EC Ski - PB&J / S3 / ? / ?

Ok, in the right forum this time.....my bad

Hey everyone, I've been searching the forums over the past few weeks here and other places on what would be a good ski for what I'm looking for. A few details about me:

6ft
    185lbs
    Level 7/8 skier
    Live in VT, ski mostly Sugarbush ($299 pass for being in your 20s), sometimes Jay, and am interested in getting into backcountry.

So the ski I'm looking for is mostly a one quiver ski. I just don't have the $$ to spend on multiple skis, nor do I ski 40+ times a year. I ski all of Sugarbush and love getting into the woods. I'm 28 now, and the Sugarbush deal ends once I'm 30, so that's part of my interest in getting into backcountry. I have no desire to pay ~$90/lift ticket, or over $1k for a season pass. Not with how unpredictable winters are here.

From everything I've read here, Blister Gear review, and other forums has led me to really like the Moment PB&Js and the Rossi S3s. I know a lot of people dig the Mantras, but I'm not sure if that is too much ski (though I feel I will adapt and will probably be fine with it). I am looking for something not as stiff as the Mantra or the Belafonte. I don't need a hard charging ski, but don't want something too soft either as I want to use it in the backcountry, hard pack (aka EC ice), and trees. I don't care much for the park.

I would get the PB&J or S3s, but there are none from last year (again, trying to save $$) in the 180-188 range. What other skis are less stiff than the Mantras and similar to the PB&J/S3s? I'm looking to stay in the 95-100 underfoot range. I plan on using the Fritchi' or Dukes with whatever ski I get (still deciding between the 2, but that's another discussion!).

Thanks,
    Matt

Support worth if you can find the cash. If not get some used mantras, IMHO best all around you'll find.

Barons or fritschi, buy some cheap used AT boots, luggin around alpine boots is no fun

Good luck, sugarbush MRG pass looks like a good deal

In that size range, I think that you'd like the Worth Daily Breads, especially with the carbon layup. Having skied the 185 power carbon DBs, they rock - they're super aggressive, carve nicely when you want them to, but are also a blast in the woods. The 16mm tip->tail taper makes 'em move around in between those trees that silly westerners would say are too tight to ski . Not only does the carbon layup (should you choose that one) make 'em nice and light, which is really nice when you get into touring (second on getting touring boots, it'll make all the difference in the world!), but it adds a nice amount of torsional rigidity to the ski, really allowing you to put it on edge when you want to. Most folks would be surprised how hard I can lay down on my Georges (our fat skis, 118 underfoot) when I want - it's in large part due to the carbon layup.

If you gots more questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Disclaimer, I'm a co-owner.
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

I don't know about the dailybreads (Adrian when can i get on that one?! IS THERE SNOW NOW?!?!?!?!!? ), but the Humpback from the Worth guys is awesome for what you're looking for IMO
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

Actually, yea, thinking about it a little bit more, the HB may be more in line with what you're looking for. Definitely fatter, at 112, but still very manageable.

And Greg, no, there isn't snow yet. But be sure that we'll get you a pair (or a few) to demo. And being a skier that happens to be famous on the 'tubes, we'll be sure you get a good chunk of time to play with 'em
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Bonafide.

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    skied the moment tahoe as my daily last year and it was plenty for most days on the EC.

Thanks, all, for the props!!

Obviously, I am biased....I found (and designed) our Humpback (140-109-122, 27m turn radius in a 185cm, early rise tip and tail) to be exactly that. Other than that, here is my short list for what you describe:
    Praxis Freeride, RX or BC
    PMGear Bro
    Blizzard Bonafide
    Line Influence (I would lean toward the 115)
    Volkl Gotama

Our demos will be available to check out in about two weeks at Outdoor Gear Exchange in Burlington, and Ski Haus in Middlebury, or you can connect with us on the hill.
    Last edited by weasel1; 08-31-2012 at 06:20 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot for leaving that out...
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

ON3P Jeronimo and it's bigger sibling the Jeffrey are very similar to the PBJ and S3. Like the PBJ they're a bit "new-schooly" in terms of the mount position and symmetric-ish dimensions but it has beef underfoot and doesn't fold up like a park ski.

186cm Jeronimo was my favorite ski last year.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Enforcers.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Haven't ridden mine but the belafontes would fit the bill

I recently bought the 187 Volkl Bridge and love it for a one ski quiver type of ski. I ski in NZ which I hear is pretty similar to the east snow wise.

Love it. Far more rounded than the mantra. Good on groomers, bit of pow, bumps ect. Not skiing that much this season due to work so back to one pair for now. Was exactly what I was looking for.
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

I looked at the PB&J, skied the S3 and went with the 192 Armada TST based on conversations on the hill.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by DHogg View Post
    I ski in NZ which I hear is pretty similar to the east snow wise.
    If that is true, you folks have the greatest marketing department in the world