spook Guest

Rescue effort underway for man, dog on Mt. Hood

A rescue effort is underway for a man and his dog along Timberline Trail on Mt. Hood. The dog is reportedly injured.

The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office received a call at 3:40 p.m. that a male dog had gotten stuck on a cliff, said Adam Phillips, a spokesman for the sheriff's office.

The dog was injured after it fell down a slope, said David Lytle, public affairs manager for the Oregon Human Society. The humane society was alerted to the situation at about 4 p.m., Lytle said.

About 40 minutes after the first call, the situation became more dire. The dog's owner, going down the cliff to retrieve his dog, had gotten stuck himself, Phillips said.

Two human society volunteers are responding to the scene along with Clackamas County search and rescue teams, Lytle said. The society has received rescue calls involving dogs on Mt. Hood several times in the last few years, he said.

He added, "This case also happened to involve a human."

Phillips said the teams in place will be working under the pressure of the approaching nighttime.

"We are obviously going to be fighting daylight on this," Phillips said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamasc..._river_default

Vibes for the dog.

My GF had a similar situation, her pooch fell off a 60-foot cliff. Broke his pelvis and back. He made an amazing recovery. Dogs are tough mofos.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Looks like this story had a happy ending.

I try to only take my dog on mellow hikes as our SAR typically won't put team members at risk for a dog, although they sometimes make exceptions. I would hate to be in the position of having to leave my dog injured in some inaccessable spot on the side of some mountain.

I saw two guys looking for their dog on Bierstadt (14'er) the other day. I had seen the dog (a black and white border collie) on the summit and passed these guys on the way down; they were on the way back up. One guy kept calling "John Wayne!", "John Wayne!". I thought "man, that sucks!". I told them I had seen the dog at the Summit. About a half hour later the two guys came jogging by with John Wayne. I laughed; John Wayne was similar size and build with my border mix, Spartacus (my avatar). Two border collies with goofy names.

We had a call last week reporting a dog that had fallen off the sawtooth between Bierstadt and Evans that was injured, not killed, and one a week before for a man in his thirties who had fallen to his death.

Be careful out there; people and dogs!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Glad to see this turned out well! There's no way I could leave my dog either... It is crazy how adaptable dogs are though. We have a pup that almost lost his leg and cruises around with a limp. Still a happy dog!

The amount of dog rescues this year is redic... I blame the owners.

And WRONG FORUM, JONG!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Climbing, hunting, and other expeditions are always fun with a dog around, however, the risk of being stuck or encountering untoward incidents is much higher.

This is why, I seldom bring my dog along with me, even though I've got faith in my buddy. Simply couldn't stand the thought of anything happening to him.

For rescuers who go out of their way to save dogs in these areas, I take my hats off to you.