Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sun protection, yo!

use sunscreen

better yet - use sunblock - slather yer nose and ears with zinc - you'll be glad you did

I had something dodgy frozen off of my ear yesterday. It's been bugging me for months. It feels better already.

I also had something scraped off of my face to be peeked at.

Doc said I'm in pretty good shape for how much sun exposure I get.

Eye doc said the same thing. It's worth having the best damn sunglasses and goggles you can get.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Sound advice. Just went through a melanoma scare... biopsy came back as negative today.

My wife is the queen of sunscreen (and her skin is all the better for it!) Using it more, now.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Check out the uv exposure booth at sia. Free to see the damage on our face and they help out if you need anything done. Went there last year and changed how I go out everyday.

J
    Pay the man that pays me

http://www.ever-ware.com/
    http://pmgear.com/
    http://freeridesystems.bigcartel.com/

lurking with a bag o dicks for you

Sun screen is not just for the present.. its benefits will follow you thru the rest of your life.. I work at a surgery center that specializes in excising skin cancers (ENT & Cosmetic).. Skin cancer can take years even decades to manifest itself... and I have been in the OR when a smallish appearing lesion has resulted in a >50 cent sized specimen being excised.. Depending on where it is located, closure can be 'interesting'.. Yep.. your best defense is liberal use of sunscreen or better yet sunblock... I use a min of SPF 30.. prefer 50.. and when I'm on a glacier it's 85... and don't forget your hat.. cuz I have seen many excised from the scalp.. hairy scalps..

teleMike & BigDaddy.. glad your procedures went well...

Many people don't realize there's a difference between sunblock and sunscreen. True to its name, sunblock reflects the sun's rays, thereby blocking them from reaching your skin.
    Sunscreen absorbs rather than reflects ultraviolet (UV) radiation, explains a new edition of Skin Care and Repair , a Harvard Medical School report.

Sunblocks, such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, are highly effective in protecting against both UVA and UVB rays, the types of UV radiation that cause sunburn and skin cancer. Sunblocks often appear white on the skin. Sunscreens tend to be less visible on the skin. They usually contain benzophenones, which protect against UVA, and cinnamates and salicylates, which protect against UVB. You'll see these ingredients listed as oxybenzone, octyl salicylate, or octyl methoxycinnamate, to name a few. A major drawback of these sunscreen ingredients is that they often break down after several hours of exposure to sunlight, which means you need to reapply them.

But two new sunscreens—Anthelios SX and Helioplex—provide longer-lasting protection against UVA and UVB rays. Research shows that Anthelios SX, which was approved by the FDA in 2006, retains 80% of its UVA protection and 90% of its UVB protection five hours after application.

The American Academy of Dermatology recommends using sunscreen with an SPF rating of at least 15. People with fair skin or at high risk for skin cancer may want to go higher. The higher a sunscreen's SPF rating, the longer it protects against sun exposure. Products labeled “broad spectrum” often contain several different sun protection ingredients in order to cover a broad range of UV radiation.
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

summetime, ya could wear a hat a lot, too. :P

Hats, sunglasses and sunscreen/block, don't leave home without them.

Especially for little kids. We didn't know shit about this when I was little. I can't begin to count the number of bad sunburns I got, not to mention the fact my nose peeled from the beginning of summer until the end. But then we didn't have seat belts, or bicycle helmets either, and our mothers smoked and drank throughout their pregnancies.

Julbo has some great toddler shades.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Ha! All things considered, we should be dead.

yay!

no skin cancer

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    yay!

no skin cancer
    ^^^Yay!!!
    Just a matter of time before I get cut up.

anybody use this information?

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/

To add to all the great info, if your on water or snow, watch the inside of your mouth... It sucks getting sunburn on the roof of your mouth after a great day on the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by dmski View Post
    To add to all the great info, if your on water or snow, watch the inside of your mouth... It sucks getting sunburn on the roof of your mouth after a great day on the hill.
    Keep your mouth shut or suck on ZnO?

I use at least 30 all the time now, but I was a lifeguard during the Hawaiian Tropic years. I'm fuked!

besides the hat & at least an SPF 30 sunscreen, wearing long sleeves which also keeps the bugs at bay

If you drive a lot it's a good idea to put some on your left hand and arm. My Dad goes in for snipping every 6 months and his left arm has seen a lot of snippage.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    anybody use this information?

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/
    that's my go-to website when I'm shopping for sunscreens. too bad the top rated sunscreens are hard to find and costly. I pretty much doubled what i spend on sunscreen once all the reports saying OXYBENZONE distorts skin cell growth when exposed to the sun (read: causes skin cancer). no point in slathering on sunscreen that puts one at more risk. I also wear long sleeves, pants, hat, sunglasses when I'm gonna be in the sun for long periods.

Thanks for the reminder, just went to Amazon and ordered new sunscreens with Helioplex - not just my usual 85SPF, and not more expensive for the good brands. As a pale kid growing up in Hawaii I was always burned and pealing, hopefully living in Oregon for 11 years wound that damage back a little bit. Now I'm in California and back to slopping it on.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

what are you using?

what are you using?
    Not using enough. Just had another dozen or so spots frozen from my ears, forehead, cheeks and that tender spot next to the eyes.

Too many summers at the lake, peeling several layers deep...

Please, do use the sunscreen. Repeatably and often.

Or only ski in storms.

Let it Snow!

doughboyshredder Guest
    Don't use it. Get burned once in early summer each year then I darken. Sunscreen causes cancer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using TGR Forums

Your body is constructed to use vitamin E for sun protection. If you're not eating enough sunflower seeds, almonds, spinach, and swiss chard, you may be putting yourself at risk for skin cancer.

Vitamin E has sometimes been described as the "lightening rod" of the cell, allowing reactive molecules to strike the cell, like lightening, without causing damage. This "lightening rod" function of vitamin E is particularly apparent in the case of the skin, since vitamin E directly protects the skin from ultraviolet radiation (also called UV light). In numerous research studies, vitamin E applied topically to the skin has been shown to prevent UV damage. When the diet contains vitamin E-rich foods, vitamin E can travel to the skin cell membranes and exert this same protective effect.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=111

I also have to throw in that if you're not getting controlled sun exposure or taking a high quality cod liver oil, then you're putting yourself at risk for a host of health problems, including skin cancer, through inadequate vitamin D levels. Now "controlled sun exposure" is much different from frying your face and hands on high altitude snowfields. Fifteen minutes per day on a large surface area does the trick. But if you live north of the Mason Dixon you need to look at taking cod liver oil during the winter months. This is the highest quality product available: http://www.greenpasture.org/public/P...rOil/index.cfm
    Last edited by SheRa; 11-04-2012 at 06:34 AM.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

[QUOTE=doughboyshredder;3797938]Don't use it. Get burned once in early summer each year then I darken. Sunscreen causes cancer.

I do it without the burn or the chemicals but i have a cute dermatologist that loves my tan lines and her scalpel.
    ouch

use sunscreen

better yet - use sunblock - slather yer nose and ears with zinc - you'll be glad you did

I had something dodgy frozen off of my ear yesterday. It's been bugging me for months. It feels better already.

I also had something scraped off of my face to be peeked at.

Doc said I'm in pretty good shape for how much sun exposure I get.

Eye doc said the same thing. It's worth having the best damn sunglasses and goggles you can get.
    According to my dermatologist, Caucasians living in alpine environments have the highest risk of skin cancer compared to any other segment. Even over the beach due to a combination of altitude, non-filtered sun and reflections from the snow. When I told her i was moving to the mountains, she told me with no uncertainty, that i should wear 30+ SPF on ALL exposed skin ALL the time, and reapply often. Def a pain in the ass, but better safe than sorry!

but how do i get a goggle tan with sunblock!
    my shoulders still get irritated in any amount of sunlight from some gnarly burns as a kiddo. and i am outside 8+ hours 4 days a week in utah, i better get checked out...and buy some helioplex....
    thanks for the awareness!