Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I am looking more along these lines, maybe lightly used in the $900-1k range.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1511567/

I feel like the whole 650b craze is a lot of hype. I've been on quite a few 650b bikes and didn't really notice much of a difference from my 26er, if anything some of them felt a lot more sluggish and didn't necessarily climb better.

I know the industry/marketing are trying to sell more bikes, but mega good deals can be found on 26ers right now just because of that. Everybody wants to "upgrade" to a 650b so used 26ers have lost some resale value as well.

WG- check out the new DT Swiss 650b offerings. I have these on my Bronson (I picked them up new-OEM from Pinkbike, they came stock on a Pivot Mach 6 carbon build). 1580g and they're really stiff too. They should be less than your $900-1000 budget.

http://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/MTB-Wh...E-sup-ONE-27-5

Great stuff Steve. Thanks.
    (though it doesn't make my decision any easier!!!)

Fucking stoked! The Faux Bronson-C weighs in at 26.9lbs with the heavy s1000 triple crankset/bash guard. Trail test after work today. But initial neighborhood test = tits. Tons of clearance front and rear with 2.3 high roller II up front and 2.2 ardent race in the back.

oh you've got an ardent race on there.....

I know sumbody wanna to talk to you
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

It is a nice looking bike.

I had a Blur LT 26" several years ago. I hated it. I tried a few bikes last year and realized I'd been missing out. I purchased a Giant Trance X29 0 last summer and, while not perfect, I'm much happier with it.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Nice conversion. Been toying around with doing the same to my LT.

As stated previously, Smmokan = too many bikes.
    You should have been here yesterday!

I know it's out of the budget but have you seen the new Nomad? I'm intrigued but man is it pricey!

The new Nomad looks sick. So far I am very pleased with my blur conversion. I am not pleased with my fitness level though. Still getting used to the taller stance of the bike when cornering. Loving it on the downhills and climbs. I dont have to be quite as picky about finding the smoothest lines both up and down as compared to 26" wheels.

A Highball Carbon for pure racing and my stable will be complete.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    As stated previously, Smmokan = too many bikes.
    I'm afraid there's no such thing as too many bikes. You should know that.

Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    I feel like the whole 650b craze is a lot of hype. I've been on quite a few 650b bikes and didn't really notice much of a difference from my 26er, if anything some of them felt a lot more sluggish and didn't necessarily climb better.

I know the industry/marketing are trying to sell more bikes, but mega good deals can be found on 26ers right now just because of that. Everybody wants to "upgrade" to a 650b so used 26ers have lost some resale value as well.
    As someone who just went to a 27.5 from a 26er, I have to disagree strongly with this. To me the 27.5 feels totally different - I really notice the larger wheel size in any kind of rolling terrain, it feels like I'm going faster for each pedal stroke than I was on my 26er. On steep climbs the rear wheel feels very stable and planted (though that might be due to the new bike's suspension design too). I don't notice the difference much on downhills; it feels maybe a little more stable/less flicky, though the difference there seems minimal enough that other factors (wider bars, different suspension) make more of a difference. But overall, I'm really liking it and feel like the larger wheels are a pretty major upgrade for me.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    As someone who just went to a 27.5 from a 26er, I have to disagree strongly with this. To me the 27.5 feels totally different - I really notice the larger wheel size in any kind of rolling terrain, it feels like I'm going faster for each pedal stroke than I was on my 26er. On steep climbs the rear wheel feels very stable and planted (though that might be due to the new bike's suspension design too). I don't notice the difference much on downhills; it feels maybe a little more stable/less flicky, though the difference there seems minimal enough that other factors (wider bars, different suspension) make more of a difference. But overall, I'm really liking it and feel like the larger wheels are a pretty major upgrade for me.
    since that covers every industry hyped point, it reads a lot like confirmation bias

I noticed all those cliches when I swapped frames from 08 Yeti 575 to 11 Turner 5Spot, except the "maybe a little ...less flicky". It was/is more stable than the 575, and no less "flicky," though I don't use that word as it's vague. Since I swapped nearly all the parts and ran the same wheels, and the wheels are 26" and didn't bump to 650B... well, then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Have you ridden a 29er? (serious question)

All the marketing lingo and what you describe IS true but 29ers are all of that but even moreso. Personally I can certainly see the benefit of 27.5s but there's a not so insignificant loss of maneuverability (flickitude). I really don't like it. And for a given tire design/casing and rim combo all that weight sits in a bigger radius and really doesn't redirect or accelerate as quickly since you're getting a bigger angular momentum to manipulate. I rode behind a buddy of mine (him on a 650 SC solo) with him on harder compound tires, a significantly lighter bike with slightly less travel, and very similarly matched riding styles/ability. In a straight line just soft to medium pedaling down hill, he would absolutely maintain momentum better than me over little sections of chop. But every time we'd get into successive pocketed corners or some quick whooped pumpable backsides, I'd about run his ass over. He said literally the inverse following me. I rode his bike for a few hours and pretty much could feel all those differences right away. Traction.....meh....tires make a bigger difference than those two wheel sizes.

I think a lot of the 'feel' of holding more speed and rolling faster everywhere comes from riding wheels with more angular momentum making it harder to turn quickly. It feels like you're moving faster because it's harder to redirect.

I don't think it's night and day or anything but no one ever talks about the areas where the bigger wheels are detriment. For me those specific areas are most of the reasons I like riding downhill on bikes. I'm actually getting kinda pissed that the wheel change isn't being offered as an option as much as an inevitability. Things are about to get stupid fitting bigger wheels into 8" travel frames over it too.

so yeah: "what you said" minus the obvious upgrade part
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

whooped pumpable backsides
    target-rich environment there.

but srsly, whooped out pumpable firm trails are optimized for whatever wheelsize predominated in the creation of them. as you know.

btw angular momentum is the product of moment of inertia and angular velocity. people sometimes forget that second part. at a given fwd velocity, ang velocity decreases as diam increases. bottom line is that the gyro effect of my 26er mavic 823 wheelset probably calculates out as greater, not less than, my LB rim 275er wheelset.

I'm in no rush to ride (let alone buy) a 275er DH bike, but I am curious to see if that gyro effect is noticeable for me. for a 400 g trailbike rim w/ sub 900 g tire, it hasn't been.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    target-rich environment there.

but srsly, whooped out pumpable firm trails are optimized for whatever wheelsize predominated in the creation of them. as you know.
    I'm not just talking about south shore sandy moto whoops . I'm not talking about things made by wheels.

See which you can generate more speed on at your typical pump traick......a 20", a 26" hardtail and a 29" hardtail.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    bottom line is that the gyro effect of my 26er mavic 823 wheelset probably calculates out as greater, not less than, my LB rim 275er wheelset.
    Srsly?. No way in hell I'm building more pinner wheels just because they're bigger. That makes no sense. Tit for tit and oranges to grapes and all that. Yeah I can have a lead bowling ball that has more gyroscopic effect than a beach ball but that's not an option. No beach ball wheels!

Have you seen that pivot dh 27.5 proto? They built their own saddle to keep the rear wheel from eating it so they could have sane chainstays. It's getting silly.

I just built up a SC Nickel with 27.5 wheels. I like it so far. I think it climbs pretty well, but I haven't been on a trail that's all that fast though, so I can't comment on how it turns. I just did it as an experiment though. Not sure I'd go out and drop a ton of money on a brand new 650b bike.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

All the marketing lingo and what you describe IS true but 29ers are all of that but even moreso. Personally I can certainly see the benefit of 27.5s but there's a not so insignificant loss of maneuverability (flickitude). I really don't like it. And for a given tire design/casing and rim combo all that weight sits in a bigger radius and really doesn't redirect or accelerate as quickly since you're getting a bigger angular momentum to manipulate. I rode behind a buddy of mine (him on a 650 SC solo) with him on harder compound tires, a significantly lighter bike with slightly less travel, and very similarly matched riding styles/ability. In a straight line just soft to medium pedaling down hill, he would absolutely maintain momentum better than me over little sections of chop. But every time we'd get into successive pocketed corners or some quick whooped pumpable backsides, I'd about run his ass over. He said literally the inverse following me. I rode his bike for a few hours and pretty much could feel all those differences right away. Traction.....meh....tires make a bigger difference than those two wheel sizes.

I think a lot of the 'feel' of holding more speed and rolling faster everywhere comes from riding wheels with more angular momentum making it harder to turn quickly. It feels like you're moving faster because it's harder to redirect.

I don't think it's night and day or anything but no one ever talks about the areas where the bigger wheels are detriment. For me those specific areas are most of the reasons I like riding downhill on bikes. I'm actually getting kinda pissed that the wheel change isn't being offered as an option as much as an inevitability. Things are about to get stupid fitting bigger wheels into 8" travel frames over it too.

EXACTLY my sentiment and thoughts.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

To be fair, I don't think I really used much marketing lingo in my description (flickability, maybe, but I can't think of a better word for the feeling that you can quickly redirect the bike and have it respond instantly). I have ridden a 29er and yeah, it does have the same characteristics and more so, but that's not really related to my point. My point is directed at people who say that 27.5 is not noticeably different from 26 - in my experience it is very noticeable, and not just because of marketing hype. A 29er is even more noticeable, of course, but that's not the issue here. I personally feel that the 27.5 is a good compromise to get some of the benefits of 29 while minimizing the downsides, at least for my riding style and where I ride. YMMV.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Oh for sure. I just mentioned marketing lingo because you pretty much echoed what most people selling 27.5 bikes make a point of conveying. I was just saying that it's true. (most of it at least, not the 'as nimble as a 26er BS')

And yeah of course the differences between the two are noticeable. I don't like it overall just because it compromises one of the more fun reasons I even ride bikes. Riding in a straight line is boring on big or small wheels.....I don't care which one is faster there. It's all about the swoop and swoosh!