Images from the South Carolina Lowcountry

Since my parents live between Charleston and Savannah, I'm lucky enough to have a pretty sweet vacation spot each year. I visited them last week and although the weather wasn't ideal for photography, I was still able to see some new places around town to capture. Here are a few shots from the trip:

An old plantation road outside of town:

An Angel Oak, several hundred years old and truly amazing to see in person:

And finally, an aging "lookout" dock in my parents' neighborhood overlooking the Coosaw River. The sunsets from this spot have been outstanding.

What an incredible tree. Cool pic.

From Wiki:
    It is estimated to be in excess of 1500 years old...and shades with its crown an area of 17,000 square feet...The Angel Oak is thought to be one of the oldest living organisms east of the Mississippi River

Pointed- this isn't THE Angel Oak... that's actually on John's Island near Charleston. Angel Oak is a generic term given to any of the old oaks that have branches that touch the ground. This one is around 300-400 years old.

ah. way cool none the less.

Great pictures! I love the old trees. Love that first one. The BW is very nice, but I'm diggin' the color in these. There are some great old trees down the way from me in this little village. One of these days I'll remember the camera when I take the twins for a walk that way.