Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    heat mold it, odds are you will be fine. Have you seen my redneck heat molding info?

I have a very snug performance fit as well and did not do a heat mold because I had a pretty good fit out of the box. The lateral heel / achilles area of the liner will break in quite a bit after a couple of days use, so I wouldn't be surprised if this goes away on its own, but I'm sure a heat mold wouldn't hurt and may save you some pain during those first several days.

Now if only they'd make this boot with a little more room in the toe box.

tahoeJ: can you just get the toe box made wider?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    heat mold it, odds are you will be fine. Have you seen my redneck heat molding info?
    Saw it before but forgot about it. Ill search for it now.

EDIT: no luck, got a link handy?
    Last edited by Duffman; 01-29-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: suck at searching

tahoeJ: can you just get the toe box made wider?
    Yes, of course. I actually need more room on top of my toes vs lateral. Just need to get it done.

waterbath the shell (near boiling water for 5+ minutes)
    heat up the liner with blow drier or CARFULLY in oven, or rice method.
    toe caps on toes
    3mm pads foot anywhere you want more room
    thick socks.
    bottle of scotch

remove the liners from the heat, and inset foot. make sure heel is back and down all the way
    remove shell from hot water, and stuff foot/liner into shell. make sure heel is back and down all the way. Pull up on liner, as you flex forward in shell.
    make sure heel is back and down all the way
    buckle middle buckle to make sure heel is back and down all the way
    tighten toe buckle tight, Now go 1-2 notches tighter on it.
    add scotch
    wait 10-15 mintues. 10 if you can cool the boots in snow, 15 if you are somewhere warm
    add more scotch as needed

remove boots, remove all the padding, toe caps and thick socks. wait until you can feel your feet again.
    put on THIN socks, remove boots stock footbed, and try the boots with the toe buckle OPEN (not loose, but off)

redneck, but it will work....

instructions blag blah....
    add more scotch as needed

redneck, but it will work....
    I have to agree with this, especially if you double up the toe cap like I did to really push out toes due to caveman foot.

In my case a nice bottle of bulleit rye did the trick.

Slight warning: flex to set the heal pocket as described, but don't flex back and forth until everything is cooled... I think this is what made a little bit of unwanted room above my instep in one boot...

Yeah, the redneck shell stretch is cool idea but I don't know if i need that much shell room yet, I would prefer to not screw with the shells yet, especially since I don't want to screw up the punches. Would using a hairdryer on the liner or the bag of rice inside the liner do much to make some room in the liner near the Achilles and heel since its not a true heat mold liner.

Any liner with foam is a heat mold able liner.

Cool, is a hairdryer enough to spot heat the heel area, or is there a better method

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Cool, is a hairdryer enough to spot heat the heel area, or is there a better method
    1. preheat oven to 225

2. stick liner in there for 5 mins.

3. pop into boot, clamp ultra tight.

4. enjoy beer.

go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

just because I'm to lazy to go through all the posts, is the Cochise Pro made in a size 24? They've only got a 25 as their smallest on their website.
    "Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -Warren Miller
    Ephesians 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Karl May View Post
    just because I'm to lazy to go through all the posts, is the Cochise Pro made in a size 24? They've only got a 25 as their smallest on their website.
    No, unfortunately

Pro Light comes in smaller sizes. But it's a 100 last.

Cochise 120 -- current year's model. I've always been a 26.5 but went with the 25.5 in the Cochise. 1.5 fingers in the shell. I found that the liner has a lot of padding and I wasn't able to get my heel all the way back. Result was a very tight fit in the toes and ball of the foot and unable to ski with the instep buckle closed. I could have gotten a better out of the box fit with the 26.5 but I would not have gotten the performance out of the 26.5. It loosened up a bit while skiing, but not enough. Had it tweaked once to get more room by my local boot fitter. Better. Spent a week of off piste skiing and touring in CH. Being in the boots all day, standing up most of the day (no chair lifts) really beat my feet up. Frozen toes and a black toe nail after 6 days. Went back for the full blowout treatment of shell and liner. Now much better all around, plenty of toe room, no cold toes, foot is in the right place in the shell. I like the way the boot toured. Didn't do anything very long but worked well for the hour long climbs that we did. Not a lot of rearward range of motion but certainly acceptable. I really like the forward flex. Nice progressive flex with smooth even pressure along the tongue in downhill mode. This is clearly one boot that covers +95% of the skiing and touring that most folk do. Not your boot if you are a long tour, uber lightweight fan. Not your boot if you are a hard snow, pisten carven guy/gal. Everything else is on the money.
    Old boots were Dynafit Titans. Very nice but still had the touring boot feel. Cochise feels and skis like an alpine boot. If I put the Tecnica moldable liner in the shell, it has more of a touring boot feel very much like the Titan. The stiffness and padding at the top of the alpine liner makes a big difference in the feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl May View Post
    It will for 13/14. There will be a chicks's 105 flex version using the same mold as well.

Pro light gets a beefed up liner. Basically a lot thicker above the flex zone.

110 now comes in Triax and is less expensive than this year. It will also be a little lighter than 120/130.

All Cochise boots will get a slight modification in the liner. Neoprene will go farther back in the 6th toe area so a little more relaxed fit there. If you use the stock liner it's a noticeable difference.

Great news on the updates to the Pro Light liner. Awesome fit everywhere other than the top cuff. Had to install a relatively thick tongue pad to snug up the cuff area of the liner - that has been my only complaint. Otherwise it hikes and skis terrific

Pro 130 Review

Me: 6ft, 180lb, skiing 192 DPS RPCs (ie big n stiff )

Usually fit a 29 or certain 28.5s, went with 28.5 with the Cochise for a 15 and 18mm shell fit on each foot and am happy with the fit as a hybrid AT/ inbounds boot.

Stoked on the boot, have both sole sets and swap them accordingly, they have a fairly upright stance with matching din blocks, too much for my traditional stance on hardpack but quite fun in the pow and trees. To adjust this and save time swapping soles, I have been running the AT heel blocks which gives at least 3mm of extra delta and feels great on the hardpack and groomers (though I admit the day I spent with a more neutral stance was eye openingly easy in the trees!) while on the subject of sole blocks swapping the heel means one has to unscrewing the rear tech fitting as the screw goes through both the block and boot heel, found this annoying and true swappability would be better achieved with a permanent fixture here independent of the boot.

The flex is stout for an AT boot but by no means a brick, I don't subscribe to flex ratings but I would guess at being closer to 120 with stock liners.

Speaking of liners, the stock line is great, stiff with great heel hold as has been mentioned, it does feel a touch short for the shell but that has broken out with time. I have also been skiing then with an intuition luxury 28 HV, which had been good, very snug. But the HV was necessary to take up space in the large area on too of the ankle and calf around my skinny pins. I would like to get power wraps in there but the stock liner I goo enough not to bother for now.

The walk mode is great as has been Sai before, especially with the Intuitions, although heel hold with both too buckles loosened is questionable with both liners.

Overall I'm very happy with the boot and besides a tlt5 for skimo I don't really need any other boots.

^^Our opinions differ on the stock liners, tutuko!

I did a liner slaughter and posted it in tech talk, but just wanted to link it here in the official Cochise thread so it´s easier to find. This problem of mine could´ve been solved if I got a size-up of the liners, but the boys at the store weren´t willing to strip another pair, and I sure as shit wasn´t willing to pay for it, so I used what I had.

Cochise liner tongue stiffening mod with powerwrapesque liners.
    Hope it can help anyone.

Wow, missed that thread, you sure gave that liner hell. The stock liner is far from perfect, but it mainly a length issue for me, enough room when pressuring the tongues but a touch short for the shell fit when touring or walking around. I get worse pressure on the top of my shin compared to even ankle-shin pressure with the Intuition actually, nee to test out an eliminator, but don't want to have to dick around with it while touring.

Cochise 130:
    So i have skied them for a week, and i like them a lot,
    Really responsive, Good Walk mode, light also.

They are still a bit too roomy in the instep and a tad too short for touring. But I have a real slim and flat foot.

Local bootfitter in stanton told me that they can not be stretched lenghtwise due to the special lighweight material that is being used.
    Dont know if thats correct though.

The velcro is Real nice also, but after skiing for a while it keeps sliding up a little, making the fit looser.

Quote Originally Posted by salx View Post
    Cochise 130:

They are still a bit too roomy in the instep and a tad too short for touring. But I have a real slim and flat foot.

Local bootfitter in stanton told me that they can not be stretched lenghtwise due to the special lighweight material that is being used.

The velcro is Real nice also, but after skiing for a while it keeps sliding up a little, making the fit looser.
    mntlion has punched the toe on mine to give me more length.

Cochise 130:

Definitely can be punched. Doesn't grind all that well. But you should probably find a new Bootfitter.

Cochise 130:

Punches like a dream if you know what you're doing. Low heat (hot water bath work's great) and a little less pressure and you can stretch the shit out of them. Best part is the plastic will stay and not shrink back as much as PU/PE.

You can grind it if you have a really sharp ball (most shops don't) and you go slow. I ground the crap out of my heel pocket and yeah it took a little longer but it's perfectly smooth and the grind is nice and deep.

Find a better boot fitter.

Tried the boot steaming and filled the shell with two loads of boiling water, didn't seem to get much movement unfortunately.