Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    No they are not getting there, as evident by what is not available on Netflix Watch Instantly.
    Would it be better if there was absolutely nothing there instead? Media industry types are morons, but they're getting dragged in to the future, even if it's a slow and herky-jerky process.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

herky-jerky?
    More like fighting tooth and nail.
    No, shit comes and goes on Watch Instantly, and lately it seems like a lot more going.
    They are obsessed with scheduled TV which is 99% garbage and selling movies on plastic disks, which are again, mostly 99% garbage.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

herky-jerky?
    More like fighting tooth and nail.
    No, shit comes and goes on Watch Instantly, and lately it seems like a lot more going.
    They are obsessed with scheduled TV which is 99% garbage and selling movies on plastic disks, which are again, mostly 99% garbage.
    You're saying the same thing I did, just in a more argumentative and douchey manner.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Back to some possible solutions for TV. This is just out and could be a possible solution to all the non-smart TV owners out there. Pocket TV based on Android OS http://www.thegeeksclub.com/pocket-t...cs-tv-smart-tv

Really important question:
    So where can I stream the last couple seasons of Weeds and Breaking Bad?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Netflix has them on discs but I have no idea where you can stream them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    You're saying the same thing I did, just in a more argumentative and douchey manner.
    No, I'm saying it like it is.
    No longer stuck.

You can stream both on netflix.

Weeds through season 6
    BB through season 3
    Last edited by DJSapp; 06-19-2012 at 03:42 PM.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

How's OTA HDTV in the US? Here in Big City, Canadia a simple aerial plugged into a Hauppage tuner card gives me 7 HDTV channels, including all the big network equivalents. For everything else there's pirating (not that I watch much).

OTA digital HDTV is the best

Torrents if they aren't on Netflix, but Weeds really went downhill in the last couple seasons. Breaking Bad just keeps getting better, of course.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    How's OTA HDTV in the US? Here in Big City, Canadia a simple aerial plugged into a Hauppage tuner card gives me 7 HDTV channels, including all the big network equivalents. For everything else there's pirating (not that I watch much).

OTA digital HDTV is the best
    It's outstanding in Denver. I've been sans-cable for 6 or 7 years now and don't miss it a bit.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

splat.., i get cable tv shows from my local library, what they don't stock i can get from interlibrary loan.. and it's all free.. season 4 of BB is in stores now, should be in my local library in a few weeks.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    It's outstanding in Denver. I've been sans-cable for 6 or 7 years now and don't miss it a bit.
    denver looks quite good indeed: http://buyinghdtv.com/html/denver_lo...els_in_hd.html

my non-digital cable has been steadily deteriorating over the past two years as they want to re-sign everyone for digital (and subsequently introduce caps on internet traffic). it's now to the point where I can watch the canadian grand prix streamed from canada to europe (satellite) and back to canada (internet) at a higher quality than my local standard-def tv...

i think cable will be dead in 5 years, maybe 10.

Depends on where you live.
    Also been my experience that lots of mountains around (or something) seems to mess with the signal. Or at least the signal isn't as strong. Picture is crystal clear though. This was when I worked at a Radio Shack in Bozeman, and a lot of people seemed to be losing their picture when they when digital.

It's confusing, but I think they did that intentionally, but:

Digital has nothing to do with HD.
    You can have digital without HD, like a DVD (DVD's are standard def, 480)
    and you can have HD without digital, like a lot of sports and stuff was before digital, and I bet a lot of cable still is analog somewhere in the line between the TV network, your cable network, your cable box and your TV. Probably less so every day.
    No longer stuck.

Apple TV

Apple TV question. If I'm streaming video from any random website, can I watch it on a TV by using the "Airplay Mirroring"?

If I had the apple TV connected with the HDMI cable through a receiver (receiver connected to the TV), could I connect the laptop via Apple TV, view the video on the TV & play the sound though the receiver/speaker system?

I know the nicer way would be to get a Mac mini w' wireless keyboard, but we have 2 Apple laptops in the house already & don't want to spring for a new computer just now.

Edit:
    Current plan is to pick up a home theatre receiver w' a couple small bookshelf speakers. This will be just for music initially. As time goes on I plan on adding a TV, sub & surround speakers, maybe speakers on the deck via the 2nd zone.
    I want a decent music system now but am trying to keep initial cost down. Also don't want to annoy the neighbors downstairs with a thumping sub.
    Last edited by jamesp; 02-18-2013 at 02:12 PM.

bump... none of you nerds are surfing TGR on the TV? I don't even get heckled?

my experience w/Airplay is limited to music and videos. Not sure if it will mirror browsing/webpages, but i have no macbooks...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Apple TV question. If I'm streaming video from any random website, can I watch it on a TV by using the "Airplay Mirroring"?

If I had the apple TV connected with the HDMI cable through a receiver (receiver connected to the TV), could I connect the laptop via Apple TV, view the video on the TV & play the sound though the receiver/speaker system?

I know the nicer way would be to get a Mac mini w' wireless keyboard, but we have 2 Apple laptops in the house already & don't want to spring for a new computer just now.

Edit:
    Current plan is to pick up a home theatre receiver w' a couple small bookshelf speakers. This will be just for music initially. As time goes on I plan on adding a TV, sub & surround speakers, maybe speakers on the deck via the 2nd zone.
    I want a decent music system now but am trying to keep initial cost down. Also don't want to annoy the neighbors downstairs with a thumping sub.
    My understanding is that this is exactly how Airplay Mirroring works, so yes. Whatever's on your laptop screen will be "mirrored" on the TV attached to your Apple TV, and audio from your laptop will play through whatever home theater system is plugged into your Apple TV.

The catch is that you have to have a Mac laptop that's compatible with Mirroring, which as I understand it means that you have to have a mid-2011 or later Macbook. Apple's website has the full specs required. I don't have that yet, so I haven't personally tried it - waiting until I have a more practical reason to replace my 2006 Macbook Pro to upgrade. As soon as I do, though, I'm looking forward to using Mirroring.

Edit: if you're looking for a budget surround speaker setup to go with your receiver, check this one out. You're certainly not going to get anything cheaper than that, and the reviews all say that it's pretty extraordinary for the price.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

ok thanks, I didn't see that info on the apple site. Guess I won't be rushing to get apple TV, my macbook is also older & I won't be upgrading just so I can wireless connect to a TV. I've found a good price on a Yamaha receiver that has Airplay so I can play music sans cords at least (which is all it will be used for now anyways).

Still inclined to grab small bookshelf speakers though. A sub will mean annoying the neighbours, the basement suite downstairs is not sound insulated at all. Sub can wait till we have our own place.

For your amusement: I recently built a 7'x4'x2' cabinet out of $1000 worth of wenge to hold my DVD's, CD's, and VHS tapes (there are also a few drawers with placemats and napkins--you can't stream those yet). Like I said, for your amusement.

Google Chromecast works really well for me, especially only costing $30 off Amazon. You can stream anything you have open in a Chrome browser and can connects directly through your WiFi. I've also be able to drag video files off my local & external hard drives into a Chrome tab and stream video that way. Highly recommended.

Recent comparison of devices including Amazon's new FireTV and Google's Chromecast which have come out since this thread started was done by Kim Komando (she does a technology Radio show) discussing features and what works best for different sources (Netflix, Hula, Amazon, ITunes, etc.)

http://www.komando.com/buying-guides...ming-video-2/2