Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    ^^^thanks guys, I will check those out.

I have a nice xl Carbon stumpy expert hardtail for sale. 2012, 15 rides on it. Carbon cranks, xo, Juicys, brain rockshox, Roval wheels. Cool prototype ground control tires, tubeless. 23 pounds. $2900 boxed plus shipping. $4500 retail. I have to take some pics, here is a stock one-

( I can tell one forum from another, gear swap coming up)

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...expertcarbon29

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    I'm sure it's a great bike, but I've never watched a bike video that left me more uninspired to ride bikes. Nice work Specialized I know that is some of the more rugged "XC race" terrain, but in slow motion it looks even dumber than it looks at full speed. Is that really mountain biking to many people? This coming from a guy who has been having a lot of fun riding a light carbon 29er HT lately...just praying my wheels don't become pretzels soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Telemahn View Post
    Check out the Carver 4:20 (Bikeman.com house brand)
    This deserves to be re-stated.

16.7" chainstays, and 12.9" BB + 69 degree HTA with a 120 mm fork. Yes, please.

http://www.carverbikes.com/frames/ti-420
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    This deserves to be re-stated.

16.7" chainstays, and 12.9" BB + 69 degree HTA with a 120 mm fork. Yes, please.

http://www.carverbikes.com/frames/ti-420
    Tapered HT too......

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    The Mason will be about $2500 retail complete — with a dropper post. It will also be offered frame only, but I couldn't get pricing ATM.
    Yeah, the Diamondback Mason looks pretty interesting. I'd love to hear from someone who has some wheeltime with it.

That looks pretty sick, but my impression is that aluminum would be quite jarring on washboards and stuff, no? Can they make aluminum flex?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

That looks pretty sick, but my impression is that aluminum would be quite jarring on washboards and stuff, no? Can they make aluminum flex?
    aluminum for MTB use is fine. the real knock on aluminum is for a lack of vibration dampening. This is really important in Road biking where you are in the saddle a lot more, and the vibration of imperfect asphalt gets transmitted up the frame, causing body fatigue (especially at the joints). This becomes a mostly nonexistant point with the larger rubber and lower pressures that mtb tires are run at, coupled with the fact that we stand a lot more. That said, Steel and carbon don't have the same amount of ring due to chain slap. I think that is a reasonable trade off.

I suspect that bike will beat the piss out of you. Aluminum can be made compliant, but that bike does not look to be a good example of that. And the stays are too long and the BB is too high. I'd put $1 on it being pretty heavy too. A step in the right direction, but there are better options out there.

I had a Nimble9 and now a YelliScreamy and yes, the aluminum is a fair bit on the harsh side compared to the steel. I notice it on the DH a little, but a fair bit more after the 3 hour mark in the saddle.

Ever since I had a Trans TransAM, I really couldn't go back to an aluminum hard tail. What is else out there for slacked out steel 29er hardtails? There's the Transition TransAM and the Kona Honzo. What else?

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    Ever since I had a Trans TransAM, I really couldn't go back to an aluminum hard tail. What is else out there for slacked out steel 29er hardtails? There's the Transition TransAM and the Kona Honzo. What else?
    Canfield Nimble 9

The Nimble9!! Canfield customer service is top notch...as in it is as good as their geometry. They nailed it b/c they ride it!!

Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    The Nimble9!! Canfield customer service is top notch...as in it is as good as their geometry. They nailed it b/c they ride it!!
    Ah that thing is sick! But it needs chain guide tabs.

Well, that is better than it needing 1/4 or 1/2 or 1" shorter stays eh!!?

direct mount ft. der.

Haven't spent a ton of time on 29ers but I'm thinking about picking up a DB Mason. Pretty good deal for the parts spec that come with it. Do you guys size these wagon wheels differently? It's looking like the medium Mason would be just about equal to my large Blur LT which I'm very comfortable on.

My buddy rides a Medium Mason now. He's 5'10" 31 inseam, longer torso (we talked about it while building today). It's a fun bike.

That said he is looking to move it along as he already has a sweet 29 HT. It's not a stock build but if you are interested shoot me a PM.

Just finished building a TransAM 29er a couple days ago. First ride will be tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2763.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	131268

/\ /\ /\ Nice looking ride. Totally jealous.

Anyone got an opinion on the On-One Inbred? They're a little heavy, but stupid cheap at PlanetX right now. Tempted.

I know it's not a fancy independent frame, and it didn't cost $3,000, but I'm a big fan of my new GT Zaskar. I swapped out the wheelset with my older HiFi Pro (Crossmax29 UST), put a couple other parts on, and it's a really fun bike to ride. It's a rocket compared to the HiFi Pro full-suspension, and it's perfect for the dirt roads and trails around my house. I'm guessing it weighs around 24 lbs or so.

I can dig that. You buy it off the rack, or pick it up with some tarnish?

Bought it new, but let's just say I didn't pay anywhere near full price.

Bumpity bump.

It's been a while since I started this thread. Still have not acquired a hardtail. Riding season is in full swing in my parts and there is a looming tax return on the horizon. I'm back to thinking about a 29er HT purchase.

The Yelli is still on my radar big time. There is a new Nimble 9 release coming out this year. To be honest, I still don't understand why Canfield has two frames that are so similar, but maybe someone else can chime in on that. I know they're different frame materials, but for the most part they are slackened 29er HTs with short chain stays. Anyone with experience on both might be able to distinguish a little better?

Trek is putting out the Stache this year, which looks fairly cool. Promo video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=a-MVWbibqTs

Kona and Chrome have some solid offerings in this category for sure.

I need something that I can rail smooth single track on and possibly enter a couple races with this year. I'm planning to do some Super D races in the NE on my Mojo, but those races are few and far between. I live fairly close to White Clay and Fairhill, which are places that certainly favor the spandex variety riders out there. My Mojo feels like total overkill - need a bigger quiver.

Decisions decisions...

I just built a Ti hardtail. It is pretty amazing, coming from a steel frame to Ti, I am pretty blown away. It is much lighter and way more damp than my steel frame.

This isnt the frame I have, but a lot of people are going nuts over this frame: http://www.carverbikes.com/frames/ti-420