Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brake Nerds, are new Shimano rotors 'All That?'

Shimano makes some outta control percentage of power claims for their newer brakes, supposedly in concert with their rotors. But rotors don't come with the brakes...so, in the opinions of those of you who have thrashed the 'ice' rotors, are they really that much better?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

no idea about that, but they are almost IMPOSSIBLE to straighten after being bent..

Interesting. I bend rotors back all of the time. Possibly they might be more resistant to warping/bending in the first place, though?
    (non impact)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I find the ice rotors superb. I'm running the new XT brakes and love them. Hard to warp those rotors. Furthermore the brake pads with the cooling fins work really well.

I haven't run the brakes without the rotors yet, but can say I'm thoroughly impressed with the combo. Xt and xtr trail - both a complete wow. I don't blame the many bike companies who are switching away from Avid and to Shimano for brakes (or drivetrain...) for 2013.

Finstah Guest
    Yes. But they are expensive and wear out faster than most other rotors.

The new Shimano brakes are still incredible without them, but they may not be as quiet.

one data point only, but i am NOT into shimano ice tech rotors. they are much squeakier, and IMO less grabby than normal rotors.

i prefer an avid HS1 / g3, hope, and old shimanos by far and away over the ice tech ones.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Huh? Not everyone just goes on Price Point and buys the cheapest rotor there regardless of design?!

I think they are legit. I run XTR's, about 70-100 dusty as hell XC miles a week, no squeaking, no gritty feeling, nothing but pure awesomeness. I am not sure why other companies still make brakes. I've had mine on a year, bleeding them this week for first time.

Using my xt saint combo with avid rotors. Work really well. Never have to worry about them. Just 10 days in though. Can't imagine ice tech rotors making a huge difference. Somebody told me new avid rotors aren't as good. Something about infringing on some shimano rotor process and shimano putting a stop to it. Not sure about that. Might have something to do with a big "S"himano

Again, only one data point here. I've run the ice tech rotors with XTs for maybe 80K' of descending now and the performance has been superb. Excellent power, no noise or pulsing, and virtually zero rub with no fuss. They are not particularly grabby, but yet I can stop extremely fast with no hand fatigue on all but the longest descents. Perhaps the regular rotors are as good but I do not know.

Also one more single data point: I have the new XT brakes and I'm fairly certain my build kit (Yeti Race kit for my SB66c) did NOT come with the ice tech rotors. As such, these are way more stoppy and grabby than the previous gen XT brakes I had on several bikes. I dig them quite a bit, excellent power, no pulsing or wobble, they don't fade on long descents. I prefer the feel of Shimano brakes over Hayes and Avid, but I have not tried Hopes or Formulas. I rode ~75 miles over Labor Day weekend with dozens of stream crossings, cow poop, mud, and dust, and there has been zero noticeable decrease in performance but the front one has started to make a bit of a honk.

I'll probably leave it noisy to warn hikers I'm coming around a blind corner.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post
    Huh? Not everyone just goes on Price Point and buys the cheapest rotor there regardless of design?!
    That's the method I prefer. For some reason I keep ending up with Alligator.

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post
    x3
    I've never heard about any rotors wearing out. Do they? How will I know?

Bump for the winter.
    I'm wondering whether anyone has an opinion on rotor brands, shapes & styles.
    I just pulled the 160mm Shimano RT76 off my front wheel (it's the 2 piece that looks like ice tech but isn't) and replaced it with an old one piece Avid 180mm from my parts bin. I trued the Avid and I rubbed it down with alcohol. Now I have the noisiest shittiest braking front brake in the world. Same relatively new pads, on SLX brakes that have worked flawlessly since, forever.
    Do I just suck it and buy an ice tech rotor?
    Is there some kind of magic that comes with a 2 piece rotor design that prevents warping?
    Do I stick with this thing and sand it or hit it with brake fluid?

To clarify, I don't give a fuck about carbon rotors for $200 bucks.

Old pads? If so, it will take a really, really long time to wear the pads down from previous rotor so it can bed in to the "new" rotor. Better idea get new pads and bed-in as you normally would.

I'm rocking center-lock XT 203 and 180 combo- and love them. I thought about trying an XTR "freeza" front rotor next, just for funzies- and cuz its light!

The only thing I have to offer is I ran Avid elixir 9's for ~2 seasons and in the 2nd half of this summer I could not get them to stop squealing no matter what I did: sanded old pads, bought new organic pads, cleaned rotors with rubbing alcohol, bedded new pads, etc... fucking nothing worked. Bought new XT brakes and 180/180 ice tech rotors and I have never had a better braking performance.

In the past few months I have built 10+ Dura-ace and Ui2 pro road bikes with ice pads and center lock rotors and one finger stops you dead. Had a few howl like a stuck pig being dipped in scalding water, but changing the pads out fixed it… Bleeding and set up sucks balls but they work unreal.

Specialized has switched to shimano on a lot of mid-priced enduros and set up is easy and squeal is gone. Bedding them in key.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Bump for the winter.
    I just pulled the 160mm Shimano RT76 off my front wheel (it's the 2 piece that looks like ice tech but isn't) and replaced it with an old one piece Avid 180mm from my parts bin. I trued the Avid and I rubbed it down with alcohol. Now I have the noisiest shittiest braking front brake in the world. Same relatively new pads, on SLX brakes that have worked flawlessly since, forever.
    Is there some kind of magic that comes with a 2 piece rotor design that prevents warping?

I've been using the $20 SLX rotors with my XT brakes for the last season. No warping or noise to speak of, just very solid one finger braking.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Might be worth a look before plopping down twice as much for Ice tech.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Bump for the winter.

Try a long sustained brake - like on a road, downhill - and hold the brake on until the squealing stops and performance returns.

I had this happen Shimano brakes after washing the bike, and that's how I fixed it. I think I got the pads and/or rotors contaminated with soap.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

My XTR 965 brakes started squealing like a stuck pig after 5 years. Changed to new rotor and pads at the same time and they still squealed. Pulled the pads and lubed the pistons and that almost stopped it. I gave up and put on Avid XO Trail brakes and boom, no more squeal. First time EVER that I preferred an Avid over a Shimano brake but then this past summer the SRAM rep hooked me up with a set of the new Guide RSC's and now I'm *almost* a SRAM brake fan. These things are fantastic! Not a fan of DOT fluid though so next will be to try the new top o' the line Magura bling that they sent to me recently but I need a bike to put them on. Good reason to get a full squish fatty methinks

/\ /\ /\ yea, a buddy of mine recently had a pair of SLX brakes go "bad". He tried new rotors and new pads and cleaning and sanding. He swore up and down that the calipers had "died". At the end of the day he sent them back to Shimano (despite the Shim website insisting that you deal with the shop) and they sent him a new set, no questions asked. Easy Peasy.
    I don't think I'm there yet. The squeal is improving after a couple rides of just riding the shit out of the front brake. It's ruining the ride for me, but maybe these things just need a fuck all long bed in period like Chup said. Just don't have big enough hills here. Sucks on so many levels.

Brake Nerds, are new Shimano rotors 'All That?'

Try replacing pads w different "brand"? I remember some shitty pads my mechanic carried for a while that made my brakes squeal and never wore in. It was annoying as hell. He finally changed to another pad manufacturer and my brakes haven't squealed since.
    Last edited by mcski; 12-31-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Could it also be the spokes vibrating? I think I've heard that's a thing, and heard it on my commuter bike.

Anyway, the Trucker pads you can get from Amazon are nice. I got a couple pair of metal pads for my 675's and they're silent (with XT 6-bolt Ice Tech rotors). And they're cheap too. I could have sworn I ordered one set, too, and they sent 2. Joy.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.