Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Praxis MVP

Just picked up a lightly-used pair of 187 MVPs (12/13) with the carbon layup (med/stiff). I'm 6', 185# and it sounds like maybe I shoulda gone bigger. Amiwrong?

I'm thinking of mounting with SollyFit plates, and using these primarily for a backcountry setup.

Not wrong. But if it's primarily backcountry, you'll be glad of the 187 on any more technical ascents. That carbon is only 8.3 lbs for the pair or so...That'll be sweet.

I'm kind of wanting to sell my 184 piste jibs and get 193 fiberglass MVPs for a slush, bumps, park ski. I don't think I would mind the extra length...they seem so much more park/all mtn friendly than the GPO...

amIwrong?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Really...most purchase should be made with a couple beers on board.

Quote Originally Posted by cmeriptahoe View Post
    Wanted to thank everybody for their input here.

Had a few beers to loosen me up and pulled the trigger on some 193's w/ carbon in a 7 flex.

I could not be more pumped to spend pretty much every day available this season on these skis.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Not wrong. But if it's primarily backcountry, you'll be glad of the 187 on any more technical ascents. That carbon is only 8.3 lbs for the pair or so...That'll be sweet.
    Nice - that's what I was thinking too. Thanks for the input!

I have been skiing my new Carbon layup 183's the last week and have 5 days on them. 4 typical EC groomer/ mm "powder" days and todays -5` 7" of needles snow. I mounted them at the mark and have done no nor do I think they need any detuning. Super fun easy to turn ski driven with Spirit 4's. I have a well used pair of 183 Mountain Jibs and the MVP skis similarly but much more precise. Mounted with Sollyfits and FFG14, have not had a chance to run the Plums yet. I will post a review after I get a chance to tour a bit.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post

I'm kind of wanting to sell my 184 piste jibs and get 193 fiberglass MVPs for a slush, bumps, park ski. I don't think I would mind the extra length...they seem so much more park/all mtn friendly than the GPO...

amIwrong?
    One more question for ya. Earlier in this thread, you said you had em inserted for dynafit. Did you mount on the dimple? Or back at all? I'm thinking about going 1 cm back, given all the talk about how they ski short. Again, this will be primarily touring, but also some resort skiing when not on the bibbys. Thanks boss.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Just picked up a lightly-used pair of 187 MVPs (12/13) with the carbon layup (med/stiff). I'm 6', 185# and it sounds like maybe I shoulda gone bigger. Amiwrong?

I'm thinking of mounting with SollyFit plates, and using these primarily for a backcountry setup.
    I know which pair you picked up and you got an absolutely smoking deal on them... Congrats...

To confirm what Super C stated the 187s should be money for you... I am 6'4" and 205 lbs and I have the standard layup in 193 and I could not be happier... I am absolutely in love with this ski as it is playful, but at the same time does not get knocked around in junked up snow... The only thing I have not skiied it in yet is POW, but that is not the reason I bought the ski as I will pull out my GPOs or Renegades... To me Keith nailed this ski and I followed his advice and mounted on the line and would not change it...

Now what does surprise me is how many of these skis are being sold in Gearswap... In addition to yours there are currently 2 more pairs up for grabs that are either brand new or close... Not sure what the deal is, but this ski absolutely gets is done...

Enjoy...!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    One more question for ya. Earlier in this thread, you said you had em inserted for dynafit. Did you mount on the dimple? Or back at all? I'm thinking about going 1 cm back, given all the talk about how they ski short. Again, this will be primarily touring, but also some resort skiing when not on the bibbys. Thanks boss.
    I have my 188 mtn jibs inserted for solly 914s and dynafits. Definitely the ancestor of the MVP, but not actually an MVP. I hope this doesn't destroy my cred, but I actually don't own MVPs yet. Waiting for my rewards points to get a little bigger, then I'll cash in. If anyone needs a 15% off link, PM me.

Regardless. they are on the dimple for both. The 914s have a huge adjustment range, so they are on the dimple for 324mm (but they adjust down all the way to 308 or so) and the dynafits on the dimple for 310mm. It's a centered ride for sure. In deep snow, I'm right on the balls of my feet and my legs are a little farther apart. I used to have to ride backseat, but once I shimmed the dynafit toes, that got better.

There is 92 cm of rocker total, so they are going to ski short. If you don't mind raging in the bc, def go -1. I HAVE to keep myself in check in the bc and remind myself always to dial it back a bit, so I find it better not to have a rage setup for touring. Has way too much potential to get me into trouble.

-1 is probably alright, but Keith knows that info best and he's always willing to discuss. Most of the praxis line have a 3+ cm long sweet spot. Just depends on style, weight, purpose, etc. I would stay on the dimple. I don't think -1 is going to make them feel much longer. You might get a little more float, but i don't see it making all that much difference with 50 cm of tip rocker. If Marshal disagrees, I defer to him, but that's how I see it. If you're comfortable centered, stay on the dimple. If you really drive those tips 100% of the time, -1 will suit you better.

But really, just ask Keith before you make that decision. He's a park rat, centered skier, and a lot of mags think his dimple is too far forward. I usually agree with his recs.

Oh, also, FWIW, I'm 6'0" 165.

I'm considering some Praxis. How does this "invite your friends thing" work? Anybody want to "invite me"?

Quote Originally Posted by atree View Post
    I'm considering some Praxis. How does this "invite your friends thing" work? Anybody want to "invite me"?
    PM sent...

Thinking about trading my 183 liberty helix for these in a 183... They'd mainly be used for teaching the kids {think slow flat and wedges) and then ripping around resort on days the protest can't come out or its skied out. Occasional BC day early or late season as well (again for non protest days).

Looking at the blister gear reviews I'm worried that it'll be too short with the extra rocker AND be more input\width than I want for skiing with kiddo.

Any thoughts? Anyone skied both for comparison?

I'm 5'10'and 185,but the helix has very limited rocker and is already at short end...

Too short? Probably...go 187? Tape pull on the 187 is something like 184.8.

Trouble going slow/ teaching? No. Most praxis respond just fine to skiing at slower speeds (only exception that comes to mind is the freeride), and these are certainly easy to shut down.

Flyman, want my 183s? I'd like to go to 187s (but I'm not really pushing to sell mine)

Right now I'm really only asking because I might have an offer of 183s in response to my other WTT thread:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=272538

So, kinda just feeling out if that offer might work for me...

I just came off a top to bottom tooth chattering nonstop ride down Mt. Ellen, nonstop, on carbon 183's after finally getting around to mounting them*. I'm a lighter skier at 145 but these things just railed turns in every shape and speed. Conditions are scary fast here, but I was never scared to let them go and just felt like it was the finest run of the season despite the conditions. An hour later and I'm still glowing like I just hopped in a delorean and hit my teenage GF from the back for the first time. I've never driven one, but they handled like what I picture a Porsche c4s would be like. All the power and control you'd ever want. Can't wait to get balls deep in some powder to really feel the love, so I hope it actually snows sometime.

*I mounted them on the dimple and put a 1,1 tune on them first and they were pure sex.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    I just came off a top to bottom tooth chattering nonstop ride down Mt. Ellen, nonstop, on carbon 183's after finally getting around to mounting them*. I'm a lighter skier at 145 but these things just railed turns in every shape and speed. Conditions are scary fast here, but I was never scared to let them go and just felt like it was the finest run of the season despite the conditions. An hour later and I'm still glowing like I just hopped in a delorean and hit my teenage GF from the back for the first time. I've never driven one, but they handled like what I picture a Porsche c4s would be like. All the power and control you'd ever want. Can't wait to get balls deep in some powder to really feel the love, so I hope it actually snows sometime.

*I mounted them on the dimple and put a 1,1 tune on them first and they were pure sex.
    Could not have said it any better... I have the 193s and have a huge quiver and major overlap and I absolutely love this ski... If I was only able to keep one it would be this one... Fun, chargy, fast edge to edge, big GS turns and just a get it done ski... Keith and team nailed it...

^^^ this thread is going to force me into divorce court.
    Might have to wait til next year but thinking I might have to add a pair to the quiver.
    Sounds perfect.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    ^^^ this thread is going to force me into divorce court.
    Might have to wait til next year but thinking I might have to add a pair to the quiver.
    Sounds perfect.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ment-Deathwish

I can also refer a good attorney. [/spam]

I'd make the trade and go from there. While I'm a proponent of long skis I'm starting to see that a lot can be accomplished on shorter boards. For your intended purpose, the trade seems like a good decision and if they don't meet your expectations they may be easier to sell than the libertys or you can keep them for "family skis" and add 193s later on.

praxis rx!

Bump.

Anyone tried these and Rossi Sickles? I'm looking for a replacement and this ski sounds like it might be close. I've seen a few picks of the rocker and it seems long but quite gradual... so I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to engage the entire edge (like you can on the sickle), but I'd love to heard any first-hand comparisons.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

E-mail fresh 1/27

"For the rest of the winter we will be offering weekly specials on some models remaining in our 2014 inventory. To start off, this week the MVP will be available at 20% off. Currently, all sizes are in stock and ready to ship. If you are unfamiliar with the MVP, it is one of the most all- around skis in our lineup. Use the MVP as your do it all twin tip. "
    http://www.praxisskis.com/products/mvp.html
    Love mine
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

what size are you on vt-freeheel?
    how do they compare to the gpo's?

edit: I see 183's above.
    Aggressive in my own mind

With all of the skis I have owned and skied and if I was only able to keep one it would be my 193 MVP hand down... Plus if you are a repeat customer you get an additional 5% off... $508 is a smoking deal on a killer quiver of one ski...