Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Poison Ivy Thread!

Hey, I did the right thing and did a search b/c I know there was a decent thread on this...but when stuff started coming up about ass rashes I gave up and decided to start one, simply titled.

I had QUITE the bout w/ poison ivy last summer. It lasted like 3 weeks and it was very miserable. Itchy, oozy, not fun. I've never had this type of reaction before and learned that sometimes it builds up in people over the years. Lucky me!

Anyway, I was out prepping this house for sale doing all kinds of yardwork and managed to pick it up again the other day. The place it always starts is on my wrist for some reason (wierd). I immediately hit it up w/alcohol (no, not a martini...good old rubbing alcohol though I did follow up w/ some beers--orally ingested though).

Today it was worse and I again hit it up w/ alcohol and some cortisone type itch spray. The stuff began to bubble up and looked like the bubbles were going to burst. I remembered seeing this poison ivy soap at the hardware store so I said what the heck and picked up a bar.

Let me tell you...this stuff is a MIRACLE. I washed w/ very hot water and the soap for like 5 minutes. It was a "hurts so good" type of feeling w/ the hot water and soap. Then I patted the area dry and within an hour the bumps were gone, itching nearly gone. I mean the relief has been about 80%.

I highly recommend this to anyone to try out. My poison ivy was terrible, this stuff is amazing. it's just called "poison ivy soap." Four bucks.

Sprite, your poison Ivy PSA maggette
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Question Ivy? Not Oak?

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite View Post
    ...I had QUITE the bout w/ poison ivy last summer...
    Hey SSprite. Do you really mean Poison Ivy? Are you sure you didn't mean Poison Oak?
    (Are you from Euroland?)
    EDIT: Ok, I see they are *basically* the same
    http://poisonivysoap.com/

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Tecnu is your friend. On a phone so you'll have to google it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ccard257 View Post
    Tecnu is your friend.
    this is the truth. we have tons of poison oak here, and without tecnu I would be a sad camper.
    also steer clear of the hot water. it opens pores and allows the spread easier.

poison oak/ivy/sumac is the misery.
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

PM Jer. He he's about to put the shit in his underwear apparently.

oak versus ivy is a regional thing,

though you can be immune to the rash of one and still get the other

Hm. Well Poison ivy, oak and sumac all contain urushiol, which is the agent that cause the reaction. Apparently there are slightly different forms of urusiol based on the source so I guess it's possible that you would react to say, ivy and not oak, but the compounds are so chemically similar that it's gotta be extremely rare for that to happen.

technu is so good that it will even work the next day.
    Dont use hot water,it opens your pores and makes it worse.
    I also get it on the wrist,usually from dog petting.thats because you cant get it on your palm.

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    technu is so good that it will even work the next day.
    Dont use hot water,it opens your pores and makes it worse.
    I also get it on the wrist,usually from dog petting.thats because you cant get it on your palm.
    Well, the soap helped for a day or so but I've had a horrible re-bound of the rash and it's spreading. Went and got the Technu extreme scrub and spray plus aveedo cream. this totally sucks! I never used to react this way, and could basically put poison ivy in a salad and would be fine. I read that the allergy builds up over time, and the reaction worsens. I also read that burning poison ivy can cause a terrible reaction in people like me who are very sensitive to it so I have to watch out re: inhaling it.

Cr@p!

Thanks for the recommendation hayduke, will let ya know if it works...praying it does because I'm ready to get a WIRE BRUSH and go to town on this rash. UGH!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the roids yet. Seriously, everything else is a joke compared to their effectiveness at combating the devilish urushiol. If you really want to show that shit who is boss, hit it with the 1,2 combo of Prednisone (steroids) and Hydroxyzine (antihistamine) and it will be nearly gone in less than 24 hours.

Also, frozen packs of vegetables kick ass. They are the only thing that saved me from cutting my feet off once after I got nuked by the scorpion weed in Death Valley which makes poision ivy and oak seem like a Tahitian vacation.

P.S. The soaps are great if you can get the oil off early enough, otherwise they are nearly worthless.

never heard of scorpion weed...nice to know that anywhere you go there will be some plant that fucks you up. tahoe was pretty tame for that stuff, but you could still find some nettle (not nearly as bad).
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

Timely thread as I have come down with a nasty reaction to the bushwhacking I did almost a week prior. 5-6 day incubation before serious breakout of splotches of inflammation on my calves and ankles - very itchy. Been treating with an OTC topical analgesic from CVS to treat the itchiness, but that does little or nothing to speed recovery.

Any thoughts on what can hurry this along without a prescription? I'm open to ayurvedic, eastern medicine, foods, plants, ointments, etc.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

jgb@etree Guest
    I don't know if it helps heal, but calamine lotion works well to stop the itching. Used to get it every fall as a kid from jumping in leaf piles, but fortunately have not had poison ivy in the past 20 years or so.

Unfortunately, my poison ivy slapped calamine lotion in the face and then kicked him in the nutz and went off laughing

Seriously thinking I may have to go the roid route but would rather not ingest it. Is it possible to slather on the prednisone? It tends to give me heart palpitations if I ingest it and scares the living crap outta me. Benadryl does this too...with a side benefit of uncontrollable shakes!

Sprite

Being that you are a repete offender on this poisen ivy thing I figure you would know about putting gasoline on the affected areas, it seemed to help when I would get that shit in Mn when I was a kid. I don't know why it seemed to help but it did.
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

I'm sure the gasoline felt good because it evaporates rapidly, thus feeling cool and drying out your skin.

But that doesn't seem like a wise idea.

I'm all about the Tecnu, but you have to get it on there fast.

the tecnu calamine lotion or whatever it's called works well.

Maybe extra strength Benedryl gel (do not take pill type while using), or tea tree oil . . . smells awful, but being touted for everything - good luck!!

Since my reaction showed up several days after exposure I am focused on shortening the irritation timeline. So far my research into home remedies suggests that oatmeal baths and rubbing a paste made of vinegar and backing soda directly on the affected area should help. I'm trying that tonight.

Last night I did cold compresses of a product called Domeburro - dissolve it in water, soak in towel, apply towel to skin. It felt good, and the irritation seems somewhat reduced today, but I'm far from cured. I took a Benadryl last night and woke up very itchy despite applying topical analgesics.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

I know that Technu works the next day from experience,but I have never delayed more than that.I still think it would neutralize the oils later,so I would always try it ,but it may not help the allergic reaction.I have taken steroids high dose with a rapid taper,but even that is not as good as using Technu ASAP.

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Would furious masturbation help?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

the reason gasoline works is that the solvent dissolves the oils and dries it out,

you probably could use salad dressing too since that will pick up the oils as well

One firefighter was airlifted off the High Park fire after breathing poison ivy smoke. I suggest not smoking poison ivy.

Unless you follow it up with gasoline huffing, I guess.
    Living vicariously through myself.