Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone ride a Santa Cruz Blur LT?

I'm strongly thinking about getting a SC Blur LT and converting it to 650B for a killer "trail" bike... something that's super fun on the downhills but can also climb relatively well. Right now I have a 2011 Heckler (which I love) and a 2011 Trek HiFi Pro, which I'm not in love with at all. I'd be replacing the HiFi with the Blur, and potentially dumping the Heckler too if I liked it enough. Does anyone have experience on one, specifically out west in CO, MT, UT?

I'm riding an ltc out of Bozeman and really like it. Climbs like crazy! I've not had it for too long and am waiting on a proper shock, so I can give you a better opinion in a week or so. I'm also coming from an 04 enduro, so even the used o 10 components on the blur are a big upgrade for me. But I'm very pleased with it, 140mm seems a lot of travel for a lot of the trails around here, butit pedals as though it has much less, and rips the dh. Really confidence inspiring with no worries about hard hit durability. Wish I could be more helpful...

Three friends on LT's. All love the bike for XC/Trail riding, newer version really durable. (Tahoe)
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Wife has one (used to be mine) and she likes it. I think it is a 2007. I thought it was BORING to ride with a Talus 150. It was a fairly smooth descended and an OK climber but it just didn't like to be flicked or englished at all. The rider who likes to point and pedal will more than likely enjoy it. I'm pretty sure the newer versions are a bit different in geometry. I chalked it up to the VPP but I could be wrong.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

have you considered waiting a few months & getting one of the many 2013 truly-650b bikes that will be hitting the market? i.e. 650b bikes that will have clearance for large 650b tires (not the low-volume pacenti 2.35s) and a BB height where it should be for ripping the descents?

Just wait for the frames actually designed around 650 to come out like the Turner Burner or Scotts version. I ride Mojo HD and want to try 650 but I think it'll be a compromise and not quite right with geometry with a 26 to 27 conversion.

I have an ltc and love it. Great trail bike. Also a great light freeride bike. Unfortunately I have some friends who have had issues with the aluminum version but my carbon has been worry free for a full season of beating on it and I bought it used from the SC demo fleet.

I also have a blur ltc out here in Colorado for about a season and a half, long story short I really dig it for trail riding as long as you have a big bike for the dh stuff. I can answer specific questions if you want to pm me, right now I'm holding a crying baby that just pee'd on me.

Sent from my Desire HD using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    have you considered waiting a few months & getting one of the many 2013 truly-650b bikes that will be hitting the market? i.e. 650b bikes that will have clearance for large 650b tires (not the low-volume pacenti 2.35s) and a BB height where it should be for ripping the descents?
    I may... but I highly doubt any of the new bikes will be in my budget (~$2k). That's why I'm looking into used '09 or '10 Blur LTs to convert.

I have a very lightly used medium in Aspen, that I might be interested in selling?

I ride an XL blur lt here in Golden, BC. Climbs like a goat, descends like none other. Definitely a uber plush xc ride that can go up with the best of them. The best of them will be following you down though.

I am considering picking up one of these as well. I usually ride mediums frames but this I will need a large as the Blur LTs seem to have pretty short top tube lengths. It seems to be a close to perfect AM bike, just need to find a decent deal on a frame now.

Picking up an 07 from a friend soon. It was his spare bike and he is tuning it up now. Gonna make the trade next time he is up to VT. Excited as it sounds like a fun bike. It will be a nice step up from the mid90's barracuda that I have now.

I'm in Denver, ride all over the front range, western slope, and love my LT.

Just curious (looking at buying heckler soon). What are your issues with the heckler and what are you looking to improve with the blur? Is it simply climbing or something else? Thanks in advance.
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

^^^ Simply the climbing piece. I find myself doing more and more XC type rides, and I want something a little more suited towards that.

Picked up my "new to me blur lt" this past weekend. We met and I had my first ride at Pine Hill which is a fun flowy place. First full suspension bike and couldn't be happier. I am finding it an easier climber than my old hardtail. I thought I would be giving up some climbing power due to the suspension but that hasn't been the case. Much less spin out on the climbs. love the full suspension in the rocks and roots, very smooth.

Still floundering around though. Took a handle bar to the chest and I am growing a nice 3rd breast as the bruise grows. Not as nice as the total recall hooker though, it is all purple and yellow. Stupid slow speed crash as I was looking down to clip in and clipped a rock on the edge of the trail. Almost went over the bars last night riding with mrs flounder, again slow speed through a rock garden. Gotta go a bit faster....

Smmokan = too many bikes
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    Smmokan = too many bikes
    Two is too many? I even offered to let you use one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Two is too many? I even offered to let you use one of them...
    I know...just giving you crap
    You should have been here yesterday!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    smmokan, did you ever finish your conversion? If so was the change in wheel size worth it?

I spoiled myself by riding a sick 29er last week in AZ, and realizing that I can't afford a new bike I want to try to make my 2012 Blur LTc climb better. Its already a sick bike. Figure I can't lose by spending a G on a nice and light 650b wheelset.

Yea he did, then raved about it, then traded it out for a Bronson.
    And I'm dying to hear how they compare. I've been holding out for a good buy on a BLT. Hoping the word ain't that I should wait for (and save up for) a Brons.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    smmokan, did you ever finish your conversion? If so was the change in wheel size worth it?

I spoiled myself by riding a sick 29er last week in AZ, and realizing that I can't afford a new bike I want to try to make my 2012 Blur LTc climb better.
    Yep, I rode it all of last year with 650b wheels. It was a great bike- and to your last point, it was a much better climber (IMO) with 650b wheels than with 26" wheels. If I hadn't gotten a killer deal on a like-new Bronson over the winter, I'd still be riding it. If you read some of the posts over on MTBR, a lot of people say you need to shim the shock, blah blah blah. I never did, and I never had any clearance issues in the front or rear and I ran some pretty tall tires. It's a great conversion if you don't want to buy a whole new bike.

jm2e- as for a comparison: I think the Bronson is the better bike... but the BLT is no slouch either. I think they're fairly comparable as climbing bikes (the Bronson might have a tiny edge), but the Bronson wins hands-down on the descents. It reminds me of my old NomadC, from what I can tell. Keep in mind that I don't rip as hard as some of the guys on here, but I can keep up with most people so I'm not a newb either. I've got my Bronson (aluminum) frame built up relatively light so it's more on the "trail" side of Trail/AM, which is my preference. You can probably build up a Blur LT with 650b wheels for under $2k if you look around enough, whereas the Bronson is going to cost you closer to $2500-3000. FWIW, I sold my Blur LT for more than I bought my Bronson, so it was a worthwhile trade.

I rode the Bronson in Fruita this weekend for about 45 miles over the last couple days, and it was the perfect bike for everything I threw at it. The Blur LT would have been a blast too, but in my opinion the Bronson is just a hair more fun.

Blur LT:

Bronson:

Last edited by smmokan; 03-22-2014 at 07:49 PM.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Thanks for the response Steve. I just gotta find a 650b wheelset that is equal in weight or lighter than my current 26" wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Thanks for the response Steve. I just gotta find a 650b wheelset that is equal in weight or lighter than my current 26" wheels.
    Found it: http://www.enve.com/wheels/mountain/27XC.aspx