Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Internets on my TV?

I'm looking at hooking my TV up to the web since we just ditched cable. Just don't watch 99% of the channels.

So I was thinking about just getting a PS3 since it'll play blue ray too. I'm not much of a gamer but it could be fun playing some shoot 'em up games every once in a while.

I also considered just getting the plug in for the TV that costs about $80 (I have a Samsung smart TV). This is a cheaper option for sure but I'm unsure of how well they work, anyone have any experience with these?

Are there any other options that I should look into?

Secondly, for those of you who are steaming shows and such to your TV, what are some good sites for this. I know Hulu, Vudu, Netflix (already a subscriber), and ESPN does some, but what else am I missing?

Why not buy an old computer, hook it up to the tv and have better access and hard drive storage? It doesn't take much oomph to run an internet browser full screen.

Hulu Plus is terrible. Thais reminds me that I have to cancel my subscription.

I just went through this. Install XBMC on a computer and hook it up. Install the 'free cable' add on - it pulls all the shows available from official websites that you can stream, and makes it easy to navigate. Works flawlessly. Add a remote app on your phone (gmote / xbmc remote) and it's perfect.

They make some sweet low-power, low-profile dedicated computers for this that are about the size of a router for ~$300, but any old computer will do. I"m using one of my laptops, just plug in the hdmi when i feel like watching tv.

Enjoy.
    If you are driving to Jay Peak this evening, please drive carefully you bad ass.

Oh, and regarding the plug in boxes that enable netflix, etc - i've used a few, and they work, but they're all slow and glitchy. It's a cheap solution that works, but not 100%.
    If you are driving to Jay Peak this evening, please drive carefully you bad ass.

I like my apple TV a lot. Especially since they have movies and tv shows in the cloud. I don't mind paying for my favorites though. Season 3 of archer!!!. I hook up my mac mini sometimes to watch soccer, but otherwise I wouldn't want to mess with the computer just to turn on a show. Anyways...
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Quote Originally Posted by C.O. Jones View Post
    Oh, and regarding the plug in boxes that enable netflix, etc - i've used a few, and they work, but they're all slow and glitchy. It's a cheap solution that works, but not 100%.
    My Roku box works great. If you're only concerned with streaming (nextflix, pandora, etc) and not surfing the net, I'd go for that. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I picked up a Roku 1080p box off of Woot for about $50 a few weeks back, and it definitely does a great job streaming Netflix and Amazon Instant Video (I have a "prime" subscription, so I get those for free). I bought it hoping to find Czech-language content, and haven't found any yet, so it's been a bust from that perspective, but I've started using it instead of my Xbox to watch Netflix stuff.

Anyone have a recommendation for a set up that would combine basic cable channels with a DVR function and some kind of roku/hulu/netflix service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I have a Boxee Box and love it. Really is a powerhouse of a player for your own personal stash, and it has a ton of online content available. I've also heard good things about the Rokus.

And yeah, the PS3's a great way to go, too. Love the blu-ray/game capability, and internet connectivity. Also, it's dvd upsampling is the best I've seen on any player. It's also great now that they've added Amazon Prime.

Between my PS3, my Boxee Box, my PC, and a Netflix/Hulu/Amazon subscription, I haven't missed cable tv in the almost 7 or 8 years I've been without it.

And while you're at it, it's highly worth investing in a Blu-Ray rom for your pc, and learn about RipBot264, Handbrake, and the mkv format. I've converted my entire blu-ray and dvd library, and it all fits on a little black external hard drive smaller than a vhs tape. My wife loves not having any more clutter when it comes to movies. That's where the Boxee Box comes into play. It plays them back perfectly with full 1080p and surround sound. Gets you all the info for the movies, too!

Check it out... http://www.boxee.tv/
    They just came out with this nifty little add-on, too... http://www.boxee.tv/live

^^^ yep, I've ripped all my old dvds with handbrake and stream them through iTunes. Love getting rid of the clutter. My favorite thing about the apple tv is using airplay to stream from the pbs app. Get recent frontlines, american experience and a lot more. I'm so happy to be commercial free most of all.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

I have an older mac that acts as a music (SlimServer) and media (PLEX) server. PLEX (which is based on XBMC and optimized for macs) has a Roku channel you can install, which works well for me since I don't have my media server in the same room as my TV.

I was originally thinking about going with a Mac Mini for my multimedia needs. Seemed like the perfect format, but then I learned that OSX absolutely does not support DTS-HD, Dolby True HD output. Oh, the hardware is MORE than capable of it, but Apple doesn't allow those formats for whatever reason. Was also thinking about Apple TV, but it doesn't even support DTS at all, 1080p video at the time (Apple TV 3 does, though), and didn't support mkv/divx/xvid files, which was a major dealbreaker for me.

If you care about DTS surround sound (or any of the newer lossless, uncompressed formats), or full file compatibility without having to convert everything and use AirPlay (which does rock, btw), then I'd steer clear of Apple TV. I also didn't like the thought of being tethered to iTunes, either. However, if you don't care about those things, and want something that works well and simply, then the Apple TV's not a bad option. WAAYYYY too limited for my usage, though.

Good stuff, Austin. Thanks for the info! Would love to get rid of the stupid movie cases and clutter.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Like you I don't have cable.

I use a Mac mini and a wireless keyboard with a trackball. Could not be happier.

I also have a ps3 but the Mac is way easier to use to stream.

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Good stuff, Austin. Thanks for the info! Would love to get rid of the stupid movie cases and clutter.
    No prob. This guide should get you started. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea..._them_anywhere
    The conversion software's free, but you'll need to invest in some good ripping software. I bought the lifetime license for SlySoft's AnyDVD HD. A solid program with excellent support and constant updates. It's not cheap at 119 euros, but it's been worth it's weight in gold. Will strip the copy protection from pretty much any disc you can throw at it. http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html
    Also, on newegg.com, you can grab a bd-rom for around $50. $70 for the burner like mine (nice for making blu-ray home videos!)

That guide may actually make the process look much more daunting than it actually is. Too bad you're not around here or I could walk you through the process in a couple minutes. Once you've learned how to convert one disc, the rest are really easy, and you can blast through your dvd/blu-ray collection pretty quickly.

What's also nice is that once you convert them disc to file, they're really easy to convert to a compatible format you can throw onto your ipod/smart phone/tablet, whatever. Handbrake has presets that match your video up to the resolution of the device you want to use it on. Works like a champ!

I like to do everything in mkv format (really just a container). Makes it easy to keep original dts audio, multiple language tracks, and multiple selectable subtitle tracks. Apple's stuck on mp4 for some reason. It's not bad (you can get superb video and audio from it), but just like their products, it's kind of restrictive. You'd be impressed by my blu-ray rips. Pretty much indistinguishable from the originals.

PM me if you ever have any questions about some of the specifics.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Other choice is an internet enabled blu-ray player. Have a sony that works well with regular service additions. amazon, netflix, ton of other choices too.

There is a thread about dropping cable and some streaming options already on here give a search for it.

Veebeam if you do not need a stand alone box and have a computer, Roku (and other streaming boxes like it now from many other companies like Boxee, RCA, Western Digital TV Live, as mentioned by others, a computer with hdmi video output, Logitech Revue w Google TV or Sony Internet TV Blu-Ray, Apple TV.

Hook an hdmi cable up to your tv to the computer.
    Put a bluray drive in your computer if you still watch movies on plastic discs.
    If you still watch movies on plastic discs, AND you only have a laptop which can't be upgraded to a bluray player, well, maybe you can get an external drive? IDK, that's why I still don't have a laptop.
    If it's not streaming on Netflix, you can probably finding somewhere the day after release. Make sure all your virus protection is up to date and you have an ad blocker in you browser.
    hit up alluc.org or tv-links.eu
    Watch a commercial after not having tv for a long time and you'll realize how awful and schizophrenic and fucked up tv is. It really freaks me out.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Hook an hdmi cable up to your tv to the computer.
    Put a bluray drive in your computer if you still watch movies on plastic discs.
    If you still watch movies on plastic discs, AND you only have a laptop which can't be upgraded to a bluray player, well, maybe you can get an external drive? IDK, that's why I still don't have a laptop.
    If it's not streaming on Netflix, you can probably finding somewhere the day after release. Make sure all your virus protection is up to date and you have an ad blocker in you browser.
    hit up alluc.org or tv-links.eu
    Watch a commercial after not having tv for a long time and you'll realize how awful and schizophrenic and fucked up tv is. It really freaks me out.
    For Blu-ray in a computer, most times you are also talking about Blu-ray compatible and ready video card.... HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), which is Blu-ray’s integrated copy protection technology. So it is not just stick a drive in the computer and problem solved.

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...rticleID=59581 has a discussion and a software package that you can download and run to test your computer hardware.

Interesting, maybe soon the media industry will realize it's not in the business of selling plastic disks.

Sent from my cell phone. no, a cell phone.
    No longer stuck.

Interesting, maybe soon the media industry will realize it's not in the business of selling plastic disks.
    They're getting there. The RIAA was a decade behind the curve, I imagine the MPAA will follow soon enough.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

No they are not getting there, as evident by what is not available on Netflix Watch Instantly.
    No longer stuck.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    They're getting there. The RIAA was a decade behind the curve, I imagine the MPAA will follow soon enough.
    they keep stepping backwards. Cheaper to rent a new movie from redbox than (legally) download it. Idiots

This is why I enjoy both streaming AND my disc-to-file conversions.