Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Praxis MVP

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    for me (6'0" 165).
    Paypal'ing you $20. Get something to eat.

Medium medium stiff for me for Praxis.
    My 194 Freerides medium stiff are pretty burly.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Oh...re: carbon vs not. If you want a 1/2 lb lighter pair of skis that won't soften over time, go carbon. I have owned 3 pairs of praxi...I sold my woo tests because I didn't like them. My Mtn jibs and concepts will never be sold. I suspect you will feel similarly about the MVP...so I would go carbon. Flex longevity and weight savings are the benefits. Ski should handle 200 days of abuse, no problem. YouTube Kevin o'meara and watch the way he skis. MVP is his pro model for comp skiing.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I am interested as to why you believe a longevity difference exists? Ps. Wind turbine blades are made from glass fiber and have a 20+ year life span running 12+ hours a day.

I've got some 187 mid-stiff, carbon, all black top-sheets that I'd let go for 350.

Since I got the 192 GPO and I've been having a blast on the 187 Concept, and have many skis over 190cm, curiosity is killing this cat so the last pair of 187 MVPs I pick up tomorrow and are getting mounted at -2.0 .
    Last edited by Jim S; 03-13-2013 at 06:40 PM.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

187 MVP no carbon, medium stiff mounted on the dot with 916 Steels.
    me - 29, 135lbs, ski lots
    skis I like and own - 192 Salomon Rocker, 189 Bluehouse Maestro, 186 Rossi Sickle, 184 Blizzard Answers

I ended up trading these for the sickles. Although I have nothing but the best to say about the quality of these skis, I found the medium-stiff flex to stiff for me, pretty much only in the tail. I needed to ski at max power and speed all the time to keep them in control. Sometimes after working all night and skiing all day I would get too tired to do that and then Kicking Horse would get really scary fast. Perhaps if I was heavier, got the medium flex, or had a normal sleep pattern, I would have liked these more. They were realllly great at getting me down stuff at high rates of speed though just couldn't slow them down in the tight scary spots.

I just got some 183 carbons, medium stiff.
    Thinking of mounting back a bit? Any feedback.
    I'm a bit scared of all the 'too stiff' stories, but I'm hoping the 183's
    will be a bit more manageable...
    Thinking of mounting them up with dynafits for a BC
    charger ski...
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Per Keith: "The MVP is a more forward mount, its designed to be a more center mounted twin but you should be fine going back a few cm if it feels like a better stance to you."

I ski 183s and mounted on the dimple. Its all good now but definitely took getting used to. I'd personally like to try another mount -2 just for comparison.

Sfotex - right now, my touring setup is a thrice drilled 188 mtn jib. Already inserted for dynafit and solly, so those will likely become rock skis soon. I LOVE the way they tour and the versatility offered in that ski and the 193 carbon MVP is likely under 9 lbs...I didn't pull the trigger on those (because I wanted the GPO more, and couldn't justify all that overlap), but now I'm wish I had. I also think the longer length might bring a bit more traditional feel to a more center mounted ride.

But yes to touring on MVPs...Floaty, stable and maneuverable. Sort of deciding between 193 MVP and 120 Spoons for next season's tours...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1363315039.633307.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	134780

First day on glue and slush at Alpine Meadows and I'm glad I went back -2. Probably -3 or even -4 would be fine for me. Cool ski.
    Last edited by Jim S; 03-15-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1363315039.633307.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	134780

First day on glue and slush at Alpine Meadows and I'm glad I went back -2. -3 or even -4 would be fine for me. Cool ski.
    Any other details? I should have a pair arriving soon.

My old landlord is sellin a set of MVPs here in SLC if anyone is interested...

Has anone skied MVP's (or Mountain Jibs) and Blizzard Cochises? I have the 185 Cochises and 187 MVP's that i haven't had the chance to ski yet. I think I'll bring one of the two to Italy (Where I have family, and ski most years) and leave them there since the cost of flying with skis is now so absurd. I probably won't have a chance to ski the MVP's before I go.

I'm leaning toward the MVP's since I'll be touring as well as riding lifts, and they're lighter. But I'm concerned about the MVP's groomer performance. I'll spend a fair amount of time skiing groomers with my mother and I want a ski that can lock in and make giant slalom and super-G type turns when called upon. The Cochise are great at this. Are the MVP's up to the task?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Has anone skied MVP's (or Mountain Jibs) and Blizzard Cochises? I have the 185 Cochises and 187 MVP's that i haven't had the chance to ski yet. I think I'll bring one of the two to Italy (Where I have family, and ski most years) and leave them there since the cost of flying with skis is now so absurd. I probably won't have a chance to ski the MVP's before I go.

I'm leaning toward the MVP's since I'll be touring as well as riding lifts, and they're lighter. But I'm concerned about the MVP's groomer performance. I'll spend a fair amount of time skiing groomers with my mother and I want a ski that can lock in and make giant slalom and super-G type turns when called upon. The Cochise are great at this. Are the MVP's up to the task?

Thanks
    They are so easy to lay over and rip gs turns on. The low rocker begs to be skied Ligety style, with as much angulation as possible, to engage the maximum amount of edge.

Quote Originally Posted by ego7man View Post
    They are so easy to lay over and rip gs turns on. The low rocker begs to be skied Ligety style, with as much angulation as possible, to engage the maximum amount of edge.
    Where did you mount them? I'm thinking -1 or -2.

Spring skiing: corn, slush, soft bumps, firm. No pow.

fun playful ski that requires less effort than most skis
    very quick edge to edge
    great in trees and bumps
    solid edge hold (but railing GS turns goes to the Concept 187)
    quicker turning than the Concept 187
    Concept feels a little smoother in light crud

Bumping. Any more thoughts about the MVP after some more time on them?

Thinking about a 193 with a medium/medium-stiff (7-ish) flex.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Bumping. Any more thoughts about the MVP after some more time on them?

Thinking about a 193 with a medium/medium-stiff (7-ish) flex.
    No real life experience on this ski, but def looking for the feedback as well as I purchased the 193 MVP med/stiff in the pre-season sale and am so stoked for this ski... It is about time someone made a ski like this in a big boy size...!

For people picking up the 193 length, what's your height/weight? I'm 6'3" 168 and can't decide between 187 or 193. Would love any input. These are going to be skied at Squaw so I'll be able to open them up a bit.
    Man, skiing is the easy part.

"He does this, he says, because he can. I think there is a little more to it that that, however. I think he does it because he can, and you cannot." - PacRimRider1 about Leo Brayman

Quote Originally Posted by cmeriptahoe View Post
    For people picking up the 193 length, what's your height/weight? I'm 6'3" 168 and can't decide between 187 or 193. Would love any input. These are going to be skied at Squaw so I'll be able to open them up a bit.

6'4" and 205 lbs... Didn't even consder the 187 - as soon as Jim S stated a 193 was being built I knew it was a done deal... I have wanted a ski just like this one for a very long time, but typically they only come in a 185 as the biggest size... Since you are dealing with both tip and tail rocker I did not want to feel like I would be on ski blades... I think you could go with either size... At your weight though a notch below med/stiff might make more sense... Yous a skinny sum a biatch...!

Ya I could serve to bulk up a bit. I'll probably just bite the bullet and go long. Now that people know my specs and this being TGR don't think I could live with myself on the shorter option. Splitting the difference between med and med/stiff is a good call though.

Thanks for the reply.

"He does this, he says, because he can. I think there is a little more to it that that, however. I think he does it because he can, and you cannot." - PacRimRider1 about Leo Brayman

Quote Originally Posted by cmeriptahoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    6'4" and 205 lbs... Didn't even consder the 187 - as soon as Jim S stated a 193 was being built I knew it was a done deal... I have wanted a ski just like this one for a very long time, but typically they only come in a 185 as the biggest size... Since you are dealing with both tip and tail rocker I did not want to feel like I would be on ski blades... I think you could go with either size... At your weight though a notch below med/stiff might make more sense... Yous a skinny sum a biatch...!
    6'2" / 170 lbs. Keith felt the 193 with a 7 flex, between medium and medium/stiff, would fit the bill for myself. My goal is to find a resort ski that's a mix of the 190 '06 black Gotama and a 186 Legend Pro, throw in some tip and tail rocker with a waist around 110.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    6'2" / 170 lbs. Keith felt the 193 with a 7 flex, between medium and medium/stiff, would fit the bill for myself. My goal is to find a resort ski that's a mix of the 190 '06 black Gotama and a 186 Legend Pro, throw in some tip and tail rocker with a waist around 110.
    I think that's exactly what I'm going to go with. Loved the black Gotamas. Thanks.

If it helps, I'm 6'0" 165, ski mostly trees and I wouldn't even consider the 187. Not even average skiing skills for this place and still...SO much rocker (50cm tip and 42cm tail)...187s will feel like snow blades...

Wanted to thank everybody for their input here.

Had a few beers to loosen me up and pulled the trigger on some 193's w/ carbon in a 7 flex.

I could not be more pumped to spend pretty much every day available this season on these skis.