Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Maestrale vs Maestrale RS: Is the RS worth it? Or is there a better boot?

Looking into getting a new touring boot. I love Scarpas, and am on the Spirit 3's at the moment. I'm looking for something that is stiffer, and has more articulation. If they made the Cochise as a tongue boot, the HojiFit boot, or any tongue boot with swappable soles, I'd be all over it. Unfortunately they don't. So I'm looking at getting a stiffer touring boot. The Maestrale has gotten rave reviews, and other than the color scheme, the general consensus among the cognoscenti is that the RS is indeed the better boot.

Has anyone on here skied both boots (I know LeeLau and maybe Marshalolson have), and have any opinion to offer as to how much better the RS is? Is it worth the extra coin? Is it that much stiffer? Or is there a better boot I should be looking at. The Vulcan maybe? (Yes I saw the comparison thread, not really that much data/beta in it though).

As always, any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

I think verbier 61 said he has been on the RS for a season, that they were 25% stiffer, apparently grilamid plastic is so stiff you can't make an overlap boot out of it because it won't flex enough to get yer foot in the boot

I wana check out the Garmont cosmo or celeste as sizing permits before i commit to the GEA

i just unwrapped shiny new mango maestrales!!

but have zero time in them so i got nothin'.
    the walk mode is like wearing not ski boots.

snnnnnoooooooooooooooooooowww!!!
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Maestrales are nice, lightweight boots with great movement if you're coming from something like a Megaride or Spirit 3. That said, they're really not that stiff and I'm usually wishing mine were stiffer. Nowhere near Cochise, Titan UL, or Vulcan. Never tried the RS though.

while i love my maestrales, i always wish that they would be stiffer. since the rs seems to have no downside (ok, except of the price and the ÜBER UGLINESS™) it would be a no brainer for me. in fact, since my maestrales are falling apart and dynafit did not keep the nice fit of the tlt5 for the vulcan, i think i might get some rs for next season...

freak~[&]

Any thoughts on getting the regular maestrale and just swapping out the tongues?

"Errare Humanum Est"

I have skied both. The RS is a LOT stiffer than the stock Maestrale. That said, even the stock Maestrale is quite a bit stiffer than a Spirit 3.

The Maestrale RS feels great and isn't as ugly in person as I was expecting. I've only worn them in the shop, but I'd say 15-20 percent stiffer than the regular Maestrale. If you aren't in a hurry, I'd try on the Dynafit Mercury (forefoot width is close to Scarpa, arch and heel are narrower) - somewhat stiffer and slightly better cuff articulation. Maybe the Cosmo also, but I haven't seen it in person.

I have access to scarpa's proform, and I do like their boots so that's a huge plus. The first rule of proform is not to talk about proform. But without mentioning prices, I was surprised how much more the rs is. Plus they don't seem to have them in my size.

"Errare Humanum Est"

pretty sure that the maestrales will be a narrower fit than your scarpa 3's, just a heads up.

^^^yep, i'm aware. thanks!

"Errare Humanum Est"

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The Maestrale RS feels great and isn't as ugly in person as I was expecting. I've only worn them in the shop, but I'd say 15-20 percent stiffer than the regular Maestrale. If you aren't in a hurry, I'd try on the Dynafit Mercury (forefoot width is close to Scarpa, arch and heel are narrower) - somewhat stiffer and slightly better cuff articulation. Maybe the Cosmo also, but I haven't seen it in person.
    Is there going to be a chick model of the Vulcan or mercury ... I take a 24

Anyone know when the Vulcan is supposed to hit stores? Want to try it and the Maestrale RS back-to-back. Speaking of that comparison, I've heard the nylon in the RS isn't as temp sensitive as other plastics. Will the Vulcan stiffen up considerably in the cold?

gregL, you're saying the Dynafit Mercury is stiffer than the Maestrale RS? That's interesting...

[Sure wish they made something in between the TLT 5P and the Vulcan, 1300-1400g w/ a nice progressive flex - though this might be an option for the Vulcan: toss in an intuition liner and ditch the powerstrap, bottom buckle, and the tongue.]
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Speaking of that comparison, I've heard the nylon in the RS isn't as temp sensitive as other plastics. Will the Vulcan stiffen up considerably in the cold?
    Both are made with that new plastic called grilamid, that isn't temp sensitive and won't stiffen up or soften depending on the weather. I believe the RS if full grilamid, cuff and boot, while the vulcan is carbon fiber cuff, grilamid boot.

"Errare Humanum Est"

Oops, that was dumb of me. Knew Vulcan has grilamid lower, but didn't realize the RS was grilamid as well -- wildsnow says the tongue of the RS is still pebax, fyi. Should have done my research before posting. Anyway, looks like it will be a fair in-store comparison.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think verbier 61 said he has been on the RS for a season, that they were 25% stiffer, apparently grilamid plastic is so stiff you can't make an overlap boot out of it because it won't flex enough to get yer foot in the boot

I wana check out the Garmont cosmo or celeste as sizing permits before i commit to the GEA
    Yes, after a full season on the rs I am very, very happy. The rs tongue alone does not make an rs, btw. I will bring the rs to ushuaia this week with a set of different liners to see if they make any significant difference.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    gregL, you're saying the Dynafit Mercury is stiffer than the Maestrale RS? That's interesting...
    Trying them on at ~90 degrees in the store, I felt like the Maestrale RS was just about right for a performance AT boot and the Mercury was a tad too stiff (or too stiff too soon) - I would probably cut off an inch of the removable tongue like I did on my TLT5P's.

Hey Greg - where did you find a Mercury to try on? Local in Seattle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

the vulcan/mercury/one boots fit sorta different than the maestrale (and titan and TLT5).

try before buy IMO.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Trying them on at ~90 degrees in the store, I felt like the Maestrale RS was just about right for a performance AT boot and the Mercury was a tad too stiff (or too stiff too soon) - I would probably cut off an inch of the removable tongue like I did on my TLT5P's.
    You know, the flex index in an hot store is a pretty risky task... But the nylons of rs and mercury might be quite similar

PNWbrit, clear out some of your PM's, you're over the limit on storage! I just tried on the Dalbello Sherpa 7/3, Scarpa Maestrale RS, and Dynafit Mercury one after the other at more or less room temperature, and my opinion remains the same. Mercury feels the stiffest of the three, but not by a huge margin over the RS.

PNWbrit, clear out some of your PM's, you're over the limit on storage! I just tried on the Dalbello Sherpa 7/3, Scarpa Maestrale RS, and Dynafit Mercury one after the other at more or less room temperature, and my opinion remains the same. Mercury feels the stiffest of the three, but not by a huge margin over the RS.
    done......
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Is there going to be a chick model of the Vulcan or mercury ... I take a 24
    I don't have the catalog in front of me, but I believe they are just doing a Pebax version of the One for women this year.

Has anyone been able to confirm FOR SURE that scraps will allow tongue swapping?

I have a pair of the mango's and could really use a stiffer tongue...
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    Has anyone been able to confirm FOR SURE that scraps will allow tongue swapping?

I have a pair of the mango's and could really use a stiffer tongue...
    i seem to recall being told they use the same tongue.

pebax is a pretty poor material for a shell lower to be made out of. it deforms easily and has poor rebound compared to PU (and grilamid), and that is why the maestrale feels so soft. the RS is made out of a better plastic and feels like it on snow. it has better snap and life, and that is real and tangible on snow.

i don't think if the maestrale will fit the same foot as a vulcan/mercury. the vulcan has a pretty weird last, at least to me. IMO it is a departure from the super dialed fit of the tlt5 and titan.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com