Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Attn: Utard DHers

Draper isseeking input to rebuild the Maple Hollow DH trail. There is a meeting on Monday night at 630 pm at the Draper City Hall to discuss ideas with the City and to provide input as to what the trail should become. I no longer live in Draper currently, but have played plenty of clips of Crank It Up to members of the trail committee there to prime the pump. This could be a great opportunity to get another machine built (hopefully) DH trail in the Wasatch. Input from the riders will prevent it from becoming too watered down.

Attend if possible:

http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/maple-ho...ay-808103.html
    Join WAFTA, promoting downhill and freeride trails in the Wasatch. www.waftautah.com

crank it up? my GF will be psyched.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    crank it up? my GF will be psyched.
    Please go to the meeting and provide input. The City is well aware of trails like Crank it Up and is also well aware that it takes machines to build trails like that (realistically). It could happen, and the more people who show up and push for something like that, the more likely it will be to happen.
    Join WAFTA, promoting downhill and freeride trails in the Wasatch. www.waftautah.com

I'm in whistler till September. Riding crank it up.

Any trail is better than maple hollow as it sits!!
    Last edited by marshalolson; 08-19-2012 at 06:55 PM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Man, I haven't ridden that trail in 2 seasons. Used to be pretty fun, has it gotten that bad?
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

I actually kind of like it. It's fun to ride on the XC bike. I'll take it over Rush any day.

Someone has been working on it. There are some new jumps. They removed some of the stupid tight corners at the top and added a couple of stupid tight corners at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    It's fun to ride on the XC bike.
    yeah man, my point is that just like rush, its not a DH bike trail. its a directional xc trail, which is great if its part of a nice loop, but maple hollow isn't, really.

unlike rush, which links some of the best trail in draper, and helps alleviate interaction on the down (why not make ghost falls the directional trail? please?), maple hollow is not really a part of a ride per-se. i would prefer to ride jacob's ladder with a ghost falls bonus lap way more than pedal out anne's (<- ?).

i mean its all good, nothing is lame here... just saying that maple hollow is sorta out there and begging to be shuttled with DH bikes...

my .02 only.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Planning on attending tonight

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    yeah man, my point is that just like rush, its not a DH bike trail. its a directional xc trail, which is great if its part of a nice loop, but maple hollow isn't, really.

unlike rush, which links some of the best trail in draper, and helps alleviate interaction on the down (why not make ghost falls the directional trail? please?), maple hollow is not really a part of a ride per-se. i would prefer to ride jacob's ladder with a ghost falls bonus lap way more than pedal out anne's (<- ?).
    guess we are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. Anne's is one of my favorite trails in the area. Fast flowy, not a ton of pedaling for covering a lot of ground. Up Clark's, over Anne's and down the DH has become my go to loop out there. I don't have to deal with idiots climbing up ghost falls and I get to hit some jumps. Less dog nazis over that way too.

maple hollow is not really a part of a ride per-se.
    Beg to differ on that one. BST->Clarks->Suncrest perimeter->Maple Hollow DH is an awesome loop. I'll definitely agree though that it would be awesome if they turned it into a legit DH trail (with separate routing off the top that eliminated the multi-use switchbacky section and the steep chundery section below the dirt road). One thing you have to keep in mind too is that when construction started on that trail city officials were envisioning something akin to Dropout in Bob's Basin. Considering that, it's come a long way.

just to be clear, you guys would both rather pedal out anne's/suncrest than climb jacob's ladder, and would rather ride maple hollow than descend jacob's/ghost falls?
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

just to be clear, you guys would both rather pedal out anne's/suncrest than climb jacob's ladder, and would rather ride maple hollow than descend jacob's/ghost falls?
    I am solidly in the "up to Jacob's Ladder and descend Jacob's/Ghost" camp, if anyone is asking me. I am going to have to try your loop though dfinn, sounds like a good alternative to my usual.

Bummed I can't make it tonight but I am going to try to find someone to at least email comments to.
    Keep it unclipped

That's correct for me. I've had enough close calls almost killing people coming down ghost that I don't really enjoy riding it that much anymore. To each their own but I'll take wide open and fast vs having to worry what's around every corner and I think it's really fun to hit some decent size jumps (for the xc bike) on the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    (with separate routing off the top that eliminated the multi-use switchbacky section and the steep chundery section below the dirt road).
    Dude that steep chunder section is one of my faves on that trail. Come nuking down that thing and then hit the little catch berm double thingy at the bottom at mach looney, as fast as you dare... omg. Love that shit.

^ agreed, but only love it when I'm on a bike with 2 ply tires.

I can't like to do both (in the same ride even, now that's good times!)? Maple Hollow could be better, but even as is it's better than Rush and no uphill traffic is worth a lot in my book. Jacobs is great, but between where you leave the spine and Ghost it's mostly pretty slow and switchbacky, and Ghost down has a lot of uphill traffic. I only disagree with your assertion that Maple Hollow is "not really a part of a ride per-se" and can't be part of a nice loop, not that it wouldn't be great if they made it a real DH trail (which was not their intention originally).

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Dude that steep chunder section is one of my faves on that trail. Come nuking down that thing and then hit the little catch berm double thingy at the bottom at mach looney, as fast as you dare... omg. Love that shit.
    It's all the steep blown out trail below the catch berm double thingy too. I just feel like you blow a lot of vert between the road and the skinny that could be better utilized.

Just got of the phone with drb... There are people with the city that are on board with what many DHers would like to see. One of which reserved a large room for this meeting with the intention of holding a large number of DH riders. There is room and hope for lots of us to show up tonight - Please do if you can.

drb can comment if he wants on the original intent of said trail (not that it matters); but, in reality... there is room, and were plans, to build 3 DH trails. The next two allowing for more advanced features.

That canyon has potential to offer some amazing shuttle action(which is lacking here) possibly with more trails.

Come if you can and spread the news to friends and fellow squishy bikers.

I can't make it, especially with such short notice, but like JoshP would like an email address or site forum to submit comments, if that exists.

Josh 1 and Josh 2, If drb doesn't have emal info for Greg and the city regarding this trail, I'll get it tonight and post later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Jacobs is great, but between where you leave the spine and Ghost it's mostly pretty slow and switchbacky,
    do you take the cut-off with the double at the bottom that goes right to the parking lot? no need to ride the tight switch back stuff.

its rad draper wants to improve. they care enough to build it, and then keep improving, which is super rare.
    Last edited by marshalolson; 08-20-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post
    Josh 1 and Josh 2, If drb doesn't have emal info for Greg and the city regarding this trail, I'll get it tonight and post later.
    I have the email addy, but would rather not post it online just yet so as to not have him spammed to death. Let's get a report from the meeting and I will PM or post the details of the contact info.

Mike

Impressed with the turnout considering the short notice. Probably 20 people showed up. Looks like the city has enough money to at least get this off the ground ($40k), but it could for sure use volunteers when the time comes for fine shaping and hand work. I'm sure there will be plenty of work and that money will need to be spent on the main trail shaping and major features. The initial plan is to replace the bulk of the current trail with a wide (6') machine built cut with big berms and 20-30' tables along with other options, drops, and hopefully at least one big dirt merchant style step-up. Dirt lips will be senders more than lipped to reduce maintenance and encourage the use of DH bikes. Maybe use some of the lower gulley section (where the best jumps currently are) to make 3 option trails with a return for people to session those trails.

Of note: The part from the upper lot down the XC switchbacks and the rock strewn road (AKA steep chunder section) is all owned by Zion's bank for now and is not part of the rework. If there is money left they sounded open to at least trying to make those sections a touch better, but I wouldn't get my hopes up... or down in Particle's case.

This won't be for the 29er crowd at all, but anyone on a 6"+ bike or slopestyle bikes will love it. There will be a new filter added at the top and at the intersection with Ann's and the trail will be well signed as experts only, double black, downhill only. I'm trying to curb my overstoke, but it seems legit.

Not that I'm the person necessarily, but I do think they could use a hand setting up a way to do online donations cause the way it was presented sounded like they are a little shy of the amount that Alpine Trails feels is needed to completely fill the trail with features. Think of it this way, every $2k gets us another big table. I'm sure we could put price tags on other features too. I wonder if it would be possible to literally setup donations toward specific features once the major trail design is complete? Then people would put their money where their mouths are. Even an extra $5k would go a long way they thought, and I'd hope the DH community could raise at least that. Even if everyone that will ride the trail gave the price of one lift ticket to the Canyon's.

This trail will be a great option when the lifts in PC aren't spinning. Ok fine, I'm STOKED!
    Last edited by phatfreeheeler; 08-20-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    Impressed with the turnout considering the short notice. Probably 20 people showed up. Looks like the city has enough money to at least get this off the ground ($40k), but it could for sure use volunteers when the time comes for fine shaping and hand work. I'm sure there will be plenty of work and that money will need to be spent on the main trail shaping and major features. The initial plan is to replace the bulk of the current trail with a wide (6') machine built cut with big berms and 20-30' tables along with other options, drops, and hopefully at least one big dirt merchant style step-up. Dirt lips will be senders more than lipped to reduce maintenance and encourage the use of DH bikes. Maybe use some of the lower gulley section (where the best jumps currently are) to make 3 option trails with a return for people to session those trails.

Of note: The part from the upper lot down the XC switchbacks and the rock strewn road (AKA steep chunder section) is all owned by Zion's bank for now and is not part of the rework. If there is money left they sounded open to at least trying to make those sections a touch better, but I wouldn't get my hopes up... or down in Particle's case.

This won't be for the 29er crowd at all, but anyone on a 6"+ bike or slopestyle bikes will love it. There will be a new filter added at the top and at the intersection with Ann's and the trail will be well signed as experts only, double black, downhill only. I'm trying to curb my overstoke, but it seems legit.

Not that I'm the person necessarily, but I do think they could use a hand setting up a way to do online donations cause the way it was presented sounded like they are a little shy of the amount that Alpine Trails feels is needed to completely fill the trail with features. Think of it this way, every $2k gets us another big table. I'm sure we could put price tags on other features too. I wonder if it would be possible to literally setup donations toward specific features once the major trail design is complete? Then people would put their money where their mouths are. Even an extra $5k would go a long way they thought, and I'd hope the DH community could raise at least that. Even if everyone that will ride the trail gave the price of one lift ticket to the Canyon's.

This trail will be a great option when the lifts in PC aren't spinning. Ok fine, I'm STOKED!
    Awesome news! I am super stoked from 2000 miles away. Glad the turnout was so strong and the City's plans are in accord with the local community. I cant wait to return to UT to hit this. Hopefully the plans will be carried out completely. So stoked!

PFH, I think it is ok to be stoked about this. I was able to attend last night and I have to say, I was blown away. The ideas are ambitious, but doable. Ive been to a number of trail/bike park/city/advocacy group meetings and I've never seen anything like this.

Having a city engineer enthusiastically lead a big chunk of the meeting was unexpected. When he said Draper has $40k to spend on getting one(!) (DH!) trail right I almost spit out my water.

Mention of liability issues? Meh, same as the skatepark, just put up some signage. Amazing.

Ben from Alpine Trails seems stoked on the project as well. His desire for rider input and volunteer labor is a great thing. I've seen a number of these projects get dominated by the guys getting paid, because they don't want to give up any labor they could be getting paid to do, save some raking or some such.

I am stoked on this! I think the most important part will be finding some equipment help or donations. That was super duper key in getting the Golden Bike Park built.