Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    do you take the cut-off with the double at the bottom that goes right to the parking lot? no need to ride the tight switch back stuff.
    Hah, no, I had no idea there was a double down here. I had always figured they had reclaimed/reveged the old jeep tracks below the trail sign. I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post

The review of last night's meeting has been given. It was very positive. From the mouth of Draper City officials... "we've learned a lot over the past few years... what works and what doesn't" Eyes have been opened.

Running machines and paying a building team will use up funds. Volunteer work and donations will go far.

The meeting finished with nothing but input from riders on what features are desired and where. Several giant area photo/maps were on hand to be drawn on. If riders don't get the trail they want this go around... we have no one to blame but ourselves. Involved riders will have influence on this trail. Features with the most support and volunteer force will get the most attention and will be higher priority.

Alpine Trails has insurance and operators to cover equipment; but, will have to rent some machines. If anyone has a connection to a tracked skid steer and a 30+ HP mini X with 24" bucket, the city money will go further and we'll get more features built.

As for emails, they should go to Ben from Alpine trails. I have his email. It was given out last night. Not sure if I should just post it or PM it to whoever wants it. Emails to Ben should be about features you want along with how many hours you can donate to build this year. Donations for food, raffle items etc all help in some way to stretch the dollar and get people out.

If he gave it out at the meeting I say post it here. Just be sure to do it in some form so that the spammer bots won't grab it.

Thanks PFH and P4B for the info, and to all for attending for those of us who couldn't make it. Bummed I was traveling for work.

Did they mention how much they thought they'd get done with the $40k? It would be interesting to see how much was spent on Arcylon in comparison since it was built with much the same method (I think it's around that amount). Is WAFTA kicking in any funds for this? At one time there was some "earmarked" for Draper, not sure if that ever was given to them.

On a personal note: It's about damn time! I don't know how many times I've asked for machine assistance on that trail, now we're finally getting it. Don't get me wrong, I really think Draper has been one of the leaders as far as their whole trail network development and conflict avoidance measures go, but as one of the guys who has lobbied for and built on this trail, machine love will be most welcome!

Can't answer your specific questions Prof about the exact $ for what we get, but here is what I have to add...

The design is not done at all. It will be done over the next month it sounds like. The money sounds like plenty to machine build the trail with some major reroutes to improve flow. I think it will honestly feel like a completely new trail when it's done. It also sounds like enough money to build many large jumps and features. I got the feeling that is about where the money gets us...then we'll need to fill in with volunteer labor, $, equipment to do the smaller details and add the extra features to fully fill in the trail to the level of trails in places like Teton Pass.

His email is on their website so I think it's fine...
    Ben@Alpine-Trails.com

As was said, what they want is to know how many hours/days you can donate, and if you have specific feature requests so he can create a build plan that is viable. If the donated labor is sufficient more features will be built. Also if you have access to the equipment at reduced rates or donated materials that would be good to add in the email. Get together with your friends and create less, but bigger emails if possible just so he can digest the information better/faster.

Volunteer days will mostly be Saturdays due to the fact that their full crew will be working the trail with the heavy equipment M-F 9-5 and as fall approaches and the work ramps up, the daylight will end earlier. People can help on the weekdays, but they will need to contact him ahead of time, so his crew is aware of your presence when running machinery.

email sent, down to dig!
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

TGR DH dig day cook out some time?
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    Also if you have access to the equipment at reduced rates or donated materials that would be good to add in the email.
    One thing to consider that we did in the past on that trail and with WAFTA: If WAFTA reps go to Lowe's or Home Depot and explain that WAFTA is a Utah non-profit, working with cities to buikd trails, etc., Lowe's and Home Depot may donate materials. In the past, Lowe's on Bangerter donated a bunch of pressure treated warped wood and screws that were used on the trail. If there will be wood features, this could be a possibility to get free wood that will work for our applications.

Awesome dudes. So stoked to see this happening and all the interest and support from the DH community. I always hoped this day would come with the City of Draper in regard to that trail and am so amped that it is here.
    Join WAFTA, promoting downhill and freeride trails in the Wasatch. www.waftautah.com

Awesome to hear!
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

I'll most likely be there

Maple Hollow DH Trail

As part of the reconstruction process, Alpine Trails/Draper City is hosting a trail walkthrough this Saturday giving riders an opportunity to provide input into the new design.
    This is the one and only non-rogue fully shuttle-able downhill specific trail in the Wasatch. Let's make it rad!

Saturday (Sept 15th) 10am at the trail bottom. See details below.
    1000 East Traverse Ridge Road

Planning to ride into the meeting from the top to refresh my memory of the trail and get some ideas...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	564176_476808075677265_1311410286_n.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	120626

I'd be down to meet up early for a lap or 2.

Bummed I won't be able to make it, but we will be off to Winter Park this weekend getting ideas of shit to build. Really stoked to see this moving forward though.
    Keep it unclipped

yeah man, my point is that just like rush, its not a DH bike trail. its a directional xc trail, which is great if its part of a nice loop, but maple hollow isn't, really.

unlike rush, which links some of the best trail in draper, and helps alleviate interaction on the down (why not make ghost falls the directional trail? please?), maple hollow is not really a part of a ride per-se. i would prefer to ride jacob's ladder with a ghost falls bonus lap way more than pedal out anne's (<- ?).

i mean its all good, nothing is lame here... just saying that maple hollow is sorta out there and begging to be shuttled with DH bikes...

my .02 only.
    Ghost falls is a fucking awesome climb. Sack up francine.

My standard ride is bst from 116th south up ghost falls, across the road with a little detour down the first little bit of coyote hollow and up the other fork of coyote hollow or whatever its called, up to jacobs ladder, down jacobs ladder, back across the road with the little top part of coyote hollow detour, down the top 2/3 of rush, across and down the bottom 2/3 of ghost falls, and back the bst. Mid summer if I have time sometimes I go down the the alpine sliding rock from jacobs ladder and back up.

I actually enjoy climbing and descending though.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Ghost falls is a fucking awesome climb. Sack up francine.

My standard ride is bst from 116th south up ghost falls, across the road with a little detour down the first little bit of coyote hollow and up the other fork of coyote hollow or whatever its called, up to jacobs ladder, down jacobs ladder, back across the road with the little top part of coyote hollow detour, down the top 2/3 of rush, across and down the bottom 2/3 of ghost falls, and back the bst. Mid summer if I have time sometimes I go down the the alpine sliding rock from jacobs ladder and back up.

I actually enjoy climbing and descending though.
    IMO clarks is a way better climb than ghost, but whatever. my point is that ghost falls is probably the best descent in the whole draper network.

i dig laps such as what you say though, lots of sandy BST action to draper action for me too.
    Last edited by marshalolson; 09-13-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

IMO clarks is a way better climb than ghost, but whatever. my point is that ghost falls is probably the best descent in the whole draper network.

i dig laps such as what you say though, lots of sandy BST action to draper action for me too.
    I think jacobs ladder is the best descent in draper, perhaps in northern utah. Ghost falls is perhaps the best most fun climb for its length anywhere in the wasatch that I've found, but I'm a sucker for trails that are just one hill after another you have to sprint to make it up.

Also the top part of ghost falls is a pretty lame descent actually, and the bottom part of rush as well isn't all the special. Rush to ghost falls as a decent is far better.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post

Sweet bro, I'm super duper stoked you liked it!!!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think jacobs ladder is the best descent in draper, perhaps in northern utah. .................................................. ....................................
    You really need to get out more.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

What the hell happened here you idiots...this thread is about getting together to fucking rally and help build an awesome downhill trail for bigger bikes, or those who don't need big bikes to go big. The city is putting up a good chunk of change and has a quality organization in place to do the heavy lifting. This is awesome, and just the start, assuming we don't blow it.

If this isn't what you want, fine, go ride the other stuff, which the city is still constantly updating and adding onto. Personally, I like almost every trail in corner canyon, both up and down where permitted, but that's cause I like to mix things up and I ride here a lot. If you don't like what someone else likes to ride, good for you, now lets all grow up and recognize that as a united group we are a lot stronger than when we are divided into a bunch of little bitches trying to make other people's idea of fun sound stupid.

I'm looking forward to walking the area with the guys from Alpine Trails, and seeing if we can truly create a design plan that's as cool as Ben thinks is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Suggestions?

Rush trail is as good as it gets. I'd stick with that.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I was thinking the same...

Speaking of getting out more to find out what really great descents exist... A trail in the actual running for greatest Northern Utah descent has been decimated over the past few weeks. Very sad and a very strong argument for getting behind the re-build of Maple Hollow.

Right now I'm trying to change some things so I can be there tomorrow. Hopefully I can. For those who may ride first... post a meeting time.

meet at 9 at the bottom?

Digging this Saturday morning (Sept. 29). Meet at the bottom at 10:00 AM. Sounds like they have already finished the first 30' table. Can't wait to shred this thing soon.

http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/maple-ho...-a-813098.html
    Keep it unclipped