday to try on. No Vulcans yet.