Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру

PDX Mags, where to go for Subie cooling system repair?

I'm visiting my folks in Portland and my usually trusty Subie overheated when going to Timberline yesterday (and ran hot on the way down from Missoula). I think it's likely the thermostat.

I need to drive back to Missoula Friday (I work Saturday afternoon), so I need some names of good shops to call and hopefully one will be able to get the job done in time. Help!
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

I've got no answer for you, but if the thermostat goes bad shouldn't it get stuck open/run cool?

http://www.appleautomotiveservice.com

This guy is the man!

Sent from my DROIDX using TGR Forums

I have gone into Reborn Automotive on MLK blvd a number of times with different Subarus I was looking to purchase. They are very helpful, knowledgable, and honest. If you go ask for Cliff, he is a nice guy and very knowledgable on everything Subaru. Highly recommend these guys especially for your predicament. Not sure if they can fit your time frame but hopefully so.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Thanks fish I'll call him in the morning.

Any others? The more suggestions the better, I need to find someone who isn't stacked up with appointments, and can work on it tomorrow.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_steve View Post
    I have gone into Reborn Automotive on MLK blvd a number of times with different Subarus I was looking to purchase. They are very helpful, knowledgable, and honest. If you go ask for Cliff, he is a nice guy and very knowledgable on everything Subaru. Highly recommend these guys especially for your predicament. Not sure if they can fit your time frame but hopefully so.
    Thanks Steve, that's closer to where I'm staying (near Hillsdale).

Keep 'em coming folks, I'd like to have several to try in the AM.

There's an imports shop on Hawthorne whose name I can't remember, but they do very reputable work and over half their business is Subies.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Thanks to another PDX Pete, I found Hawthorn Automotive is an award winning import shop.

Superior Import Repair
    fixmysuby.com
    635 East Burnside

They only work on subarus and are friendly, honest, try to save you money where they can, and do good work. I've been bringing both our subies there for several years--no complaints. If you tell them your predicament, I'm sure they'll try and fit you in.

Thanks natty et al, I think I now have a good list to work from.

Screw Angie's List, Maggots rule!

I ended up bringing it to Henderson Auto in Tigard (on recommendation of another friend). It was a blown head gasket.

I didn't have money to fix it, but I limped it back to Missoula, and inspite of running it in fourth gear (it over heated in fifth) it got almost 30mpg on the trip back.

I will do the repair myself, with a ski buddy who was a mechanic for 30+ years.

Thanks again for the responses.