Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

New Skevik Skis site is up

Check it out, new graphics are looking really good. www.skevikskis.com

Can't wait for my Oda's with the maple tree clear top sheet graphic.
    Last edited by el hefe; 08-28-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Skis look awesome! Love the new site.

The only thing I would add would be birds eye shots of the skis as well as rocker profiles. I am still amazed that so many ski companies advertise their skis without rocker profiles.

Looks good though.

EDIT: I didn't realize you could click on the banner gallery. Looks fantastic.

Sent via Nerdroid
    Last edited by DudeLebowSKI; 08-28-2012 at 10:18 PM.
    First 360 mute grab --> Andrew Sheppard --> Snowdrifters 1996

What's the flex like on those ODA's?

The Odas are the softest of the three but are fairly burly underfoot. Definitely not noodles, they are made for pow but handle big drops and pillows well. The thing I like about them best is the low swing weight in the tip and tail and the fact that they seem to just land shit for you whether you are too far forward or too much in the back seat.

Feel great in the air, almost like you have two skateboards on your feet instead of big pow skis due to the light tips and tails. They ski very fast in pow.

Great for terrain like this *Edit, turn down the volume and spare me some embarrassment*

I love that video every time I watch it! "Oh shit." (Doesn't slow down at all). Plus, you have one of the most-stokeworthy 'yawlps' I've ever heard.

Odas do look sick. Make them in a stiff flex and a 195+ length and I'd be interested.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

FYI: the first 20 pairs are at 20% off. I think the sticker price is only about $700 normally. $560 cdn is a pretty good deal!

http://www.skevikskis.com/pre-sale/

$700 should come with plastic sidewalls.
    560 not too bad.
    Wood sidewalls do not handle edge compressions well maple or otherwise, with the exception of very hard woods like ipe or masaruba and a few others.

They have held up over years of abuse sled skiing (the racks and woops on the sled are what kill them). There is the odd ding but they held up much better then my lib techs did. I will try and take some pics of my older pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by lobstahmeatwad View Post
    $700 should come with plastic sidewalls.
    560 not too bad.
    Wood sidewalls do not handle edge compressions well maple or otherwise, with the exception of very hard woods like ipe or masaruba and a few others.
    I've been on Renegade wood sidewalls for 2 seasons and I think they are pretty bomber.

site looks great and skis looking great
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowSKI View Post
    I've been on Renegade wood sidewalls for 2 seasons and I think they are pretty bomber.
    Agreed. Definitely leaps and bounds more durable than the DPS bamboo iteration.

I have extensive experience in this area, several years of testing lots of woods. All fail with the exception of the ones I listed, in comparison to uhmw sidewalls.
    This is relation to edge compressions from hitting rocks while skiing.
    Plastic, is better, no doubt.
    for $700 should be plastic, pretty simple.
    $560 sounds fair for wood sidewalls.

Quote Originally Posted by lobstahmeatwad View Post
    I have extensive experience in this area, several years of testing lots of woods. All fail with the exception of the ones I listed, in comparison to uhmw sidewalls.
    This is relation to edge compressions from hitting rocks while skiing.
    Plastic, is better, no doubt.
    for $700 should be plastic, pretty simple.
    $560 sounds fair for wood sidewalls.
    What do you consider fail? Like catastrophic failure or edge peeling away? I talked to you last year about ski design so I'm just curious.

My wood walls have held up to impact perfectly. I could see how bonding to the edge and degradation over time from exposure could be a problem. As far as a new maple sidewall resisting impact however, mine have been 'better than average' and I have extensive experience destroying skis. ;-)

Sent via Nerdroid
    Last edited by DudeLebowSKI; 08-29-2012 at 07:54 PM.

The site looks great, and navigation is easy and straightforward. The only thing I would add is ski weights in the Specs.

More importantly, the skis look dope. My only reservation is lengths. I hope you guys can incorporate some longer lengths in the future (i.e. 195ish).

Keep up the great work!

FYI - I don't make the skis, two of my buds do who are shredders. They have a strong local following with most of our crew on them, so far no complaints or broken skis.

I am hard on my gear and they have held up really well.

Site looks great and the graphics are fresh! Props on your efforts!

Just straight up impact resistance. Lam a core with wood sidewalls and lam a core with UHMW. Hit them with a hammer see which one deforms easier. Wood all day long will give way much easier than the uhmw. Regardless of your resin and or composite matrix.
    The wood also splinters and cracks after a significant edge compression not the same with uhmw.
    If you dont hit rocks and already have some edge compressions than no need to worry, no material will eliminate this entirely and too hard and the edge will crack, no bueno.
    Most of my edge compression's come from landing on small rocks buried beneath the snow.
    certain types of abs have a tendency to crack so thats why most everyone is using uhmw and some urethanes.
    The price difference from wood to abs to uhmw is 2 fold each jump.
    We have moved to uhmw for any skis that aren't complete prototypes.

the Andersson topsheet = TITTIES!

great graphics but every model is too short. Almost full R/R at 185 really?

They are working on some bigger sizes. I am 5'11 but a skinny bitch at 160lbs. Never felt the need for anything larger really. I would say that I ski pretty aggressively and they haven't let me down.

I am sure the bros have heard it before so they are on it.....

Edit: Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by el hefe; 08-30-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Ordered some Odas with the maple topsheet and now I'm going to be impatiently watching my inbox for months like a hawk for a shipping notification. Waiting game sucks, but these should be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    The Odas are for terrain like this *Edit, turn down the volume and spare me some embarrassment*
    This made my day.

^^ good call on the maple, I have seen it in the shop, looks sick!

I am thinking about the same graphic on my Oda's or maybe just clear wood. What bindings are you going with? Sort of a toss up between the guardian or switching my STH 16's from my antons on to the Oda's.

Don't want to buy new skins though....

I'm so unbelievably stoked on these skis, I can't wait. That topsheet looks amazing and you get the best of both worlds: the wood core and awesome graphics. Looking forward to some 'real life' pics of the skis because the pretty renders just aren't enough.

These are going to get some BindingFreedom inserts in them to run my Jesters that I rotate with all my other pairs.

I've got 112RPs for touring duty, so these are strictly inbounds pow sticks. Hope it's a good snow year again...

Bump...

They are having a draw for free skis on their facebook site
    http://www.facebook.com/SkevikSkis?ref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Bump...

They are having a draw for free skis on their facebook site
    http://www.facebook.com/SkevikSkis?ref=ts
    "Canada and US only" :-( Too bad but that's understandable. Anyway I am on the same boat as you Cstefanic, patiently waiting for my Odas.