The Canyons or Deer Valley? Beta please.

Heading to Utah for a few days. Got a buddy who just built a house next to Snow Basin.
    Plan to do a day at Snow Basin and then head down to Park City. Only have one day so trying to decide; Deer Valley or Canyons.
    My true DH park experience is a day at Trestles and a couple days at Boyne.
    Confident in my abilities but not keen on high price for failure stuff.
    What's your take on each place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

DV = old school dh. Steep, rocky, tech.
    Canyons is 180 degrees opposite. Smooth flowy jumps.

Depends on what you're into. I like both.

Agree with dfinn, but will add a bit more beta.

Not sure what trails you preferred at Trestle, so this may add some more insight.

DV has more trails than the Canyons, and is definitely NOT like a majority of the mountain at Trestle. DV's most challenging trails (NCS, Fireswamp and Thieves Forest) are more similar to Trestle DH or Bear Arms than anything else at Trestle. Way more raw, natural terrain with virtually zero machine built trails at DV, unlike a significant portion of the trails at Trestle. DV has lots of intermediate trails as well, but if you are looking for trails like Rainmaker, No Quarter, Shy Ann, etc., DV is not the place you want to go.

The Canyons is trying to be a resort with trails like Rainmaker, Shy Ann, etc., but it is still a work in process. The trails are very short, the lift is very slow, and there are no technical raw trails at the Canyons like Trestle DH, Bear Arms, etc. Not trying to crap on the Canyons as it is awesome to have a new offering in the Wasatch, but I don't want you to have expectations that the Canyons is like Trestle at this stage. It is a much smaller mountain with far fewer and shorter trails. If you arrive at the Canyons thinking that it will be similar to Trestle, you will be disappointed. The trails at the Canyons are fun and they flow OK, but they do not yet compare to trails like Rainmaker and No Quarter. The Canyons is definitely still working out the kinks with the flow in some spots, the size of the jumps in some spots (very easy to overshoot the landings in places), etc. I think that the Canyons will only get better in time.

My $.02. You can't go wrong either way as both mountains have a ton of fun offerings.
    Join WAFTA, promoting downhill and freeride trails in the Wasatch. www.waftautah.com

Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux View Post
    Agree with dfinn, but will add a bit more beta.

Not sure what trails you preferred at Trestle, so this may add some more insight.

DV has more trails than the Canyons, and is definitely NOT like a majority of the mountain at Trestle. DV's most challenging trails (NCS, Fireswamp and Thieves Forest) are more similar to Trestle DH or Bear Arms than anything else at Trestle. Way more raw, natural terrain with virtually zero machine built trails at DV, unlike a significant portion of the trails at Trestle. DV has lots of intermediate trails as well, but if you are looking for trails like Rainmaker, No Quarter, Shy Ann, etc., DV is not the place you want to go.

The Canyons is trying to be a resort with trails like Rainmaker, Shy Ann, etc., but it is still a work in process. The trails are very short, the lift is very slow, and there are no technical raw trails at the Canyons like Trestle DH, Bear Arms, etc. Not trying to crap on the Canyons as it is awesome to have a new offering in the Wasatch, but I don't want you to have expectations that the Canyons is like Trestle at this stage. It is a much smaller mountain with far fewer and shorter trails. If you arrive at the Canyons thinking that it will be similar to Trestle, you will be disappointed. The trails at the Canyons are fun and they flow OK, but they do not yet compare to trails like Rainmaker and No Quarter. The Canyons is definitely still working out the kinks with the flow in some spots, the size of the jumps in some spots (very easy to overshoot the landings in places), etc. I think that the Canyons will only get better in time.

My $.02. You can't go wrong either way as both mountains have a ton of fun offerings.
    Thanks, I prefer a more technical trail so DV sound more to my taste, however, due to sheer lack of experience, I'm not real big on high price for failure type stuff. That's why we choose Trestles over Keystone; both can be big but Keystone requires absolute commitment or things can be painful (what I'd heard). Is DV like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Thanks, I prefer a more technical trail so DV sound more to my taste, however, due to sheer lack of experience, I'm not real big on high price for failure type stuff. That's why we choose Trestles over Keystone; both can be big but Keystone requires absolute commitment or things can be painful (what I'd heard). Is DV like that?
    If you like a more technical trail, definitely go to DV and do not go to the Canyons. DV has technical trail offerings of various degrees of difficulty. The Canyons has no technical trails at this point. DV is big enough and diverse enough that you will feel comfortably challenged technically on some of the runs there, you will be able to take a break on some easier trails that are still moderately technically challenging, and if you feel up for it, you can ride some trails (like Thieves, Fireswamp, and NCS) that will likely challenge you technically. There are a few spots where there could be a high price of failure on those trails, but a majority of the mountain does not come with that.

If I was comparing Keystone to DV, I would definitely say that the hardest trails at Keystone are more difficult than the hardest trail at DV. For example, DV does not have any trails with the steepness of Helter at Keystone, or features like the skinny drop off or corkscrew on Sanitarium. At DV, based on how you have described your abilities, I think that you would feel very comfortable on a trail like Naildriver, pretty comfortable on trails like Twist and Shout, Aspen Slalom, and maybe Freestyle, and maybe a little challenged (in a good way, not a super high consequence way) on trails like Fireswamp and Thieves.

Youtube will give you a sense of the offerings. I did a quick youtube search of some videos from DV and think this prolly shows you the best mixture of DV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQxqC_e0j3I

Second is Canyons (me filming following mag powder4breakfast): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b1hH...2&feature=plcp

That Canyons video basically shows you all three trails worth riding. As you can see, there are three of them, and they are pretty short.

Have fun.
    Join WAFTA, promoting downhill and freeride trails in the Wasatch. www.waftautah.com

Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux View Post
    If you like a more technical trail, definitely go to DV and do not go to the Canyons. DV has technical trail offerings of various degrees of difficulty. The Canyons has no technical trails at this point. DV is big enough and diverse enough that you will feel comfortably challenged technically on some of the runs there, you will be able to take a break on some easier trails that are still moderately technically challenging, and if you feel up for it, you can ride some trails (like Thieves, Fireswamp, and NCS) that will likely challenge you technically. There are a few spots where there could be a high price of failure on those trails, but a majority of the mountain does not come with that.

If I was comparing Keystone to DV, I would definitely say that the hardest trails at Keystone are more difficult than the hardest trail at DV. For example, DV does not have any trails with the steepness of Helter at Keystone, or features like the skinny drop off or corkscrew on Sanitarium. At DV, based on how you have described your abilities, I think that you would feel very comfortable on a trail like Naildriver, pretty comfortable on trails like Twist and Shout, Aspen Slalom, and maybe Freestyle, and maybe a little challenged (in a good way, not a super high consequence way) on trails like Fireswamp and Thieves.

Youtube will give you a sense of the offerings. I did a quick youtube search of some videos from DV and think this prolly shows you the best mixture of DV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQxqC_e0j3I

Second is Canyons (me filming following mag powder4breakfast): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b1hH...2&feature=plcp

That Canyons video basically shows you all three trails worth riding. As you can see, there are three of them, and they are pretty short.

Have fun.
    Cool, that video and others I found of Thieves/ Fireswamp look exactly like what I'm looking for (although video never shows the steepness)
    Thanks