Shipping skis? FedEx? UPS? USPS?

I'm in Denver, CO and I am trying to ship a pair of skis up to BC, Canada. Anyone with some experience know what the best/cheapest way to ship is? Should I go FedEx or UPS or DHL or USPS?

What is the typical price for shipping skis (specifically denver to BC)??

In my experience having paintball gear shipped to me, UPS and Fedex can charge an arm and a leg in brokerage fees (ontop of GST) to the recipient. USPS might take a little longer clearing customs, but the recipient will only pay GST when it comes. One time, GST (7%) and brokerage fees ended up being 45 or 50% of the cost of the shipment with UPS. I'm not sure how that's anything other than highway robbery, but somehow they get away with it.

Now YMMV, paintball stuff is maybe considered dangerous, at least to some people, hence why they have to do more work on the brokerage, I'm not sure. USPS you can be sure will be no surprises when the package does get there.

Not sure on prices, skis are pretty much a one-way street for me.

Quote Originally Posted by coskiguy View Post
    I'm in Denver, CO and I am trying to ship a pair of skis up to BC, Canada. Anyone with some experience know what the best/cheapest way to ship is? Should I go FedEx or UPS or DHL or USPS?

What is the typical price for shipping skis (specifically denver to BC)??
    I know its not fed ex. I just mailed some skis, but my little brain can't remember which. I think usps. As far as a box, make ur own. Sounds like a pain, but it's pretty easy, save u $. Cut the side of a large box, make creases with something long and straight.(unbinded ski works perfect) Then just adjust with box cutter and packing tape. Make sure the box is not longer than the skis, or u will have play. Use pieces of folded box to wedge the skis so they can't move side to side. Peace.

There's one problem with USPS. If you go with the cheaper options, there is no way to track the package once it leaves American soil. An unscrupulous recipient could really screw you by claiming it never arrived.
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

Quote Originally Posted by adimmen View Post
    There's one problem with USPS. If you go with the cheaper options, there is no way to track the package once it leaves American soil. An unscrupulous recipient could really screw you by claiming it never arrived.
    Non-issue. I track packages from the States USPS quite a bit. Once it's in Canada the USPS site no longer updates. However if you go to the Canada Post website you can continue tracking the item up to and including delivery. Kind of makes sense tracking it in the Country and carrier that currently has the item.

awesome. so USPS sounds like the way to go. I'll make my own box. Any other advice??

Also agree with USPS.

You don't want to use UPS ground. It does not include brokerage fees.
    Fedex air includes brokerage fees. You may still get hit with duties and taxes.
    I'm not sure about UPS air, Fedex ground or USPS.

Someone once shipped me a pair of skis from Canada by canada mail. Everything went smooth. They didn't have bindings and were wrapped in bubble pack and tape. I can't remember if there was a box.

Do a search there have been a few threads with lots of info.

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    Non-issue. I track packages from the States USPS quite a bit. Once it's in Canada the USPS site no longer updates. However if you go to the Canada Post website you can continue tracking the item up to and including delivery. Kind of makes sense tracking it in the Country and carrier that currently has the item.
    Good to know.
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

Definitely make the smallest box you can to keep cost down. Wrap the skis completely in an extra layer of cardboard to prevent damaged edges. You can mark the package Fragile, it may help in the handling.
    With USPS, you can mark an international shipment as a Gift so the receiver pays less/none(?) customs fees. Definitely declare the proper value (in units of $100, round up) and buy the optional insurance, no matter who you use.

and instead of guessing who's probably cheapest (it varies) quote them all yourself online.

good bookmarks to keep:
    https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en
    https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_US
    http://postcalc.usps.gov/

I would recommending avoiding DHL. In my experience, and they have a reputation for, the worst in terms of package handling and customer service.

you can easily check the prices on their respective websites.I got a pair of skis from gear swap last year from canada for about the same distance travelled for about $45.but I think its cheaper from US to canada.
    picador

Don't use UPS. I have a bit of a rant thread out there regarding my dealings with those fuckers.

If you go with USPS things should work out I have had skis come up from the states with usps/canpost and been happy. I have also had fed ex bring me skis then send me a bill for brokerage and taxes.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Definitely go USPS Priority Mail International. I would pay for insurance as well and make sure you mark them gift if they are a gift because you could get hit with a steep tax otherwise.

Definitely go with USPS. It will save the received a bunch of money is custom/brokerage fees.

sounds like USPS is tha beez kneez. that'll be my go to

thanks all!

remember, if your box has ever been arrested they won't let it in the bastards!
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I don't know which is better but I shipped skis ups twice from Denver to NY and it came out to $45 or so both times.

Interesting note was that I had to use their box so they would insure it. I wrapped the skis in a ton of bubble wrap first though and they were fine. UPS can tend to destroy boxes but I guess it's luck of the draw.