Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    @cochise 130 / punch leghtwise
    well, ok, however they seemed knowledgeable
    it was strolz in lech/austria and jennewein/st.anton.
    maybe they didn´t want to work on boots that were bought elsewehre.

The water bath plus a boot press is what I was talking about. The hot water method does a great job of not getting the boot too hot which is what you have to be very careful with when working on Triax.

The home hot water method will work decently but not nearly as we'll as a boot press or hydraulic stretcher if you are in need of serious room especially lengthwise. In my experience you have to put some significant padding on the areas that need room when you're trying to heat mold them at home.

I have a pair of 2013 Cochise 130 in a size 27.0 that I'm looking to sell.

Just getting a feeler price $450 for a boot that has 5 days on it?

^^^ that's in the ballpark - maybe just a tad high... Good starting point.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Pretty much impossible. I take mine into the bathroom and put them under the hand dryer if they're even a bit cold. Then I sit there working the plastic a few times before standing up and using all my weight to get into them. A powerful heel kick follows and I'm good to go. Seriously an awesome boot once they're on. Maybe a bit too stiff for me, but I can't say I wasn't warned...
    Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Agreed! Scorpion 130 is by far the stiffest boot you can buy off the shelf. Stiffer than most 150 flex plug boots that I've flexed. I'm sure there are people here who have stories about trying to get those suckers off when they're cold.

OK, So finally skiied these 5 days in a row in Jackson. 27 shell, foot shoe size is 10.5 medium wide forefoot (D ish) with a narrow heel. 6'1, 208lbs. 4 days inbound at JH / Targee, one day hiking Cody.

Shell fit was pressing against met heads, so slight punch for width done on each foot, and a slight big toe width punch on the longer right foot also. Also a small 1/4 inch heel lift in each boot for my crappy dorsiflexion.
    1/2 inch shell fit on right foot, slightly less than 5/8ths inch shell fit on left foot.

Pros: I was coming from a punched and ground Krypton Pro so was wondering how the transition to the 2 piece shell with lower cuff height would do. Other than having to get used to putting on a new overlap in the cold parking lot (ugh) they flexed and skiied really really well.

No slop in back from the walk mode, laterally stiff, excellent snow feel and forward flex. I was concerned about the liner length since my toes were rammed forward, but that was primarily a function of the liner thickness around the heel not sitting fully back in the deep heel pocket. this packed within 2 days and the length increased if anything to slightly more than ideal on my left foot.

Very good heel hold and even pressure throughout shin, which is huge for me since I switched to the Krypton originally due to shin bang problems.

As far as hiking, the mild vibram and the walk mode made the Cody hike a piece of cake, particularly the first rock scramble part. Colder toes than I am used to with the intuitions in my Kryptons, but no rub or hot spots while hiking. Great sidecountry boot. Relatively light for a burly alpine boot with standard liner too.

Cons: Very high toe box and forefoot area. My Instaprint insoles have been ground pretty thin in front to get me in the krypton so this could be contributing, but I thought the front of the boot height wise was big for a 98mm last. After a day of skiing I could nearly ball my toes together on the left boot. Luckily i didn't have too much height in the instep and front of ankle area so control wasnt compromised, but I will need to watch this as the liner wears more.

Overall I really like these boots so far but....

Now for the biggest problem and any advice here would be appreciated. The back of my Achilles area right above where it met the calcaneus got absolutely destroyed, progressively worse each day. There is a pressure point there right where the heel cup starts to go back below the upper lower shell interface. There may have been some rub, but most of it was pressure and by the end of the week I got pretty nasty achilles bursitis there which even hurt for a few days in street shoes. I tried putting another 1/4" lift on top of the existing one, thinking possibly I was getting lift since my heel wasnt 100% grounded, that helped a little but generally just moved the pressure point lower down onto the top of the haglunds I have on the back of my heel. The pain started mildly the beginning of each day, but intensified as the day went on. It was primarily felt when flexing forward aggressively, as this made the heel shift a little deeper into the pocket and put more pressure on that spot.

I think the main cause of this is that I have a relatively straight achilles and heel, with not much bone protruding past the tendon insertion, and the heel cup on these boots is pretty deeply formed. Any thoughts on methods to fix this, possibly shimming behind the heel to straighten the heel pocket out?

TL,DR : Excellent 1 boot quiver for sidecountry and resort charging with good flex and performance, will use these for a long time if I can figure out the back of achilles pressure point issue.

Anyone else lose the interior ankle rivet/bolt? Mine has been repaired 3 times now, not with the stock parts but just stuff in the shop. It comes out everytime I tour now. Good thing the boot is still skiable without it.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

duffman: do you still feel that with a old, used, liner in the boot (from another boot) If it feels OK, then get your new liner stretched in that spot
    if it si the shell then get the shell ground out a bit on that spot.

El H: loctight?

I have the Cochise 120. I'm not a rockstar. I like this boot. Very tight forefoot for me, but with a little work I'm sure it will be fine. Nice progressive forward flex, with good lateral stiffness. Walk mode is nice. I also like the combo strap/buckle thing they have going on for the top buckle.

I'm #150 and 5,8 if that helps.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Couldn't even put the boots on for a week due to swelling and pain in the back of the Achilles. Even hurt with shoes no walking around. Obviously on day 2 when this pain started I should have done something about it instead of powering through. so after a week I put my old packed gold intuition ID liners that came with my Krypton Pros in the boot. these have pretty big L pads on the lateral ankle, so while they were really tight there, the Achilles area didn't seem to hurt much. I tried to put the stock liner back in, and the medial side of my left achilles hurt so bad just from standing in them, so obviously this is mostly a liner issue. Still not sure if the initial problem was compression or rubbing, or a little of both, since it didn't really flare up until a few days of skiing, but now with the sore tendon even static compression hurts.

I'm going to try and make it up to Vt to seem my fitter this weekend before I head out to Utah next weekend, but just in case I cant any advice on how to fix this liner thats compressing / rubbing that bad on the posterior Achilles right above the heel insertion?

Unfortunately I felt the side of my tendon where the pain was in the boot and there is a damn nodule on there now. WTF. I assumed this was just a bursitis but now I'm worried I jacked up my tendon also.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    duffman: do you still feel that with a old, used, liner in the boot (from another boot) If it feels OK, then get your new liner stretched in that spot
    if it si the shell then get the shell ground out a bit on that spot.

El H: loctight?

I am having a problem with the third buckle staying buckled when it is warm out. It just seems to deflect the cuff material and pop open. Only happens when it is in the 30's. has anyone else experienced this? It's getting real annoying. Only complaint about the boots.

After my little add-on to the boots, I´ve put about 10 days on them. Awesome performance, and now, awesome comfort as well. Thinking of putting the spoilers from my FullTilts in the back to gain even more support, anterior and lateral/medial (the latter, to some small degree, admittedly). Any advise against it?

Spoilers aren't permanent. Try it.

i have a massive spoiler in my cochises. no issues, assuming you actually need and want the what the spoiler does to cuff size and forward lean.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I just removed the little spoiler that comes stock with the cochise 120s. I feel a lot more balanced now, and i think the stance fits my skis better (DPS W99 hybrids). I did have to move the strap to the second set of holes, since removing the spoiler put the strap about as tight as it could go. (8.5 on the strap marks).

I go massive spoiler on liner and another screwed to the shell. Calves are non existent and need/like a little more forward lean.

ill try it. any issues drilling through the "spine"? dunno how far up any walk mode pieces and bits are.

norsk

About 90 days in my pro lights and the liner is pretty packed. Was never high volume to start but running out of buckle notches. I was fondling some intuition tour liners today and they look much better, much higher volume particularly around the calf. Anyone been running them and have any feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by JimLad View Post
    About 90 days in my pro lights and the liner is pretty packed. Was never high volume to start but running out of buckle notches. I was fondling some intuition tour liners today and they look much better, much higher volume particularly around the calf. Anyone been running them and have any feedback?
    Also looking to replace the stock liner om my pro lights. I feel like the Palau liner is to thin and the upper edge of the plastic puts pressurepoints on my shin and calf, realy all around my lower leg. Which liner would you recommend? Pro Tours seems the obvious choice but I also here good things about the dreamliner and luxury as well. About 1,5 cm shellfit.

jimlad- you can check my cochise light review on blister, but yeah, the pro tour is a great liner for your boot
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Online images seem to show the Cochise 110 with a shorter cuff height; is this actually the case?

I'm thinking the 110 would be a good option for the wife who is too strong a skier for the women's cochise boots wimpy flex, plus the women's cochise just look too damn frilly. Lower cuffs would fit her calves better.

Anyone know the actual forward lean angle on the Cochise (I've searched this thread & checked the Tecnica site but can't see an actual figure)?

Quote Originally Posted by critical-motion View Post
    Online images seem to show the Cochise 110 with a shorter cuff height; is this actually the case?

I'm thinking the 110 would be a good option for the wife who is too strong a skier for the women's cochise boots wimpy flex, plus the women's cochise just look too damn frilly. Lower cuffs would fit her calves better.
    Wait til next year...

Cochise 110 this year is PU. Next year it 's Triax. Triax is a lot lighter!

Next year there is a 98mm Cochise 105 for women. It's actually a fair amount stiffer than 105, they were just scared to call it anything stiffer. Thought retailers would be too scared to buy it. Dumb I know.

Cuff heights are not any different on the women's boots. They're not overly tall cuffs as is. Women's ones come without a spoiler as well. You could cut the cuff down a bit if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Anyone know the actual forward lean angle on the Cochise (I've searched this thread & checked the Tecnica site but can't see an actual figure)?
    Printed forward lean angles are a total crock of shit. There are a million different ways to measure forward lean. Cochise/Demon/Inferno have 2* more forward lean than a Lange RS/RX if that helps.

Cochise forward lean is also right between the two forward lean angles of a Dynafit Titan.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    ......Cochise forward lean is also right between the two forward lean angles of a Dynafit Titan.
    that'd be 18 degrees then?