Thread: RIP Tom Sims

RIP Tom Sims

Bummer.

http://espn.go.com/action/snowboardi...s-heart-attack

Tom Sims, pioneering skateboarder and snowboarder, died from cardiac arrest Wednesday night at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, near his home in California, according to a statement released by Sims Snowboards on Thursday.

Sims is frequently credited with inventing the first modern snowboard. He built his "Skiboard" prototype in seventh grade wood shop class in 1963, and followed with several skateboard and snowboard industry firsts, including the first snowboard with metal edges, the first pro-model and women's-specific snowboard. He was also the first to incorporate some of the earliest high-back binding systems.

Sims ran a skateshop and founded Sims Skateboards in Santa Barbara in 1976 and won the Skateboard World Championships that same year. He was featured, alongside Stacy Peralta, in the 1976 skate film "Freewheelin.' " Christian Hosoi and the late Jeff Phillips both turned pro for Sims shortly thereafter.

In addition to topping many snow and skate podiums throughout his career, including winning the slalom event at the U.S. Open of Snowboarding in 1985, Sims was a snowboarding stunt double for Roger Moore in the 1985 James Bond film "A View to a Kill."

Memories and support poured out across the skate and snow communities Thursday.

"Thank you for your immense contributions to skateboarding and snowboarding, Tom. RIP," stated legendary skateboard photographer Grant Brittain via Facebook.

"He was definitely the innovator of what snowboarding is today, and his legacy and contributions will be forever remembered and widely embraced," Steve Fisher, a former Sims Snowboards team rider and two-time Winter X Games SuperPipe gold medalist, told ESPN.com. "What he stood for and what he did for the culture of action sports is so great that it should never go unrecognized or forgotten. He's a true pioneer."

Sims also helped introduce some of the sport's first halfpipe and freestyle competitions, and was the first to sponsor riders like Craig Kelly who would go on to bring the sport to new heights and mainstream attention.

Sims is survived by his wife Hilary, sister Margie Sims Klinger of Santa Barbara, sons Tommy and Shane, daughter Sarah and step daughters Alexa and Kylie Wagner.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Man. I was a Sims rider in Vt. In the mid 80's, just to be punk. Tom was hugely inspirational. And the Sims/Burton 'wars' were a TON of fun.
    He will be missed as a pioneer, for sure....
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Sims Pure Juice red wheels with sealed bearings was probably the greatest thing to happen for me in ~'75. Gawd that stuff was so much better than steel, clay and even plastic wheels and constantly messing with bearings.

RIP man.

Totally had a couple pairs of Sims wheels.

One of my favorite snowboards of all time was the Noah Salasnek skateboard.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Rip to a legend.

I remember when Sims boards outnumbered Burton.

Rip
    "up in the ski resorts, up in hills they move ki's and had skis making drops on snowmobiles"- GZA

wow, that sux!
    i've never been on a board, and i never met him.
    but, i always liked that dude.
    delivered stoke.
    RIP Sims
    crab in my shoe mouth

RIP Tom Sims.
    I grew up skate boarding on your boards and wheels
    and as a life long skier watched with interest as you took it to the snow.
    Thanks for everything you brought to the surf,
    wherever you happened to find it

RIP to another action sports legend

Damn.............................................. ..............RIP and vibe to fam.

fkna

started as a burton boy being a right coaster, but liked what sims was putting out with boards like the switchblade. raced on safaris, but competed pipe on that switchblade, great board.

later on was riding for sims and it always felt so great to be in the start house on my sims asyms. other racers would see my boards and be like, "wha? sims makes race boards?" yup

and how bout them ole sims street wheels? smooth anything out. gripppppy.

if any of you haven't seen "this is snowboarding w tom sims" find it, watch it, absorb it.

great flick.

RIP TOM.

rog

Burner baby. Thanks for that Tom. Still have two.

RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Later dude, RIP.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

bows - rip