Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Let's talk about a few 29er hardtails...

Almost feels sacrilegious to be bringing this up around here, but my friends on wagon wheels seem to be riding faster... And I'm a sucker for good marketing and hype. I am looking for a 29er hardtail to compliment my Mojo HD.

The short list of interesting frames include: Canfield yelli screamy and nimble 9, transition transam 29, kona honzo, and chromag surface.

Just wanted to start a thread to chat about noticeable differences. The Canfield bikes are probably at the top of my list at this point. Both have chain stays under 17, the nimble 9 can run SS fairly easy, and the screamy is slightly lighter but more rigid with the aluminum frame. The transition is a bit more expensive and does not seem to have any major leg ups on the screamy from a design standpoint. The Honzo is definitely appealing and also a bit cheaper than the Canfield options. I don't know much about the chromag.

Anyone have any real world experience with these bikes? My ideal usage for this thing would be mostly rolling, fast, super flowy, pump track like single track. Also some techy east coast rocks for good measure. I'm not sure if I'm all that into the idea of running SS, but I've considered it solely for the sake of having something very different from my Mojo. With that said, I'm leaning towards a 1x9 setup because I have the parts ready to go.

Alright, let's chat about some frames. What y'all think?

I have a Spot SS. It's currently geared with a 32x20 and I find that acceptable for pretty much everything around me. The frame handles really well going both up and down. Having a lot of fun with it.

he's just a better rider than you

Kinda in the market for one of these frames for next season. I like the Honzo simply because of the geo - raked out head tube and short chainstays. I also like the Transition TransAM 29er.

Ideally, I'd like a frame with a less than a 70 deg head tube angle, steel tubing and ISCG tabs. I'd set up with wide bars, 120 mm fork, 1 x10 and fat tires.

Its a little more XCish, but I also like the Santa Cruz Highball and you can get a complete one for $1500. Tempting.

Diamondback has a 29er HT coming out soon with really nice looking angles too. I think it's called the Dixon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Almost feels sacrilegious to be bringing this up around here, but my friends on wagon wheels seem to be riding faster... And I'm a sucker for good marketing and hype. I am looking for a 29er hardtail to compliment my Mojo HD.

The short list of interesting frames include: Canfield yelli screamy and nimble 9, transition transam 29, kona honzo, and chromag surface.

Just wanted to start a thread to chat about noticeable differences. The Canfield bikes are probably at the top of my list at this point. Both have chain stays under 17, the nimble 9 can run SS fairly easy, and the screamy is slightly lighter but more rigid with the aluminum frame. The transition is a bit more expensive and does not seem to have any major leg ups on the screamy from a design standpoint. The Honzo is definitely appealing and also a bit cheaper than the Canfield options. I don't know much about the chromag.

Anyone have any real world experience with these bikes? My ideal usage for this thing would be mostly rolling, fast, super flowy, pump track like single track. Also some techy east coast rocks for good measure. I'm not sure if I'm all that into the idea of running SS, but I've considered it solely for the sake of having something very different from my Mojo. With that said, I'm leaning towards a 1x9 setup because I have the parts ready to go.

Alright, let's chat about some frames. What y'all think?
    Lev...

You could go the custom route too. I LOVE the bike I built from a company called Yayco! I can put you in touch with the owner and I'm sure he'd build you something fully custom, reasonable weight and full steel for around the price of the non-custom offerings.

photo (56) by JJ_0909, on Flickr

(mine has shortest chainstays out there, long tt, 66.5 deg headtube @ 120mm, tapered head tube and a sub 12.5" bb. It is fun. And I race it XC...

Plus you get to pick the paint...

Let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Diamondback has a 29er HT coming out soon with really nice looking angles too. I think it's called the Dixon.
    I just saw a little info on this. Any word on price or if there will be a frame only option? 66.5 deg head tube angle is money.

Take a good look at the Salsa El Mariachi. Steel frame, 2x10, easily converted to SS using he Alternator dropouts, front sprung...what's not to love? Mine is AWESOME.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Take a good look at the Salsa El Mariachi. Steel frame, 2x10, easily converted to SS using he Alternator dropouts, front sprung...what's not to love? Mine is AWESOME.
    The Mariachi's geo is lot more XC oriented than the frames he is considering though...I demo'd a buddi'es a year or so ago and thought it was way too flexy (I guess that is just the steel ride though).
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Yeah you definitely can't go fast or do anything other than Little Old Lady from Pasadena unless your HA is 65 or slacker.

It's a rule or something.

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    I just saw a little info on this. Any word on price or if there will be a frame only option? 66.5 deg head tube angle is money.
    Sorry, I don't have any inside info on that, what's on the web is all I have. I was kind of interested after seeing pictures. I think there's some video that was posted recently on PB of Porter riding it around Park City.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    The Mariachi's geo is lot more XC oriented than the frames he is considering though...I demo'd a buddi'es a year or so ago and thought it was way too flexy (I guess that is just the steel ride though).
    +1 for the El Mar. Love that bike. Dropouts are the best design I have seen, the thing climbs like a beast and descends pretty damn well. The geo is in the gray area between XC oriented and the freeride-esk Canfield/Transition. Keep in mind you are buying a 29er hardtail, the geo should be leaning towards the XC zone.

In a perfect world I would have two bikes. El Mar and a Mojo HD. But I can only have one bike. I am actually selling 1/2 of my El Mar shortly (frame, fork, crankset, seatpost, seat, etc..) because I bought a Rip9 as my do it all one bike. As I second bike I think the El Mar is perfect, just not an every day ride for me...

PM me if you want a great deal on a large frame/fork and some componentry.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

@ the OP. It is not a steel frame, but the Banshee Paradox is a rippin' rig. Similar geo to the bikes on your list. I've ridden plenty of fast and buff as well as the standard shore/tech fare. Ran it 1*9 with a 120 Float, short stem and wide bars. Super fun bike.

The Mason will be about $2500 retail complete — with a dropper post. It will also be offered frame only, but I couldn't get pricing ATM.

what are your thoughts on the Giant talon 29er hardtail???

kinda eyeing that right now

man, that 2013 honzo looks pretty dialed.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    what are your thoughts on the Giant talon 29er hardtail???

kinda eyeing that right now
    I have a Talon 2 I use as my commute/friend loaner bike. My buddy crashed it the other day going 30+ down a local fire road. After we figured out my buddy didn't break anything, we went looking for the bike. The bike was dirty, but it survived the fall better than my buddy. If you don't mind alum, then you should check it out.

I absolutely love my Canfield N9! Haven't had time on any of the similar options you listed, as my previous two 29er HTs were a Retrotec and a Jabberwocky, so my endorsement of the Canfield for you is one of enthusiasm rather than enlightenment. But it sure is fun as a SS w/ a 120mm fork! The only argument against it might be if you wanted to run (or already had) a fork w/ a tapered steerer.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    I absolutely love my Canfield N9! Haven't had time on any of the similar options you listed, as my previous two 29er HTs were a Retrotec and a Jabberwocky, so my endorsement of the Canfield for you is one of enthusiasm rather than enlightenment. But it sure is fun as a SS w/ a 120mm fork! The only argument against it might be if you wanted to run (or already had) a fork w/ a tapered steerer.
    - Joe
    Not to highjack but how was the Jabberwocky? It is more XC geo, so just harder to get up to speed in tight spots?

The primary reason that prompted me to swap out the Jabber for the N9 was that, with our kitty litter-strewn loose trails, it took more effort than I liked to keep the rear tire planted on steeper climbs (talking riding SS here). The other reason was that I wanted to run a fork w/ more travel. Other than that, I loved the Jabber. It was a pleasure to ride, and if I lived some place w/ buffed out trails paved w/ hero dirt, I'd probably still be on it rather than have it collecting dust in my shop. But having made the switch and fully addressing those two motivators for making the swap, I now appreciate that the N9 offers much more. The front end lofts so easily, yet I never have trouble with it wandering on climbs. It handles just the way I want it to, and is, well... (for a 29er), nimble.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by reynolds.trailrun View Post
    Not to highjack but how was the Jabberwocky? It is more XC geo, so just harder to get up to speed in tight spots?

I've been on a Yelli Screamy for over a year now and still like it. The only reason I would sell it would be to move to a full suspension. I ride similar traisl to what you are talking about-rolling, up downs with smooth dirt.

I run a F29 120 fork and I think the HA is around 68. A little steeper than some of my other recent bikes but it's not that noticeable. For a 29er hardtail with some fairly cool geometry, $650 retail for the frame isn't bad...

The only hang-up would be there are no BB tabs for you would have to run a clamp style guide. I set mine up 2x9 with a 36 big ring and had to use more spacers than I wanted to clear the chain stay but not a deal breaker by any means.

I'm not going to lie, I've contemplated something similar to Lev although I'll sell the HD frame to fund the purchase and go back to my old Reign X for heavy trail duty. The back is finally strong enough after all the injuries to think I could ride a HT again.

Canfield's are top of my list for their geo and generally awesome group of people, although I do love me carbon and have to say the Air Niner is the most ascetically beautiful frame ever built. I don't need SS since that still strikes me as dumb (you have to ride faster on the ups and run out of gears sooner on the down...that just goes against everything I believe in).

For me, I will need to borrow a 29er HT and do a lap on my backyard trails before I'll commit. Is it really going to make the XC rides more fun, or will I save 5-10 minutes per hour of riding so I can do another quick loop? If not at least one of those, the answer will be no. My HD is actually setup 150mm rear and with a 150mm Lyric so it is a crazy stiff and low little trail bike right now. Part of it for me is that I have always fundamentally felt that a HT is not right because it will always steepen when you apply the brakes entering a corner. I might have to also try a 4" travel 29er and see if that suits me better, but then would I lose the gains.

I still love my Yelli - that bike is shitloads of fun. A good friend has an El Mariachi and thought it was awesome until he rode my Yelli, at which point he went out and bought a Yelli for himself.

The Honzos are cool, but they 1) are super heavy, and 2) don't take a front derailleur. If neither of those issues matter to you, they're a good option.

No experience with the chromags or the transitions.

Just curious...what are you guys looking for that TJ (YAYCO!) can't provide? He's raced for the US at worlds (DH), ex-factory Yeti rider, has his mech e degree from CU-Boulder and an all around good dude who can fabricate some amazing shit.

Just saying, you can have a fully custom steel hardtail in the 4-5lbs range with all your angles and all your specs for damn close to run-of-the-mill pricing. What more could you really want?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post

photo (56) by JJ_0909, on Flickr

(mine has shortest chainstays out there, long tt, 66.5 deg headtube @ 120mm, tapered head tube and a sub 12.5" bb. It is fun. And I race it XC...

Plus you get to pick the paint...

Let me know!
    still bummed they took down the chainrings off of the sign....
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident