Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flatNshallow View Post
    Could excess torque on the front 2 toe piece screws that go thru the tech fitting have contributed to the excess wear, lock mode required issue discussed earlier? It would seem that high torque applied to either of these could potentially twist things a little and effect big changes in the fitting to clamp interaction... Like I said, irresponsible.
    i have at least 40 days of hard skiing on my tech fittings, with the screws tightened super tight, and no issues.

1 data point only.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Are there any changes to the walk/ski mode locking mechanism this year? I've got last years 120s and I often get stuck in walk mode, and since everything is internal it's impossible to get any ice or snow out.

Also I recommend some Loctite in the canting adjustment - mine managed to work itself lose by the end of each day on my right boot and has now warn away the washer type thing with the off-centre hole.

Update: I was getting heel lift after not sizing down and going to the Cochise last from an inferno. Used a palau liner and wasn't really digging it.

Recently put c pads on inside and outside of foot and now I'm basically locked down. Haven't skiied them since the update but I'm feeling much better about the boot than I did a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by red720 View Post
    Are there any changes to the walk/ski mode locking mechanism this year? I've got last years 120s and I often get stuck in walk mode, and since everything is internal it's impossible to get any ice or snow out.
    I am still using last year's 120s. They have frozen up on me once. I just cycled them through a couple of times and flexed the boot back and forth. Fixed it no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Spartan View Post
    Update: I was getting heel lift after not sizing down and going to the Cochise last from an inferno. Used a palau liner and wasn't really digging it.

Recently put c pads on inside and outside of foot and now I'm basically locked down. Haven't skiied them since the update but I'm feeling much better about the boot than I did a week ago.
    I had C-pads in my last-season's Cochise and while they vastly improved heel-hold, they really impaired the walk flexibility of the liners. I now have this year's 120 with the updated liners, but have yet to really ski them hard. I'm hoping the new liners allow me to not use any pads.

I'd be interested to hear your feedback once you've skied and toured yours a bit.

For those with heel lift on the older models, Intuition PW liners solved my problems. You give up some flexibility though.

Quote Originally Posted by crank54 View Post
    I had C-pads in my last-season's Cochise and while they vastly improved heel-hold, they really impaired the walk flexibility of the liners. I now have this year's 120 with the updated liners, but have yet to really ski them hard. I'm hoping the new liners allow me to not use any pads.

I'd be interested to hear your feedback once you've skied and toured yours a bit.
    I did wonder about that. I'm not doing any multi day tours or anything so I may just deal with decreased motion for better downhill performance. I'll update as it happens though.

My Cochise Lights arrived, but unfortunately size 26.5 was shipped instead of 25.5. Before shipping them back I carefully checked the shell fit, and with my exactly 26.0 right foot (slightly larger of the two) I have about 18mm of space behind my heel. Just too much. The 26.5 Light has a 310 BSL, and my comfy Skookums are 305 BSL (which are biased for enough length for unbuckled hiking comfort with Mobe liners).

Also, the upper cuffs/thin liners are too big for my skinny calves, so there's quite a bit of play before the boot flexes, even with the third buckle and the top strap extremely tight. Adding the velcro shims that come with the boots to the liner took up nearly all of the gap and helped a ton. Maybe the 25 upper cuff will be slightly smaller than the 26 and won't need the shims, or maybe will only need one of them.

Nuts, guess the Lights will have to go back for exchange.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-29-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    hot tip: been using the tech heel block full time and then just swap the toe blocks for AT and ALPINE use.

works for me, no idea if it is within anyone else's comfort range.
    This is the hot tip and is worthy of being repeated. Best to avoid continually screwing/unscrewing the rear tech fitting into the plastic for sure. Works flawlessly with pivots and for the super anal out there, 1 1/2mm difference in heel height between tech and din heels.

Quote Originally Posted by Winkler View Post
    This is the hot tip and is worthy of being repeated. Best to avoid continually screwing/unscrewing the rear tech fitting into the plastic for sure. Works flawlessly with pivots and for the super anal out there, 1 1/2mm difference in heel height between tech and din heels.
    That is a good tip but I prefer no swapping with Sollie bindings and Tecnica AT soles. My S914's seem fine with the Cochise AT soles.

So to confirm, tech heel is fine in fks? Will speed things up if so

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    My Cochise Lights arrived, but unfortunately size 26.5 was shipped instead of 25.5. Before shipping them back I carefully checked the shell fit, and with my exactly 26.0 right foot (slightly larger of the two) I have about 18mm of space behind my heel. Just too much. The 26.5 Light has a 310 BSL, and my comfy Skookums are 305 BSL (which are biased for enough length for unbuckled hiking comfort with Mobe liners).

Nuts, guess the Lights will have to go back for exchange.
    If you end up needed a 25, PM me.

Confirmed. Tech heel is fine in FKS.

+1 on tech heel and fks

Seriously considering trying the Pro 130s to replace my FT Seths and gain some dynafittabilities. Using the stock liner from the FTs, I´m heading to a store next week for some shell-fit action. Is the Pro 130 26/26.5 a 310 BSL?

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Seriously considering trying the Pro 130s to replace my FT Seths and gain some dynafittabilities. Using the stock liner from the FTs, I´m heading to a store next week for some shell-fit action. Is the Pro 130 26/26.5 a 310 BSL?
    Yup

I went from 301mm ft to 310mm Cochise light. Fits similar

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    90 uses the same Triax plastic as the Light, 130 and 120. Cochise 110 and 100 are PU.
    Sure about that? The Tecnica web site says all Cochise models except the 100 are Triax. The 100 doesn't specify shell material. (Maybe the 2012 Bushwacker was PU, but they changed to Triax with the 110 model?)

Checked out the tour mode mechanism, and it really only unlocks the cuff for additional rearward movement. The forward flex/range is the same regardless of whether you're in ski or tour mode, so any additional forward range of motion comes only from loosening the buckles on the upper cuff.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-29-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Sure about that? The Tecnica web site says all Cochise models except the 100 are Triax. The 100 doesn't specify shell material. (Maybe the 2012 Bushwacker was PU, but they changed to Triax with the 110 model?)

Checked out the tour mode mechanism, and it really only unlocks the cuff for additional rearward movement. The forward flex/range is the same regardless of whether you're in ski or tour mode, so any additional forward range of motion comes only from loosening the buckles on the upper cuff.
    Yup 100% positive. Look at them. Anything with the two colored swirled effect is Triax. 110, 100, 100 W are PU. See how they're see through. You can't get translucence with Triax. 110 for 13/14 will be Triax however.

And yes you have to pop the buckles to get more ROM, same as any overlap touring boot. However no messing with Velcro powerstrap is a plus. Just pop buckles.

Quote Originally Posted by red720 View Post
    My Cochise 120s got stuck in walk mode today, too. First time it's happened, and no amount of cycling them in and out of walk mode would fix it. Oddly enough, after a wobbly 2500 ft descent, both of them locked into ski mode. No idea what caused the failure but I'd love to hear if others have had similar issues and were able to fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by werdswerf View Post
    My Cochise 120s got stuck in walk mode today, too. First time it's happened, and no amount of cycling them in and out of walk mode would fix it. Oddly enough, after a wobbly 2500 ft descent, both of them locked into ski mode. No idea what caused the failure but I'd love to hear if others have had similar issues and were able to fix them.
    I don't know exactly what happened but something similar happened to me. Skiing switch and either the lock never fully engaged or it popped loose two days ago in one boot. Not ideal. Didn't happen again though for the next two days I skiied it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLad View Post
    I went from 301mm ft to 310mm Cochise light. Fits similar
    Was that with a shell fit? Interdsting..

norsk

By similar I mean for my feet. Though I didn't need any punches in the Cochise vs. 6th toe and big toe punches in the full tilt. The longer shell and slightly wider last helped there.

in BSL vs shell fit the FT are super short and the technica super long. this is common IN THIS BRAND combo

Thanks, both^^. One of the next few days were heading out for trying boots. Looking forward to it.

norsk