Can any PNW mags tell me bout the skiing in these parts?

I'm checking out some properties around here and wondering if its worth it, from a ski touring/ snow machining point of view? High Ridge Dr Marblemount, WA 98267

north cascades are amazing, lots of big peaks, lots of snow, lots of fun. Buy it.

Very close access to the cascade river and the north cascade highway. A sled would help in the winter. Marblemount is a shit hole, but maybe one of the most beautiful places ever. Great fishing around there too.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

I'm not sure- but I think winter access to the N. Cascades out of Marble Mount would be limited? The gate on hwy20 is closed way below snowline in the winter, I'm pretty sure any snomo access has to come from the east side. Snomo access up CRR would save some miles of walking to insanely beautiful terrain which is also very serious avalanche terrain.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I've searched around a bit, it seems like that area and around the road to Mt Baker are two of the best areas in the state to move to for touring, fishing, recreating... Any thoughts or spots I might have missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I'm not sure- but I think winter access to the N. Cascades out of Marble Mount would be limited? The gate on hwy20 is closed way below snowline in the winter, I'm pretty sure any snomo access has to come from the east side. Snomo access up CRR would save some miles of walking to insanely beautiful terrain which is also very serious avalanche terrain.
    This.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Marbelmount in the winter is a dank dark wet place surrounded by incredible mountains you can't see because of the weather, can't access because of the avy danger and 2000 ft of impenetrable rain forest between you and the snowline. You will sit in a funk regretting the fact that you are in the middle of bumfuck WA , miles from any good winter skiing access even by sled.
    There are much better places to consider buying a house if skiing and sled access is your goal.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

agree with the above.. long slogs for access in winter. it's an excellent place for spring/summer skiing, however

Access is easier and better around hwy 542. Close to a ski area, tons of sled access skiing and self powered touring. sweet mountain biking and great proximity for fishing. Plus you get to ride with hundreds of other bros doing the same you are.

I disagree with these tards. You could make it happen in marblemount. Its just a lot more work. Are you willing to start your tours right at or below snow line? Go at least five thousand vert a day and Break trail for yourself? Constantly? could you live in a town with no other skiers and the only restaurant being a fried food shack aptly named "good food"??

I could if i didn't have a girlfriend and a job.

If Marbelmount is on your radar, consider the charming mountain hamlet of Darrington which has better employment opportunities (a lumber yard) and cultural amenities (a video store with actual VHS tapes). Everyone will appreciate it when you put the boot pack up Whitehorse.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Marblemount's a good place to stop for a burger on the way home from the N. Cascades when the road's open, but I can't imagine living there.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

If Marblemount is tolerable you might consider Mazama. Good sled access skiing from that side and a lot better weather though it is overpriced IMO for where it is. That said you probably would need to be independently wealthy/ retired and not like to be around other people to live there
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Mazama is a sprawling metropolis compared to marblemount.

True but it is totally Isolated in the winter.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    True but it is totally Isolated in the winter.
    Its at the end of the road but not totally isolated by any means and has a big snomo access and winter touring scene (and some of the best XC skiing in the nation) not to mention the local heli-skiing company. Some of the finest granite in the state for climbing and the MTN biking is fantastic.
    When I eventually retire I'm seriously thinking of getting a place up there.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

So the key to the cascades is either being above 1000 feet on the west side or being in Mazama?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sneekyjesus View Post
    So the key to the cascades is either being above 1000 feet on the west side or being in Mazama?
    it's being on the east side - at least if you are transplanting for solely recreation

It really depends what, exactly, you want and what your price range is...

What kind of proximity to what size town you want/need, what type of terrain you are looking for and how hard you are willing to work for it, will this be a primary residence or vacation property, do you have kids that will need to go to school, Do you want reasonable access to lift served skiing, do you have a wife that will want some sort of civilization near by, etc, etc...?

If I could live anywhere in Washington, I think I would live near Leavenworth, but pretty much, from Canada to Oregon, east or west of the crest, the Cascades are going to provide touring, snowmobile, fishing, hiking, mtn biking, etc opportunities...

If you want remote and rustic, Mazama is your place.

Dude, are you very happily married? If not, move to where the women are. Marblemount? You're fucking, well....something.
    The rest of this thread is hilarious.

"He was trying to reach an even higher state of unconsciousness."
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I wasn't looking to move, just dreaming about vacation properties. Live on the east coast long enough and that's what you do. What asshole doesn't dream about owning some property with backcountry skiing from your doorstep?

What is this....s-n-o-w-m-a-c-h-i-n-i-n-g?

That being the case, I'd try to find something near Leavenworth. Access to all kinds of goods from there, Leavenworth's a fun tourist trap, Wenatchee's a decent-sized town about 1/2 hour away, and 2-1/2 hours from Seattle.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.