Killed a cheap table saw, would a better one be damaged??

killed a cheap crapy tire table saw cut syrofoam of all things. But was runing it continiously for 5 minutes as cutting 9 8x4 sheets into 14.5" wide sheets. Also thinking that dust might have gotten in to motor and melted and burnt it out somehow. Anyway it was a cheapie that actually has lasted a long time, 5-6 years. Do have a new Bosch table saw and have a lot more sheets to do. Should I just get out a box cutter and the dry wall T square and cut them by hand or its all good and the saw can take it?
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Hugh Conway Guest
    How much foam are you trying to cut? A t-square and a hand rip saw make short work, can't comment on whether or not it fucked up the saw or not.

About 200 cuts to go. And yes with expanded foam its pretty easy to cut with saw or utility knife score and break off.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

are you sure it's dead. If it overheated it would shut off and there might be a reset button on the motor.

Will have to try. I think problem was that foam dust which is very fine and light plugged up the air intake to the motor and tripped or burnt out the motor. Didn't smell to healthy when it died but maybe the over loads saved it.

Take a meter and see if the thermal is tripped. If it has not reset, bypass it and enjoy the saw until the motor really kicks it. If you want you could shop around for a new thermal. I doubt the motor failed ripping foam.

Why not make (or buy) a hot wire foam cutter? Cheap, and no dust.

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    Why not make (or buy) a hot wire foam cutter? Cheap, and no dust.
    This. Like a knife through butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Suppositories convinced me it was a good idea to wear a helmet.

I cut a boat load of foil faced foam insulation with a straight edge and a bread knife from the dollar store. Wasn't worried about straight cuts, it was attic insulation and I spray foamed to seal the edges.

Wear a mask no matter how you slice it.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by biff chalupa View Post
    This. Like a knife through butter.
    yeah, hot knifes are like $10 from harborfail

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    I cut a boat load of foil faced foam insulation with a straight edge and a bread knife from the dollar store. Wasn't worried about straight cuts, it was attic insulation and I spray foamed to seal the edges.

Wear a mask no matter how you slice it.
    This is insulating the underside of a floor so has to be pretty tight as don't want to get into screwing it in to place. Though using some adhesive would be ok. Table saw gave accurate and fast cuts. Problem also is that really only have access, full body , to first 2.5' of 6 ' lenght, rest is only ~4" below the joists. So have to bang it in with a 2x4 which works pretty well. Total floor area is 12' by 63' long or 756 sq ft.

I had great access in the ceiling. I would cut the sheets into 16" wide and then put one side against the rafter and pushed against the other rafter. I used the second rafter as a guide for the knife to trim it to fit. Worked well with different spacing on the rafters and the curves of the wood. Couple of cans of spray foam for any larger gaps and things are good.

Floor with limited access sucks! Good luck. You can get a pretty clean cut with a straight edge and the bread knife. Minimizes dust as well.

Doubt the foam hurt the table saw. I've cut loads of it the same way, although the comment about the fine dust could be accurate. not the best thing to have jamming up the exhaust port.
    As an aside, it can be helpful to cut the foam on a very slight bevel so as to allow easier installation.

It did start but didn't turn so it seems like enough dust got inside to rotating parts and melted that truely dead.

^^^Bummer

Check you starting capacitor if it is not rotating.

Find a used motor and a vacuum for the dust.