Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Really I'd just call it day and move on.

Anything else is gonna end up being more hassle (and potential bad feelings) than what, $4-5K, max? You have the house, you obviously wanted it or you would have sold, so call it good.

edit: I just read Benny's post. We're actually saying the same thing but mine was just slightly mellower and I don't think you're being a dick to wonder about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Benny = bitter ragebeast. It's actually quite sad.
    His aforementioned divorce seems rather obvious, yet suprising as it implies that someone actually agreed to marry him. Miracles happen everyday......

Quote Originally Posted by Fat City View Post
    His aforementioned divorce seems rather obvious, yet suprising as it implies that someone actually agreed to marry him. Miracles happen everyday......
    I pity your eventual real wife, asshole.

I funded the initial downpayment entirely myself.
    Ok, did you each pay half of the mortgage, property tax and insurance? Who got what for income tax deductions?

Did she kick in for some of the closing costs?

Just trying to figure out who had what at risk, and who got benefits of ownership

I funded the initial downpayment entirely myself.
    Interesting...

I would assume that the refi knocked ~2-3% off your interest rate compared to 4 years ago. If that's the case I'd say the refi worked to your benefit. If I were you I'd let her walk away free. Call it a learning experience and never finance anything with anyone who isn't legally bound to you.

appraised at 108K doesnt mean you would get that price and so somebody has to keep paying the mortgage wait/worry while it sells and maybe the price tanks more ...seen it happen more than once ?

Since her name was on the mortgage she would have to come up with her share so her paying you 3K to get free & clear based on a snapshot in time is a good idea and a fair deal IMO

IME waiting around in a volitile house market can really screw one party up so cutting it up and everybody moving on with their lives asap is the best way to go

since you were able to agree on an amicable 3k its ogood , if she wouldnt come up with 3K it would still be good

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I pity your eventual real wife, asshole.
    You do realize you're giving me a veiled compliment here, don't you? Benny, you fail at so much more than marriage and basic English punctuation than you realize.....

You do realize you're giving me a veiled compliment here, don't you? Benny, you fail at so much more than marriage and basic English punctuation than you realize.....
    hmmmm....somebody else was criticizing my punctuation the other day. Are you an alias, on top of being an asshole?

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Ok, did you each pay half of the mortgage, property tax and insurance? Who got what for income tax deductions?

Did she kick in for some of the closing costs?

Just trying to figure out who had what at risk, and who got benefits of ownership
    As stated, I funded the initial downpayment to get us into the house in question entirely myself. The interest/deductions were split evenly between us. She didn't supplement the closing cost on the initial mortgage (rolled in the closing cost) and hasn't (yet) given any concessions for the current closing costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanos View Post
    Interesting...

I would assume that the refi knocked ~2-3% off your interest rate compared to 4 years ago. If that's the case I'd say the refi worked to your benefit. If I were you I'd let her walk away free. Call it a learning experience and never finance anything with anyone who isn't legally bound to you.
    Yes, it did bring my interest rate down a few % points, but that was simply a welcome benefit from a necessitated step in the process. I didn't want to leave the house (obviously not for financial gain), and had to refinance to get her name off the mortgage.

hmmmm....somebody else was criticizing my punctuation the other day. Are you an alias, on top of being an asshole?
    Probably not or he would be talking about selling a trailer, not a house.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

No, Benny. I am not an alias. I am simply another pedestrian wading through the aborted placenta you call a sentence.

Can't say as to how to split up the cost of financing - seems like a 50/50 split to me. Who the fuck really knows what the place will be worth at the maturity of the mortage.
    As for the actual 'value' of the house for the purpose of the break-up, I be looking at the money sunk in; who paid what % of the down payment, plus principle paid. Cost of maintenance of the place while together would be 50/50 no matter the individual investment.

But then every such split is unique - just do it quick and painless and move on.

Dude, just move on. It's a small enough amount of money to just deal with, yet enough that you can bring it up if she starts shit with you. Pretty small payment to just tie up loose ends.

As stated, I funded the initial downpayment to get us into the house in question entirely myself. The interest/deductions were split evenly between us. She didn't supplement the closing cost on the initial mortgage (rolled in the closing cost) and hasn't (yet) given any concessions for the current closing costs.
    Given your answers, I think her paying half the closing costs on the refi is reasonable. The rest of it is up to you. Personally i would just let the rest go.

Yes you are upside down on the place at present, but your carrying cost is less too. Your lower after tax interest cost will offset the loss in current value in a reasonable time.

Dude.

Really? You keep the possible future equity, probably re-financed at a lower rate, and you expect her to pay you money simply for breaking up w/you?

If you were partners in the property how were you able to refinance (read: change the legal status of one of the partners) without her consent?

Don't be a dick. Walk away.

I'll play the devil's advocate just for sport. Let's assume you're hitting a bit of a liquidity crunch having lost half the mortgage revenue. And let's assume she is sitting pretty good and is pretty stoked to get back out on her own. You could write up a contract where she pays a % of closing costs, and you get her some % of any appreciation when you sell. Win-win.

ok, i'll go back to my regularly scheduled old vine zinfandel...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

No, Benny. I am not an alias. I am simply another pedestrian wading through the aborted placenta you call a sentence.
    heh. punctuation nazi w/ humor. well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    ok, i'll go back to my regularly scheduled old vine zinfandel...
    Didn't you get the memo? It's a Chilean Pinot night.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Didn't you get the memo? It's a Chilean Pinot night.
    dammit!!! that sounds delicious! Pairing with a spicy sausage pasta dish, that would have been perfect.

Got any good Rose rec's? Like, 'real' rose's, not Beringer white sin. Chick i'm chasing likes 'em. [and isn't paying half my mortgage, just to stay on track...]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Ask for $3k but don't expect anything. If you get it it's a windfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    dammit!!! that sounds delicious! Pairing with a spicy sausage pasta dish, that would have been perfect.

Got any good Rose rec's? Like, 'real' rose's, not Beringer white sin. Chick i'm chasing likes 'em. [and isn't paying half my mortgage, just to stay on track...]
    Look to Spain, amigo.

As most people have said. Probably not worth the fight and you should just take your lumps and move on. If this really is as amicable as you make it sound, the most I would feel right about getting would be have of the closing costs of the refi. That is her "cost" to getting her name off the mortgage and being able to move on free and clear. If she thinks that is reasonable and pays it, well you probably shouldn't have broken up with her because she sounds like a non-psycho hosebeast. I am sure your future relationships/breakups will go much worse.

Why did you refinance? Did you have a mortgage that couldn't be assumed?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Why did you refinance? Did you have a mortgage that couldn't be assumed?
    Yes, the previous (shared) mortgage was not assumable by me under the terms. The refinance changed the terms in such a way that I could financially make it happen (in the banks eyes).