Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    So....I have a short, wide hobbit foot with high arches and my foot also has a high instep. Kinda hairy on the top of my toes too.

I like to cram my size 7US foot into 24.5 shells and use a size 7 (mondo 25) Intuition liner.

Other boots I have are the Salomon Custom shells....where you can heat them and blow the shell out from 98mm to 103mm. I have the Salomon Ghost 120 and Salomon X3 130 in these models. Also have a Salomon SPK Pro (104mm wide). Each of these have a 285mm bsl and I use my 25 mondo Intuitions in all them.

I had some BD Methods 110 for a bit in a 24.5. Did not fit my foot so I quickly sold them.

Getting some Dynafits this summer. So I bought some 24.5 mondo, Cochise AT Pros from Backcountry for $599 all in. They came with the AT soles but I also picked up some din alpine sole blocks from Christys Sports....both delivered to Sumas, WA in 2 days.

I skiied the Cochises today with the alpine sole blocks and used my 25 mondo Intuitions and green Superfeet insoles, not the Palau liners that came with them (did not have time to mold them). They felt pretty good in the 1/2 day that I used them. Felt a lot roomier in the toe than a 100mm last should (though my Intuition are the low volume).

Man are they light!

EDIT - baked the Palau liners. Skiied them one day in Whistler slush. Best fit for my foot by far in the last few years. I am gonna keep the alpine soles on and sell all my other boots. This 100mm last is pretty roomy. Just no pain at all, feels great.

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 04-23-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Who has made the swap from Factors? I'm generally happy with the Factor 130 I'm in now but I do find them a bit short, a bit soft and the flex pattern feels a little weird to me.
    I'm about to pull the trigger on 130 Pros with Intuitions. Will I be disappointed?
    I'm in a 25.5 Factor now, will the 25.5 Pro be a comperable fit?
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

hey gwat, are you getting new boots or are they used? i'd like to get a pair in the same size , i think. i have quadrants in a 25.5. have you found any deals?

I made the switch from Factor to Pro 130. I basically bought a too-small factor, but hated the liner, and the flex. I love the flex on the Cochise. I started over with the Cochise and shell fit them, then got the toe blown out, now they're packed out in the forefoot. I'm going to try a luxury liner to fill it up. I'd say the Cochise is a bit bigger if comparing the same mondo size. They're bigger in height of the forefoot, and maybe a tiny bit in the length.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Thanks Plug. Grinch, found a five day old pair of Pros for a price I couldn't say no to. My Factors fit fine at the beginning of the day but by the end of the day wished I had a few extra millimeters of length so glad to hear the Pros fit a little longer (makes sense, the bsl is 3mm longer compared to Factors). Combined with the Intuition liner I'm thinking this should be a nice upgrade. Will update once I get them and make some turns.
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

k thanks. those "you can't say no to" deals have to be done or ya lose sleep. i've been looking around for a pair but it seems they're sold out most spots, in that size anyway. i think evo might have some but thought i'd ask

A bit off topic, but Ive seen some 26.5 bodacious from last season in passing. Marshal, do these have the exact same lower as the pro130s? Could do with a taller cuff, too, so if they have that, those could be my new, pure inbounds shells.

norsk

got my boots back from tecnica... apparently the wobble when locked into 'ski' mode is 'normal'. they replaced the inside black rivet and replaced the soles, which is awesome, and i'm stoked that they tried, but they still have play. sigh. i think that i've finally learned that one boot can't do it all. i've tried since 2005 and although new a/t boots are worlds better than back then, they are not a true alpine replacement. perhaps my expectations are too high, regardless i'm buying an alpine boot for inbounds. over it. blog/rant done.

Has anybody changed the forward lean on the shell itself? Long shot but it would be nice to get the forward lean I want that way instead of using even more spoiler. It would seem to me that more spoiler means less effective backward cuff movement in tour mode.

Since that's probably a fool's errand, any thoughts on the best way to add more spoiler? I've got a 1/8" thick hard plastic spoiler screwed onto the cuff which in addition to increasing the angle also brings the cuff higher for better tail gunning support. Then one of the boot spoilers that comes in the box on the velcro spot, and another stock spoiler duct taped to the liner just below the other one (closer to my heel). I still feel I don't have enough, and I say this after a few months of various configurations of the bits I've got. Should I just keep adding more spoiler till it feels good? Or will that lead to a strange feeling boot with stuff sliding all over?

I really love the insane versatility of these boots but I just can't get used to the lack of forward lean. Thought mileage would get me used to it but these just don't ski nearly as intuitively as my Falcons did.

What about adding a heel lift?
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

^^^

Good suggestion. The real battle with forward lean is matching your natural forward lean to the boot's forward lean. Do this and flex power transmission and balance will be optimized. Playing with internal boot ramp angle with the bootboard is gnerally the best way to do this. Generally spoilers and tongue padding is used to fill a wider cuff once the internal ramp angle is dialed to algin your natural forward lean with the boot's. At least thats what I've learned from my bootfitter.

There is no way to adjust the forward lean on these boots other than adding a spoiler. The shell can't be modified without compromising the walk function.

Find yourself a gigantic spoiler than comes on a Lange RS and use those instead of the stock Tecnica ones. They're super thick and much longer.

Do you have incredibly skinny calves? They're not that upright really compared to a lot of the modern boots. (2* more than a Lange RS/RX with the spoilers in) for example. If coming from Krypyons they will be a big adjustment.

I would say heel lifts might be your next move.

For a minute there, I thought I had a heel lift already but I must have been thinking of the cursed Quadrants.

I do have super skinny calves. For anyone using the stock liner, when my boot is all done up how I like the plastic bits (they say "tecnica" on them) on the main liner are touching each other at the tongue. And that's with the spoilers the way they are now. I chopped that plastic back a little bit and it feels a touch better.

So regarding heel lift, basically you guys are saying that the first (and most important) part is to get my foot on the right angle for me, then get my calf on the right angle after. I ski these boots in 916's and in Vertical FT's, with no riser plate on the FT. Wouldn't rocking no toe plate riser on the FT achieve a similar effect to running a heel riser when on the 916, in terms of skiing mechanics?

I've looked in the shell at the ski mode and that's the same conclusion I came to, but I always thought that maybe with the cuff off, a way to do it might become clear. Wasn't about to remove the rivets to find out though.

When in your natural stance (neutral - very slightly bent knees), you want your lower leg to be parallel to the forward lean of the boot. If it isn't, you modify the bootboard - either shaving it down or adding lifts (to either the heel or toe, depending) to get your leg in parallel alignment. Once you do that, then you fill out around the calf and lower leg (if necessary - usually it's not) to get the cuff comfortably tight.

It's rarely necessary to fill out the calf area on a boot, but the Cochise has a very large/wide cuff. It doesn't fit skinny calves very well. It's kind of a bummer (a bitch to fix for those that need it), but thats the way it is. I have pretty skinny calves, but was able to make it work without adding spoilers, tongue eliminators or thicker liners, so it's not terribly huge, but the cuff is on the bigger side, for sure.

Playing with heel and toe risers at the binding level only adjusts the ramp angle of the entire system - used to get the fore-aft weighting/balance that you prefer. It doesn't help with matching forward lean angles or clinching down on skinny calves.

Again, I'm no bootfitter, but this was how it was explained to me by one of the best bootfitters out there. There might be a bit of telephone game going on, but I'm pretty sure that was close enough to accurate.

Note that there's no real way to measure any of this stuff (that I know of), so you kind of just have to do it by feel and have good communication with your bootfitter.

It's summer and it's hot and Colorado is on fire (hope for the best for folks), but here is a ski boot question. People seem to have been running the Cochise with the tech heel in FKS. Has anyone been running them that way in Solly STH? Is it doable? If so, comfortable with the heel release or no? Think i might want more adjustment than I can get with FKS.

Yes. Been doin that for a while. Doing it next year with a CAST system. FKS, STH, PX all work well in my experience.

Just picked up a great deal on some Cochise 120 lite. Feels like a great touring boot that I would be happy to use for alpine or touring. Not skied them as it is mid summer - but guessing that I would be happy to pack these as my only boot for a ski trip which might involve lifts and / or touring.

Has anyone else used Cochise with Technica alpine boot liners? I have a spare pair from some downhill boots which fitted into the boot almost perfectly. Felt great when I try them on and doesn't restrict the tour action too much - though I guess they could be very sweaty? Guess I need to experiment when the snow arrives. FWIW the stock liner also feels OK to me (Despite a few negative reviews online). Palu of France also made the liners for my old Garmont Megarides, which were great and lasted a long time.

Colo- yeah, I use tour heels too in 916's, rossi, marker. I think it would somewhat negate the lateral heel float you get in pivots though, and if you're drinking the Kneebinding coolaid, I'm sure it makes them pretty much the same as a standard binding.

I wonder how many others would be interested in changing the cuff angle for more forward lean rather than a big wad of spoiler diminishing the tour mode movement. It would seem to me that if the slot on this piece were just a bit higher up, it would do the trick. I think the only way is to fab up a new metal piece and rivet it onto the boot, maybe if there's enough interest a small company like B&D would make them??

http://www.wildsnow.com/4483/tecnica...e-boot-review/

Thanks for the replies Lindahl and angrysasquatch. Good to hear based on your experiences. Still pondering...

Does anyone know if the Tech sole blocks from the original Cochise 120 will fit last years Cochise Pro?

I've heard tell that there were some defects in the first generation, and I've seen minor deformation of the metal around the toe inserts. Should I be worried about this or just keep riding?

Yes they will fit and keep riding. I have the originals and have skied them hard inbounds (hardpack hucking and mogul fields) with no problems, so I think the issue is overblown. I'm about 175lbs though.

Awesome, thanks! I'm even lighter than you, so I won't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Yes they will fit and keep riding. I have the originals and have skied them hard inbounds (hardpack hucking and mogul fields) with no problems, so I think the issue is overblown. I'm about 175lbs though.
    Hardpack hucking on Dynafits? The metal insert wouldn't possibly bend in a Duke or something, only a tech binder. First I've heard of this issue, glad I don't need to worry about it. Surely Tecnica would replace it (?)

Yeah, on Dynafits. I think the issue is less about warranty replacement and more about avoiding significant injury.

Has anybody coated the screws for the toes to protect against rust? I've changed back and forth a good 50 times already, and the rust I'm seeing leads me to believe that the threads on the inserts will eventually rust and pull out, and that will be the failure point on the boot. I'd rather not use grease, any other ideas?