Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Good to know.
    Tele, I'm sticking with the nobby nics thru the end of the season, then probably get another set if they can be found cheap, or maybe something similar. Also, my rear hub appears to have a wobble I can't get rid of which is probably why even with a new rotor, I can't stop the squeaking/rubbing. God dammit, it's always something.

And cyclocross bike for around here? Sure, it's doable, but it wouldn't be fun. Wouldn't do any Blue mototrails with one. Then again, I suck.

Sent from my cell phone. no, a cell phone.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by orlowskij View Post
    This thread gave me some inspiration. I wanted a Nimble 9 but Canfield is out of mediums, so I went with the Yelli Screamy. First impression around town is very good, I'll get it in the woods tomorrow.

Nice, very close to pulling the trigger on one of these frames. How tall are you that you went with a med? I would have a lot more seatpost showing with my 32" inseam. I'm thinking of upsizing to a large and running a 50-70mm stem. I like how a longer bike has a little extra stability on the downhills, since you don't have rear suspension to help out.

I will say, I got on a SC Highball Carbon down at I-bike and there is no doubt that companies with good engineering can build carbon bikes that are stiff side to side and give a level of forgiveness vertically to reduce harsh chatter. That bike was a rocket ship, but the poor XC wheels didn't like the punishment I gave them If money was no issue, I would buy a Highball C, hands down. 2 lbs lighter and the better rear compliance is amazing and worth the geo compromise for my uses. Another bike in this category to look at is the Mason from Diamondbackhttp://www.diamondback.com/mason-mountain-29er...awesome looking geo numbers. Hopefully by the time the YS I'm hoping to own is clapped out, these geo bikes will be available in Carbon too.

Good to know.
    Tele, I'm sticking with the nobby nics thru the end of the season, then probably get another set if they can be found cheap, or maybe something similar. Also, my rear hub appears to have a wobble I can't get rid of which is probably why even with a new rotor, I can't stop the squeaking/rubbing. God dammit, it's always something.

And cyclocross bike for around here? Sure, it's doable, but it wouldn't be fun. Wouldn't do any Blue mototrails with one. Then again, I suck.

Sent from my cell phone. no, a cell phone.
    Yeah, I forgot about OrchardRidge at Blue but otherwise I stand by my X-bike point. All this shit is very personal pref. Good luck with your Nics.

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    Nice, very close to pulling the trigger on one of these frames. How tall are you that you went with a med? I would have a lot more seatpost showing with my 32" inseam. I'm thinking of upsizing to a large and running a 50-70mm stem. I like how a longer bike has a little extra stability on the downhills, since you don't have rear suspension to help out.
    I have a 32" inseam and still have a lot of exposed seat post on my large YS. Having a long top tube so you can run a short stem is the way the bike was meant to run. I'm 6'2" or so and running 80mm. Still feel like I could go a bit shorter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0241.jpeg 
Views:	2529 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	121158
    Last edited by MrDirt; 09-24-2012 at 12:25 PM.

I will say, I got on a SC Highball Carbon down at I-bike and there is no doubt that companies with good engineering can build carbon bikes that are stiff side to side and give a level of forgiveness vertically to reduce harsh chatter. That bike was a rocket ship, but the poor XC wheels didn't like the punishment I gave them If money was no issue, I would buy a Highball C, hands down. 2 lbs lighter and the better rear compliance is amazing and worth the geo compromise for my uses. Another bike in this category to look at is the Mason from Diamondbackhttp://www.diamondback.com/mason-mountain-29er...awesome looking geo numbers. Hopefully by the time the YS I'm hoping to own is clapped out, these geo bikes will be available in Carbon too.
    I'm 5'8" w/ a 31" inseam. That's a 350mm post at almost full extension, I need to get a 400mm or longer. I'm running a 60mm stem with .5" rise 720mm bar and the cockpit isn't bad, I think it will be perfect once I get a longer post.

Fwiw, I'm riding this thing in TX so I may go towards a more pedally position than some folks here.
    Last edited by orlowskij; 09-24-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers
    That's how the plague started back in the day...from a little disgusting bird bath in someones back yard that rats made sex to birds in and created a whole new type of AIDS

I'm 5'8" with an inseam somewhere around 32" and I ride with a 410mm post about 10mm shy of fully extended in my medium Yelli (which also sports a 70mm x 5 degree stem and a 762mm wide flat bar, for those that are interested).

A side note: I heard an unverified account of how the Yelli Screamy was named. Apparently the Canfield guys were at the factory in Asia (taiwan?) where the as-yet-unnamed frame was going to be manufactured. A guy from some other company (Niner?) was there at the same time and was yelling and screaming at the factory workers for some unknown reason. Apparently his tirade left an impression, hence the name of the frame.

I'm a lanky 6' and any time I've sat on a 29er I've felt like the Large was too big and the Medium just right. My bike now is a 19" Kona with about a 24.5" (?) TT.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

^^^Oh shit I want a Honzo. I told myself I would't buy a 29er hardtail until next season. Ahhhh that looks like such a fun bike!

Chromag is releasing an oversees 29er frame called the Rootdown this winter. $750ish for what essentially is a Surface without the canadian made factor. Ive decided on it over the Canfield N9.

I am ready to get on the 29er hardtail craze. Looking to buy something (complete bike offered) with specs similar to:
    Top tube ~23.5"
    head angle <68.5 degrees
    120mm fork travel
    Ablility to run double ring up front
    9 or 10 speed rear cassette / shifters

If anyone has something around these specs to u load please message me.

I think I should not have ridden a light weight carbon 29er cause now I'm leaning way more toward that direction than my original Yelli Screamy plan. I was blown away by the feel of carbon and light weight. Damn it!!

^^^ What did you ride? I've been thinking something like a Yelli Screamy (short chainstays, slackish front end) but in carbon would be sweet.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

I think I should not have ridden a light weight carbon 29er cause now I'm leaning way more toward that direction than my original Yelli Screamy plan. I was blown away by the feel of carbon and light weight. Damn it!!
    For those interested in carbon, I just picked up a 456c frame for super cheap that I'm going to 650b. Most 29ers don't feel right to me so I took a chance on this thing.

Should be good slack geo and I can still run a big fork if I want, although with bigger wheels I prob don't need it. My only concern with a 650b conversion might be the increased bb height. Will report back when it's built up...

Quote Originally Posted by donkeykong View Post
    ...might be the increased bb height....
    you will get 20mm

That Highball C has never left my mind. I want a Carbon YS, but that probably won't exist for several years at this rate, so I'll buy something cheap to tide me over

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    I've been thinking something like a Yelli Screamy (short chainstays, slackish front end) but in carbon would be sweet.
    I too have been thinking along those lines, although I was thinking more of something like a custom Ti frame with geo that roughly matched the YS. Not that I'm actually going to shell out for that...

I seem to have replaced one carbon dork with an even bigger one...

Name:	IMG_2061 (1024x792).jpg 
Views:	11621 
Size:	574.7 KB 
ID:	123243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2062 (789x1024).jpg 
Views:	9722 
Size:	563.5 KB 
ID:	123244
    ...but it sure is lighter Planet X - Dirty Harry (I swear SRAM's tech docs say I can make this fork 120mm, but it only had (1) 10mm spacer inside, so it's now 110mm...weird) Stoked to get out for some miles in the morning.

For those that asked me what I was replacing the HD with, I resurrected this and it still kicks ass, even in 2x10...

Name:	421280_4258617596318_274796675_n.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	123245
    If I could have only one bike, this would be it (or maybe the current version with the latest links)

I've got a buddy with a Misfit Dissent he's looking to sell. He's got the drop outs for running it geared which is the only reason I'm considering (that and a right-place-right-time deal).
    Anyone have insight/opinion on this?
    I'll be using it 65% gravel road (state park wet weather riding) and 35% winding, rooty SE jungle singletrack.

Lev clean out your PM box..

I'll be selling my 2011 El Mariachi frame next month or early 2013. If anyone is interested, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by donkeykong View Post
    Lev clean out your PM box..
    Done! Just noticed it was over full

Good to hear about the Highball C, I'm building one SS now. Slowly parts are trickling in.

I want a Yelli Screamy like geometry but titanium, any know of bike that fits that or comes close?

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    I want a Yelli Screamy like geometry but titanium, any know of bike that fits that or comes close?
    Haven't seen one I liked yet except on the Vulture website. He is keen on this geo and Ti fab, I chatted with him a bit about it over email. Shoot Wade an email and giv'r!!
    Last edited by tellybele; 11-16-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Check out the Carver 4:20 (Bikeman.com house brand)