Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Good info, thanks. I cooked mine in a standard oven, heated to 230 and shut off, for about 8 minutes. I was thinking I could have gone longer because they weren't as puffy as I expected, but probably good I didn't. Molded without a footbed and they seem pretty nice. I put in shims to take up some space.

I've cooked my Cochise Pro Light (Palau) liner twice in the past week. It was done both times in an Intuition oven, I'm not sure of the exact specs as it was the boot fitter who was doing it. But each time I've had a sweet fitting boot in the store and for about the next hour as we messed around with punches, skis, bullshit, etc. Then the next day, I cant get the damn boot to fit. It almost feels like the liner returns back to it's original size. I was shell fit in a 27.0 and the liner is a 275 Palau, when the liner is first heat moulded I have almost an extra inch in the toe box beyond the stitching of the liner sole. When I try the boot on the next day it seems like this has decreased and my toes are getting squished on both the sides and from the ends.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Anyone know where I can buy the top buckle/power strap from the 130 Pro???? I have skinny legs that would make a chicken envious and I cant get the regular power strap to cinch up. This wasnt a problem in either the Cochise 120 or 130.

Just to reiterate some of what has been said in this thread already...

My foot measures at a 26 pretty much on the nose and is wide in the front, with a narrow heel, very low volume around and in front of the fold of the ankle. I find it chronically hard to get boots that fit because of my duck feet. I normally ski a Dalbello Proton 12 in a 25.5 which fits me perfectly off the shelf- wide in the front and low volume in the back. I also have skied original BD factors in a 25.5 which were great the first year but packed out quickly, and I did not have great success fixing them with intuition liners.

I tried on the 25.5 pro light (which i wanted for the weight savings and flex) and found the liner too low volume for my already low volume foot. I then tried the 130 pro, also in a 25.5, on one foot and my alpine dalbello's on the other and thought the fit and flex, in the shop, seemed quite similar. In fact, I thought i might need the shell blown out a bit in front of my big toe and lateral to my little toe knuckle. Apart from that they seemed good. So I bought them.

I now have just a half day touring and a half day at the resort in and already can say the following...

1) These definitely need to be sized down. There now seems to be plenty of toe room, and there is still way too much volume at the fold of the ankle. When I flex forward, instead of flexing the boot, i just lever against the top of the tongue and force my foot back into the heel pocket where I have too much length and volume, in spite of having barely a finger of space on a shell fit. I should probably be in a 24.5- but they don't come that small.

2) If I crank up the one cuff buckle to try and tighten around my ankle, the cuff gets too tight around my calf and the booster strap is pretty much redundant. So that does not offer any real solution.

3) These boots definitely stiffen up a lot in the cold vs. my alpine boots. They are probably too stiff a boot for me to be honest, though its hard to tell without a better fit.

I'm now wondering whether to struggle to get these to fit, or to throw in the towel and sell them 'barely used.'

On the whole, I'd strongly concur with the suggestion of sizing down vs. alpine boots.

What are the performance differences between the 130 pro and the bodacious? Is the flex the same? how do the walk modes compare?

Quote Originally Posted by srsosbso View Post
    I'm now wondering whether to struggle to get these to fit, or to throw in the towel and sell them 'barely used.'
    How about trying a high-volume Intuition liner, like the Luxury HV? And maybe with a Bontex shim under the liner?

That's good advice. It's frustrating because I decided not to buy the pro lights because I would have needed to also buy a different liner, and now I am looking at that option anyway. And I am afraid these 130's are just too stiff in the cold for me. I'm going to have to see what the shop will do for me. I've skied them, so a simple return is not an option.

Pro lights here. Not bad so far but I do need to do so something to take up volume around my chicken legs. Palau liner doesn't do much there.

Srsosbro, A good boot fitter can readily address your issues above, if you really have a 1 finger or smaller shell fit, and likely without new liner (grind heel pocket ribs, pie cuts in lowers, eliminator shin pad for volume)

Thanks Marshal. I rechecked the shell fit and I basically can get a finger in there with a little front to back wiggle room, depending on where I check (ie. at the bottom or part way up my heel.) I have miniscule hands and fingers, so probably closer to 1 or 1.5 cm than the .5cm I originally guessed. This is the smallest shell size this boot comes in, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLad View Post
    Pro lights here. Not bad so far but I do need to do so something to take up volume around my chicken legs. Palau liner doesn't do much there.
    I also am chicken-leggy.

My 120s have slots to move the upper buckles. You could try that. Also, replace the powerstrap with the buckled one from the Pro 130. Super nice for yoyoing and it skis SO much better, since you can really crank it down. This feature is now pretty much a must have on any boot from now on. Way better than a 4 buckle boot with traditional powerstrap. The change in power transmission and control is kind of surprising.

Yep already moved the buckle and replaced power strap with a booster.

Try shell fitting with a sharpie marker?

Sharpie with a little wiggle room. 13mm maybe?

I'll throw my two cents in here too. Got pair of 130 Pros in 26.5, downsized from Garmont Shaman 27.0 (317 BSL to 310 BSL). I have skinny calves, low volume heel/ankle, average volume forefoot. My shell fit on the the 130s is about 10mm R foot, 15mm L foot. With stock liners + my custom footbeds, my R foot feels too tight on the inside of R big toe (my bigger foot), but I still have a little too much room in front of/above my instep. The heel hold on the stock liners for the Pros is actually pretty amazing out of the box, though I'm sure it will pack out with time.
    I'm a Blister Gear Review fanboi, so I sprung for a set of 26.5 WC SE Zipfit liners after reading their glowing review of Zipfit's performance benefits. Honestly, after two days resort and one day touring with the stock liners, and one day resort with the WC SE Zipfits, I thought the stock liners performed better. Superior heel hold for sure, and with the exception of being too short for my R big toe, the stock liner fit was generally superior to the WC Zipfits. The WC Zipfits are being returned.

I've been riding a Dynafit Titan UL, still too wide in the toe box even with mods including Intuition liners (both PW and Dreamliner). I like the idea of the 98 mm last in the Cochise 130 Pro. Can anyone compare the flex of the Titan UL to the Cochise 130 Pro? I'd consider the Pro Light also with a 120 flex if anyone can compare the 100 mm last of this boot to the wider Titan UL. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tDot13 View Post
    I've cooked my Cochise Pro Light (Palau) liner twice in the past week. It was done both times in an Intuition oven, I'm not sure of the exact specs as it was the boot fitter who was doing it. But each time I've had a sweet fitting boot in the store and for about the next hour as we messed around with punches, skis, bullshit, etc. Then the next day, I cant get the damn boot to fit. It almost feels like the liner returns back to it's original size. I was shell fit in a 27.0 and the liner is a 275 Palau, when the liner is first heat moulded I have almost an extra inch in the toe box beyond the stitching of the liner sole. When I try the boot on the next day it seems like this has decreased and my toes are getting squished on both the sides and from the ends.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Anyone know where I can buy the top buckle/power strap from the 130 Pro???? I have skinny legs that would make a chicken envious and I cant get the regular power strap to cinch up. This wasnt a problem in either the Cochise 120 or 130.
    I'm doing the buckle mod to my Pro Lights. Technica sells the two buckles and associated rivits. You or your boot fitter drill out your current power strap rivits, swap the power straps left to right and vice versa, and mount the buckles in the pre-existing holes on the outside off the cuff.

Since most people seem to want this mod, several of the shops here in Truckee have ordered extra buckles ("Bullfighter" buckles). Otherwise your local shop can just order some in in a week or two.

Cross posting from the Tech sole fail thread for more eyeballs...

Quote Originally Posted by flatNshallow View Post
    Removed the tech soles from my Cochise 120's last night and noticed something odd...

I noticed a big difference between the torque on the heal piece screws and the toe piece screws.

Heel: high breakaway torque, all screws roughly same torque.

Toe: rear 2 screws had less torque than heal screws but noticebly more than the front screws in the toe pieces. The front toe.piece screws had barely any torque at all on them AND these two screws have what can only be red loktite on the threads...

Is it supposed to be this way?

Why low torque + loktite on toe fronts?

Any specific torque requirements when reattaching sole plates?
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

I tossed some nordica drive plates into my cochise 120s (w/ PWs) and really like the change in flex. Stiffer, but most notably it brought the pressure further up my shin, giving more leverage over the boot. I will take pics when I get time.

For all of you with straight chicken legs, the boot is going to flex stiffer for you, once it is properly adjusted. I suggest that you first focus on the back of the boot behind the Achilles and ankle bones and make sure you are getting a smooth contact up the spine of the shell. Once that is achieved, add high density foam shims to the tongue of the liner to take up volume, keeping your foot and leg as far back into the boot as possible.

Difference in the front toes are likely due to the fact that they screw through the tech fitting, itself. See the images on Lou Dawson's site.

flatnshallow, i run all bolts should be the same torque (i.e. very snug). a couple loosened up a little on the first couple days, and have not backed out at all since.

just FWIW.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Did you use Loctite when you changed from tech to DIN sole blocks and vice versa?

I haven't needed to use loctite when switching. This includes pounding firm chop and mogul fields on Dynafits (surprised how hard I can charge on Speeds, but I'm only 165 and am a pretty good skier).

This was the first removal from new bird - the screws were (I assume) factory installed.

Really surprised me. Only the 2 front toe piece screws were "loose" and by loose I mean they probably could have been removed without the Allen key if you could get your fingers on them. And it was these, and only these that had the red loctite on them. Coincidence? Doubtful.

After checking out Lou's write up & pics I understand how thing go together in the tech toes... Which leads me to some irresponsible speculation...

Could excess torque on the front 2 toe piece screws that go thru the tech fitting have contributed to the excess wear, lock mode required issue discussed earlier? It would seem that high torque applied to either of these could potentially twist things a little and effect big changes in the fitting to clamp interaction... Like I said, irresponsible.

Anyway, if those screws were supposed to be torqued in a special way I would think it would be spelled out clearly in the literature...
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."

I've torqued those toe screws pretty good more than a few times and have pounded the shit out of the boots using tech fittings. I'm not about to start worrying about it based on my experience.

^^^ right on, thanks for setting my mind at ease.