Notices

1983 Beirut barracks bombing-Reagan "cut and run"

Personally, I don't believe we should have had Marines in Beirut in the first place but I find it interesting how tough guys like DPiA hold Reagan in such high esteem. Reagan bargained with terrorists on several occasions. My guess is these libyan/Egypt guys shouldn't have fucked with Obama because he ain't no Reagan:

"Yes, the situation in Lebanon is difficult, frustrating, and dangerous," Reagan said in his weekly radio address on February 4. "But that is no reason to turn our backs on friends and to cut and run. If we do, we'll be sending one signal to terrorists everywhere: They can gain by waging war against innocent people."

Despite Reagan's tough words, later that month, the U.S. did, in fact, cut and run. And as predicted, it sent a signal to terrorists everywhere.

Osama bin Laden, for one, took notice. In a 1996 fatwa, bin Laden cited the Beirut Marine barracks bombing in making his case that America was a paper tiger whose leaders talked tough but would withdraw at the first sight of casualties.

http://spectator.org/archives/2007/0...thdrawal/print

Sorry guys. Fixed the photo.

Last edited by 4matic; 09-13-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Not only is Regan not running against Obama, but Regan has actually been dead for awhile now.

Yet another thread for the huge heap of Librodouche Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Not only is Regan not running against Obama, but Regan has actually been dead for awhile now.

Yet another thread for the huge heap of Librodouche Fail.
    Yer shitting us right?

Mitt is more formidable than St. Ronnie? Has the potential to be a better president?

Mitt freaking Romney?
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Minor point, but the OP's photo is not of the USMC barracks. The Marines were at the airport in a different building. The OP photo is the French barracks that was simultaneously bombed. 58 French paratroopers were killed in the OP's photo. Same incident, different building.

edit: ^^^OP photo now fixed. Sorry for being a stickler for detail.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

^^^^ thanks Harry... i was about to look that up since the pic was not what i remember

That was a wild week for the US Military.

The entire fleet was sailing toward Grenada, with the invasion scheduled for the 25th. Then on the 23rd the Beirut bombing happens.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

^^^Yeah, but Reagan sure showed those laid back, pot smokin', spice sniffin' Grenadan's a lesson. Their six or seven weapons were no match for 'merican military might.

Now, that's what 'merican military superiority is all about.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Yer shitting us right?

Mitt is more formidable than St. Ronnie? Has the potential to be a better president?

Mitt freaking Romney?
    Mitt's a pile of shit*. I don't get where me pointing out the idiocy of the OP translates to me cheerleading for Romney.

*I can't believe the dopes here haven't been calling him "Shitt Romney". It rhymes.

Yes, but the New Jesey sent them few hundred goodbyes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8406362.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	120622

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Yes, but the New Jesey sent them few hundred goodbyes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8406362.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	120622
    An ironic statement since it was Reagan that wasted billions of dollars refurbishing obsolete battleships. I suspect you knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Regan...... Regan
    Rainman smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    ^^^Yeah, but Reagan sure showed those laid back, pot smokin', spice sniffin' Grenadan's a lesson. Their six or seven weapons were no match for 'merican military might.

Now, that's what 'merican military superiority is all about.

The more you post, the more I agree with Jer that democracy is doomed to fail.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway