Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    hot tip: been using the tech heel block full time and then just swap the toe blocks for AT and ALPINE use.

works for me, no idea if it is within anyone else's comfort range.
    You know that setup will give you more ramp, right? The touring soles are 3-4mm higher than the DIN ones.

Another tip: it's very easy to attach the touring toepiece crooked. So attach the heel fully first, then attach the toe loosely. Snap the toe into your tech binding and pivot it to check the heel socket lines up with the heel pins. If not, just torque it a bit and recheck. Once you're good release the toe lever carefully and tighten the toe screws fully. Recheck as a final step. Try to check the pads are on straight before mounting your binding too, but this is easier said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by BamBam_540 View Post
    You know that setup will give you more ramp, right? The touring soles are 3-4mm higher than the DIN ones.
    add a lifter under your toe pieces.. problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by BamBam_540 View Post
    You know that setup will give you more ramp, right? The touring soles are 3-4mm higher than the DIN
    its 2mm difference in thickness in the toe. if that is make or break... well... switch both. whatever.
    Last edited by marshalolson; 11-13-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Just pulled the trigger on a set of the 120's, stoked to get them out on the glacier this weekend.

If anyone in Tirol/Austria is looking for these, Jennewein in St Anton have them, ask for Geoffrey. 20% discount off boots atm too (officially just for opening day). Not technically open yet, but give 'em a call and they'll sort you out.

coldwater, did Jennewein have any din soles available? Nobody in the UK has 'em yet.

I think so, we didn't talk about them for very long as I can't afford them atm (and most of the time I ski in barons so don't really need them yet). Got the impression they do though €50 IIRC.

On their website they have a 'call you back' function, worth either dropping them an email or calling them/get them to call you.

I've been wrestling with the decision to go with either the 120 or 130 for 3 weeks now. I'm currently in the sally Quest 14 and am relatively happy, but I need dynafit capability (no I'm not buying sally AT blocks). I've tried both the 120s and 130s on a number of times and both fit well. There is a little big toe pressure on both (which I was able to relieve a bit when using a intuition dreamliner) but otherwise they fit great. My dilema is two-fold. One, will I really notice a difference in the flex (coming from a supposed 130 flex quest 14 which is essentially a 120 quest 12 with a different liner) and is it worth the price difference. I can get the 120s for $325 cheaper than 130s. I could use some of that money savings to put into an intuition liner as well. halp!

^Sorry can't help with a direct comparison, but in lieu of hoping to try on 130s later in the season when i come through Van, are the 130s well stocked through town? Who's carrying them?

Also, how does the flex compare between the two on the carpet with intuition in both? I'm hoping to swap between soles and between stock and intuition tongue liner for a solyfitted dps this winter, switching to tour mode might take all night!

And to help answer your question, how do both boots compare to your quest, would you like something stiffer? and what skis/ bindings are you pairing them with?

Wren,
    If you are happy with the fit of the Quest 14 with no mods, I would recommend going with the 130s (more expensive base price, plus cost of tech soles aside). The narrower last will pay dividends in the time to come.

I could not fit into a Quest 14 without heavy modification, and am in a Cochise 120 with little work over all (ground heel out, cooked shells, added footbed and Powerwrap)

been on my pro's three days now, wicked good boot.
    had quest 14's, hated the flex, no front end stopping point.
    how does one ski like that?
    i'm 5'11, 155 lbs, the 130 feels perfect to me. nice upright, neutral feeling position.
    plus the top buckle/strap, wraps my chicken legs way better than any Booster i've had.
    comfortable ripping hardpack all day, i'm gonna use it in beer league this season.
    skinned up the ski hill 1800 vert, they went up really well.
    i use F12 Tour's, alpine soles for me.
    stoked on this boot!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Anybody try the 110's yet? I tried on the 120's in a shop and they fit well with the powerwraps from my old Solly Impact 110's. I'm thinking I could save a bit of cash and just get the 110's because they come stock with DIN soles and would prob be similar in flex to my current boots. Cant find a pair to try on though...
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

I'm about to get into the Pro 130 in a 26.5. Coming out of a 27.5 Atomic Tracker 130. I've tried on the 26.5 Pro 130 and know it's right but will need work. Have heard of folks going with a bigger liner. Stock Tecnica liner? 27.5? Other liners? Intuition? Zipfit? School me!

why not just try the liner that it comes with. you can't buy shell only anyways...

The stock liners are working for most people, once they ski them, or heat mold them

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    why not just try the liner that it comes with. you can't buy shell only anyways...

The stock liners are working for most people, once they ski them, or heat mold them
    Wait, are the stock 130 liners heat moldable?

Quote Originally Posted by Tutuko View Post
    Just about all liners are "heat moldable". The 130 liners are not thermo form liners like Intuitions or the Palau liners that come in the Cochise Pro Light but you can put them on the heat stacks in a shop to mold them a bit. Any liner that gets heated on the stacks in a shop just takes a few days out of the break in process at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutuko View Post
    Yes. What boot doesn't come with a moldable liner? I find the 130 liners fit pretty true length wise. And they ski great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiersLeft View Post
    Yes. What boot doesn't come with a moldable liner? I find the 130 liners fit pretty true length wise. And they ski great as well.
    Plug boots.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Plug boots.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums
    Ah ha. Again what learned.

Adding the Pro lights to my short list of boot quiver future replacement/additions.
    watch out for snakes

If anyone needs a new 110 light. In 25. Pm me. $500

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    If anyone needs a new 110 light. In 25. Pm me. $500
    Have you tried the 110? If so, how does it compare in flex to a Solly Impact 10?
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

The Pro Light is said to be a 120 flex, the Cochise 110 is a different model and not a "Light'.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Spartan View Post
    Anyone else cook their Palau liners? Same as an intuition? 220 in a convection oven for like eight minutes?
    How did it it work out? Getting ready to cook the liners for my Lights. Good following the Intuition thread recs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubelale View Post
    How did it it work out? Getting ready to cook the liners for my Lights. Good following the Intuition thread recs?
    I actually ended up calling Tecnica cause I didn't want to burn them. Official instructions were 180 for ten minutes.

I had access to a Fischer oven at 170 or an old ass raichle oven that's had a bunch of pizza in it. So I went with 170 for like 12 minutes. It got nice and gushy like an intuition but not nearly as puffy. Did the whole toe cap thing and the toe box is dialed now.

I'm in 110s considering I have a tiny penis and the stock liner in that thing is plushy as shit around the ankle. Less so with the Pro light liner I snagged off of this thread. I do get a little heel lift if I try to make it happen (I.E. toe off motion) which is kinda frustrating. I haven't decided if I'm going to recook or stick Lpads down there and see if that takes care of it.

It is completely possible I fucked something up, and would love to hear any other reports on cooking the liner. I am also coming from an inferno and didn't downsize because it took a good amount of work to fit my toes in that boot. So maybe I'm just not used to a larger lasted boot.

Or I may just say fuck it and ski it and see what happens.

As far as flex of the 110 goes, it flexes softer than my inferno 110 with both t nuts in the back. Can't speak to cold temps or solly boots though. Never could fit my instep in one of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Spartan View Post
    I actually ended up calling Tecnica cause I didn't want to burn them. Official instructions were 180 for ten minutes.

I had access to a Fischer oven at 170 or an old ass raichle oven that's had a bunch of pizza in it. So I went with 170 for like 12 minutes. It got nice and gushy like an intuition but not nearly as puffy. Did the whole toe cap thing and the toe box is dialed now.

I'm in 110s considering I have a tiny penis and the stock liner in that thing is plushy as shit around the ankle. Less so with the Pro light liner I snagged off of this thread. I do get a little heel lift if I try to make it happen (I.E. toe off motion) which is kinda frustrating. I haven't decided if I'm going to recook or stick Lpads down there and see if that takes care of it.

It is completely possible I fucked something up, and would love to hear any other reports on cooking the liner. I am also coming from an inferno and didn't downsize because it took a good amount of work to fit my toes in that boot. So maybe I'm just not used to a larger lasted boot.

Or I may just say fuck it and ski it and see what happens.

As far as flex of the 110 goes, it flexes softer than my inferno 110 with both t nuts in the back. Can't speak to cold temps or solly boots though. Never could fit my instep in one of those things.
    Infernos are one of the lowest volume 98mm lasts on the market. The Cochise 110 is a larger lasted boot for sure plus when you put the really low volume Palau liner in there you will get more room. The Palau liners don't really expand as much as Intuition or get as "puffy" as you say. You didn't do anything wrong these liners just don't take up as much volume in the boot. You might need some L pads to hold your heel/ankle down better.