Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Not trying to kiss Marshal's a$$ but I think he described the fit of this boot really well. I tried the Cochise 120. It's a great "one boot" design/function but most will find they need liner work to get the right fit. IMO the Cochise 120 liner is not right. The '13 liner is too thick in the forefoot and takes up too much volume in the width for a 100mm lasted boot. The heel pocket is great but Tecnica needs to make the liner much thinner in the front area. I really wanted to buy this boot but the stock fit is a no-go (too narrow/tight in width). I have a D+ width foot and got a great shell fit by downsizing one size but the stock liner ruined the forefoot volume for me. I also tried the boot with a thin Salomon race boot liner and the forefoot width was perfect. Unfortunately, the low volume Salomon liner was not able to provide a tight heel pocket fit needed in the Cochise shell. Therefore, Marshal's recommendation of a zip fit liner that is high volume in the heel and low volume in the forefoot is probably right-on but this is more effort and cost than I care to invest. I plan to try the Pro Light before moving on to another brand for the right fit. However, if you have a C-D width foot these may work great for you.
    Last edited by hrdude; 10-15-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrdude View Post
    Not trying to kiss Marshal's a$$ but I think he described the fit of this boot really well. I tried the Cochise 120. It's a great "one boot" design/function but most will find they need liner work to get the right fit. IMO the Cochise 120 liner is not right. The '13 liner is too thick in the forefoot and takes up too much volume in the forefoot for a 100mm lasted boot. The heel pocket is great but Tecnica needs to make the liner much thinner in the front area. I really wanted to buy this boot but the stock fit is a no-go (too narrow/tight in width). I have a D width foot and got a great shell fit by downsizing one size but the stock liner ruined the forefoot volume for me. I also tried the boot with a thin Salomon race boot liner and the forefoot width was perfect. Unfortunately, the low volume Salomon liner was not able to provide the heel pocket fit needed in the Cochise shell. Therefore, Marshal's recommendation of a zip fit liner that is high volume in the heel and low volume in the forefoot is probably right-on but this is more effort and cost than I care to invest. I plan to try the Pro Light before moving on to another brand for the right fit. However, if you have a C width foot these may work great for you.
    So the liner was causing you pain?

You compared the fit to other 100mm fits from other brands? I hadn't tried on the improved Cochise 120 yet so went into a local shop here in SLC and tried them on compared to the XT130 (non lv), quest max 120, Demon 130 and I would say width wise they're all pretty similar with the Quest Max actually feeling the widest of them all (isn't it supposed to be 98?). Cochise still had more volume over the top of my foot (more in the front versus instep as I have a high instep.

Only tried them all on my left foot which measures a 13D on a Branic. I was trying on 28.5s.

I would say D width would have no problem with the Cochise mold. If you do have a wide foot you can stretch the shit out of them as well. I saw someone get a 110mm foot into one last year no problem. I think I took a pic of it which I'll try to find.

Paging Marshal: I have exactly 260mm long feet and have 25.5 Cochise Lights on the way (was a tight one-finger shell fit in the 25.5 Pro 130), think I could get 27 HV Luxury liners in the Lights or would 26 be better? (Going with the Luxury instead of PW because I don't need any more stiffness and want a touring bias.)

I tried on uncooked 27 Pro Tours (which Intuition says are medium volume) in my 26.5/27.0 Skookums last season and they were definitely too low-volume for those shells with my feet, LOTS of slop. Currently using molded 26.5 Mobe liners in the Skookums, which are very comfortable but the shells are *almost* too big at 1.5 fingers. (Tried to make a pair of 25.5/26 Typhoons work but they were just too short, even after baking. Thus the current 26.5 Skookums.)

Thinking the 26.5 Mobe liner is probably a 27 HV Luxury, just concerned that it might be too much length for the 25.5 Light shell. Thanks for any advice, wish I could wait for the boots to arrive but the Intuition group buy is almost over.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 10-09-2012 at 08:47 PM.

@oaks, pm sent
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

If you wouldn't mind sharing the outcome on this I'm interested ^^^^ TIA

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Paging Marshal: I have exactly 260mm long feet and have 25.5 Cochise Lights on the way (was a tight one-finger shell fit in the 25.5 Pro 130)
    Oaks - Lemme know how this turns out - nobody here has 25.5's so I've only tried 26.5's which are swimmy on my "little" right foot.
    My right foot sounds like it'd be perfect for a 25.5 at 261mm, but the left is 268mm so that causes toenail loss in the past (skiing punched/blown out 25.5 lange superblasters).

I've got wide feet so I'd be a cochise light buyer, but anyone have ideas on if the toebox can get blown out enough to deal with the too long foot & still work for an EE width?

I guess the other option is go with a 26.5 and do lots of fiddling with taking up volume on the right foot.

WHY DO THEY NOT LET ME BUY DIFFERENT BOOT SIZES FOR EACH FOOT. IT'S NOT THAT WEIRD.

Quote Originally Posted by flyman683 View Post
    WHY DO THEY NOT LET ME BUY DIFFERENT BOOT SIZES FOR EACH FOOT. IT'S NOT THAT WEIRD.
    I get why a shop wouldn't because obviously they buy them in pairs, but have you considered contacting Tecnica (or whichever company) directly? They might be able to help you out.

You can, depending on the foot, get another 5 mm of length out of the boot, by grinding behind the heel. I did that for mine and it worked well. However, be carful due to the already high instep hight and open ankle, it can be easy to get to much room infront of the lower shin.

Bump with question: does anyone know if the fit of the Cochise 120 and the Cochise Pro 130 shells are the same? I'm trying to take Marshal's advice and try a smaller shell size, but the Pro is selling like hotcakes and I literally can't find a size 27 shell in Boulder. Wondering if I can just try the 120 instead (assuming I can find one of those).
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Nope not the same. They're not drastically different but enough so I would try to find a 130 if you are wanting the 130.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Bump with question: does anyone know if the fit of the Cochise 120 and the Cochise Pro 130 shells are the same? I'm trying to take Marshal's advice and try a smaller shell size, but the Pro is selling like hotcakes and I literally can't find a size 27 shell in Boulder. Wondering if I can just try the 120 instead (assuming I can find one of those).
    they are not the same, but pretty close. if you can fit the 120, you can fit a 130 IMO. the 130 is a tiny bit snugger throughout, but the overall foot shape is pretty darn similar.

if you like the 120/light shape, but want it a little stiffer with a *tiny* bit more compression on your foot and heel hold, then the 130 is the call.
    Last edited by marshalolson; 10-15-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    they are not the same, but pretty same. if you can fit the 120, you can fit a 130 IMO. the 130 is a tiny bit snugger throughout, but the foot shape is pretty darn similar.
    Well, if I'm experimenting with sizing down the shell, then perhaps a little less snug would help (since my concern is that the 27 in a 130 is going to be too tight). Sounds like it's worth trying, if I can find one. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    they are not the same, but pretty same. if you can fit the 120, you can fit a 130 IMO. the 130 is a tiny bit snugger throughout, but the foot shape is pretty darn similar.
    I'd concur with that statement... a bit snugger/ lower volume from the 130, 2mm last makes a difference, but you should still be the same shell size.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Is the shell size the same between the 25 and 25.5 in the 120?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Is the shell size the same between the 25 and 25.5 in the 120?
    Same shell and liner.... Only difference is the thickness of the stock footbed.

wasatchback- seems you must be associated with Tecnica somehow. Do you know who around PC and SLC will be carrying the Cochise light, and when they will be available?

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    wasatchback- seems you must be associated with Tecnica somehow. Do you know who around PC and SLC will be carrying the Cochise light, and when they will be available?
    Most of the Lights landed in the US yesterday or Friday. They're shipping this week so should be in shops at the beginning of next week.

BC.com
    Cole Sport
    White Pine Touring

They are the only ones that ordered Lights in UT.

I'm going to try the 120's in the next few days. I'm currently in a 26.0 Atomic M-Tech 110 with a 10mm shell gap which gives me a superb precise fit but I've no experience of a walk mode boot so how much extra shell gap do I need to avoid toe bashing when walking but still give a performance fit?

Unfortunately these are rare boots in the UK & I don't trust the fitters were they're stocked but I've got 10, 12 & 15mm diameter dowels ready to do my own shell check.

Does anyone know the BSL's of the 25 & 26 mondo 120's?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I'm going to try the 120's in the next few days. I'm currently in a 26.0 Atomic M-Tech 110 with a 10mm shell gap which gives me a superb precise fit but I've no experience of a walk mode boot so how much extra shell gap do I need to avoid toe bashing when walking but still give a performance fit?

Unfortunately these are rare boots in the UK & I don't trust the fitters were they're stocked but I've got 10, 12 & 15mm diameter dowels ready to do my own shell check.

25 shell is 300mm
    26 shell is 310mm

Anyone know when BC.com is going to get some of this year's 120's in stock? They have the 110 and 130...

Marshal, that's super helpful. Thanks for taking the time to explain. I like the shell of the Technica better enough that I may well be willing to spend more time to get it right, and I love the idea of trying the 27.5 shell with the 28.5 liner (and/or my old powerwrap liner).
    Just thought I'd follow up on my previous thoughts/whining. After about 10 hours total spent trying on boots and really, really trying to make the Cochise 130 work for me, I finally bought the Lange XT130s. No question in my mind that the Technica has better features (walk mode, tech soles), and I'm concerned about the cuff slop in the Lange because of the less-than-stellar walk mode implementation. But after trying different combinations of shell sizes and liners (including stock, my old liners, and new Intuitions), the only way I could get the Technica to feel OK was with my old packed-out intuition liner in the 28.5 shell and the buckles all clamped down to the absolute maximum, and I'm not buying a boot where I'm starting out with everything already maxed out on it. At some point, Larry just looked at me and said "I know you like this boot, but I think it's trying to tell you something..."

Whereas the Lange just fit, no mods required (aside from a footbed). I'll update the Lange XT130 thread when I have a few days on them.

Thanks for the input, everyone (especially Marshal); learned a lot in this process.

After about 10 hours total spent trying on boots and really, really trying to make the Cochise 130 work for me, I finally bought the Lange XT130s. .
    nice man. the good news is that you KNOW you made the right choice, tried it every option and combination, and went with the best fit. nothing wrong with that. no need for buyers remorse now, you did the due-dillegence and made your call based on a complete set of info.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I would imagine a properly fit Lange XT with a little bit of play is still going to be a lot better than a Pro 130 that's too big for you, since you'd probably end up swimming around like crazy in them without any more buckles to tighten. Good example of why people shouldn't order boots online.

Curious to hear more Lange XT reviews in addition to the one on Blister, to see what other folk's reactions are like.

Marshal; I tried a pro light 27,5 today. Felt pretty good, but I could feel that the liner was a bit short. I'm a bit worried by this as one of the reasons I'm not completely happy with my BD Factors is because of some toe-crunch --> cold and not great for touring. Shell-fit was enough to move a finger slightly back and forth (10-15mm?), pretty much the same as on the factors.

On the other hand; the pro light was far better than the factors since I have a pretty high instep and only a 103 width. The factors may have a slightly better heel hold, but that's probably because they are molded.

I may try on a 27 I guess, but that would mean doing something about the liners.

Basically what I'm asking is; how much will molding the liners help? In your reveiw you mention that they are stiched, but if I understand you correctly there is still some room for stretching?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post

Hey Jon, where in the UK are stocking them? Anywhere close to Leamington Spa ('rents live there so will be over around Christmas-time).