Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    The inserts come out pretty easily from underneath the bootboard. Try calling Tecnica for replacements if you're worried.

Or replace them with stainless t-nuts, though metric stainless can be hard to find.

I really cant imagine you'll have the boots long enough for rust to be a factor. Its take a long time for rust to eat through a steel plate, or the screw for that matter.

If anyone has a pair of Cochise tech soles you'd like to unload, please PM me. Thanks.
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

Speaking of the tech soles..

Anyone with Pro Lights ever weighed their tech soles?

I got the (2nd gen) universal tech soles last season for my 130's and boy are they heavy. I think they added about 100g per boot over the DIN soles, if I'm remembering right. I can weigh them again for comparison if anyone has a weight for the Pro Light soles.

Sounds about right, the tech soles do add a surprising amount of weight. They have a lot more rubber than needed, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Sounds about right, the tech soles do add a surprising amount of weight. They have a lot more rubber than needed, IMHO.
    And the plastic bit in the center ices up, but they're still great boots.

Weighed the grey/blue tech soles from my Cochise Lights (from late winter '12/'13), and they're 240g for one toe & heel (with wood screw for heel tech plate). Don't know if they're the new version toe or not: plastic strip in center says ISO 9523, sticker says made in Hungary, and the toe has little triangles molded into the plastic to make step-in alignment easier. The toe sockets look nice, and Dynafit toe pins seem to ride a bit deeper in the sockets than they appear in the photos of the problem Bodacious toes. These might be the new toes.

The universal DIN soles I picked up are 160g, so swapping to tech soles adds 80g per boot.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 08-20-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the new cochise pro liner compares to a powerwrap? I'm trying to decide whether to keep the powerwraps from my old boots (they've only seen 15 days or so) or mold the new liner. Should I just use the one that fits better or are there other considerations? I don't tend to get cold feet, so the extra warmth of the PW isn't reeeeaally necessary, but the weight savings aren't insignificunt. Am I overthinking this?

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts on how the new cochise pro liner compares to a powerwrap? I'm trying to decide whether to keep the powerwraps from my old boots (they've only seen 15 days or so) or mold the new liner. Should I just use the one that fits better or are there other considerations? I don't tend to get cold feet, so the extra warmth of the PW isn't reeeeaally necessary, but the weight savings aren't insignificunt. Am I overthinking this?
    My take. Cochise pro liner's have better heal hold out of the box. You can fix that on the powerwrap by putting on c-pad around the ankle. Powerwrap will be lighter and flex a little less for touring. I used powerwraps in mine all last season, and touring wasn't bad at all in them. The newer Cochise liner is really nice though. If my boots came with that liner, instead of the POS liner from the year before, I probably wouldn't have gotten powerwraps. I'd likely just try the cochise liner first and see if you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    First: yes, you are over thinking this

but, all liners need break in period, and intuitions are just about always warmer and lighter then a stock liner. So why not use a liner that is already packed out a bit to your foot, and will be nicer to use?

put the intuition in the boot, and use that. Keep the technica stock liners as new, and then when you re-sell the boots, you can sell them with "brand new liners"

I haven't heard of anyone else breaking these boots like this but thought Id throw this out there. I ripped the fittings for the front of the toe sole block out of the boot last spring. I was skiing splatula's on a pow day last spring and hit a wind blown patch of hard snow. I slid out on the hard snow and when I got up I noticed the toe didn't look right. It was an easy fix to use some voile straps to get back to the car. Jsut had to keep most of my weight off my right ski. I thought I had just broken the sole block until I too everything apart.

I have a new pair of boots from tecnica and should have a new set of tech soles soon so warranty wasn't a problem.

"College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

^^that's pretty crazy, but good to hear the warranty came through.

Bern43, you're right about the heel hold on the new liners - they are pretty locked in out of the box. I already have some pad mods on my intuitions, so I'll give those a shot and sell my old cochise's with the new pro liner.

Thanks gents.

^wow, not going to loose that image from my mind

^ Wow. Scary.
    Just think of the bad publicity Salomon got from an identical failure....
    Though statistically one failure tells you nothing about reliability

Skied new pair of 120 Pro Lites boots last week.
    If you want a touring boot then this seems to have plenty downhill performance.
    No need for the 130s if your getting them primarily as a touring boot (IMHO).
    Fit my wider feet great (like most technicas)

Does anybody know when I can get the tech sole blocks for this year? I can't seem to find any dealers on-line. Suggestions?

thanks

Tecnica? Or are you looking for a deal?

http://shop.tecnicausa.com/Product/0...-tech-sole-kit

Oh nice. Didn't think to look there - duh! I just looked at online dealers

So I want a new thicker liner for my 12/13 Cochise pro light. The upper edge of the boot bites my shin and gets quite painfull after a few days of skiing. So I think I'll keep using the original liner when I tour and buy a new Intuition for liftserved skiing. But powerwraps or dreamliners? I like the flex as is, how much stiffer will a powerwrap feel?

I was wondering if anybody could help me out with cuff height on the cochise.

I am currently skiing Lange Banshee pro's which I keep falling back too. Its not a perfect boot but we work well together. I like the cuff height of this boot. I tried some Dynafit Titan ultralights this past year, which did work for awhile, but the more I skied hard on them, the more it seemed like I was "hinging" over the top of the boot. That hinge point felt like it was right at the top of the plastic upper shell, which on the dynafit is lower than the langes.

The more I have been reading on the cochise it sounds like it has a lower cuff height too. Can anyone verify this? and/or compare to either of the boots that I have used in the past.

I would really like to have an AT boot with swapable soles as my go-to-everyday boot; if the cochise isn't the boot, is there another AT boot that would have a higher cuff height with a 98mm last that I should take a look at?

Compared to an older pair of Langes I had the Cochise have a lower cuff height. Putting in a pair of powerwraps seemed to extend it though.

Could be wrong but I seem to remember those Banshee pros being really tall in the back but not having an exceptionally high cuff in the front. Like there was a pretty big difference in height between the front and back. At least a lot of the older Lange molds were like that.

I think when going to the Cochise you might notice the more upright stance and the lower cuff in the back more than anything else. I had to add an extra spoiler that I screwed into the back of my 120s last year to add a little more forward lean and a little height/support to the back of the boot. Too I grabbed a Super thick spoiler off a Lange to Velcro to the liner. I've got chicken legs though so if you have bigger calves this might not be an issue.

The tongue comes up a bit higher on this year's Cochise. The original ones had really low and kinda hard tongues. They got better last year and should be even better for this year. Overall the liner on the 110-130 is again improved over last years.

I don't think you'll have in issue with cuff height in the front but you might need to add a little height/lean in the back.

For people making a jump off of Kryptons or Full Tilts yeah they might feel low as those boots have super high cuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Could be wrong but I seem to remember those Banshee pros being really tall in the back but not having an exceptionally high cuff in the front. Like there was a pretty big difference in height between the front and back. At least a lot of the older Lange molds were like that.

I think when going to the Cochise you might notice the more upright stance and the lower cuff in the back more than anything else. I had to add an extra spoiler that I screwed into the back of my 120s last year to add a little more forward lean and a little height/support to the back of the boot. Too I grabbed a Super thick spoiler off a Lange to Velcro to the liner. I've got chicken legs though so if you have bigger calves this might not be an issue.

The tongue comes up a bit higher on this year's Cochise. The original ones had really low and kinda hard tongues. They got better last year and should be even better for this year. Overall the liner on the 110-130 is again improved over last years.

I don't think you'll have in issue with cuff height in the front but you might need to add a little height/lean in the back.

For people making a jump off of Kryptons or Full Tilts yeah they might feel low as those boots have super high cuffs.

Thanks for the info. I have tiny chicken legs too. I actually use eliminators just to fill out room in my cuff as I have already moved the buckles over and have them virtually completely cranked down. They dynafits were much better for being able to fit my leg, but the front cuff was too low (where the plastic wraps around the front, not the liner cuff). The back cuff on it seemed fine.

The other option would possibly be the Salomon Quest Max BC 120 - I am not sure if it has a higher plastic cuff in the front. It sort of looks that way, but I am unable to see it in person. I just don't want to go through the 1/2 season experience like I did with the Titans where I kept playing with the boot and then wasn't ever happy with it and went back to my old langes.

Hey BB,

I bought some din soles for my AT Pro Lights from Christys Sports.....tech soles there too:

http://store.christysports.com/catal...mpatable_soles

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post