Which pants would you recommend Arcteryx Beta AR or Sabre?

Looking at a pair of snowboard pants for next winter fir resort riding an maybe some backcountry. Which pants would be a better choice Beta AR or Sabre? I understand the sabre is a more relax fix vs beta AR more athletic and has full zip. Also what's the take on Softshell vs hard-shell Goretex between these two. I'll be pairing it with a new Beta AR jacket.

Two seasons in the Sabre mostly resort, and a little touring. I really love them. Never had an issue with wind or water on storm days, I'm northeast so for the most part our temps are colder and drier. In the spring the softshell is really comfy with just a pair of boxers, and has great zips for touring.

there's so many Gore 'soft shell' materials. For these and their Stingray jackets and pants it's the fully waterproof softshell...so the 'softshell' is really just referring to the fact that the shell has a softer hand than their hard shells.

It's marginally heavier and has a very slightly 'brushed' inner layer rather than the smooth inner layer of the Beta.

I've used a few Arc jackets and pants over the last decade and I really think that unless you're using these for touring, the softshell stuff is great. It's my favorite for the resort. That little bit of brushing on the interior adds a surprising degree of insulation but not so much you'll overheat relative to the Betas. Even without zips I find the pants fine over a large range of temperatures at the resort. It's up top where I need to dump heat on occasion.

I'd say the Sabre's FTW unless you need them for touring as well.

Thanks for the input guys. What's the take on having a full zip of the beta vs. the half side zips on the sabre?

A full zip just means putting them on and taking them off is possible without taking your boots off or anything else (not really necessary at the resort...or maybe it is?). Side zips on Sabre (did not even know they had them) are for dumping heat.

I use the sabres for skiing but wouldnt use them for mountaineering. The beta you can use for both. If you plan on doing any climbing and cant afford both I would definitely look at the Betas.

Quote Originally Posted by josef View Post
    I use the sabres for skiing but wouldnt use them for mountaineering. The beta you can use for both. If you plan on doing any climbing and cant afford both I would definitely look at the Betas.
    I mainly would use for resort riding but do like the flexibility if using it for occasional hiking or camping when it rains. Does the beta fit much slimmer then sabre? Would it be problem fitting snowboard boots over the leg cuffs, I know it can be unzipped but would the cuffs of the beta be too tight when fully zipped and buttoned down to accommodate snowboard boots ? I had a chance to try in the sabre with my board boots and the cuffs on the sabre is pretty wide.

They are definitely more snug than the sabre. I know they fit over ski boots fine. Your best bet is to see if you can try them on somewhere or order from bc and return or exchange them if they don't work. Luckily it's summer and you probably have more time to mess around with it. That said I would buy a cheap light weight set of rain pants from rei before taking my sabres out on a camping trip. They are fairly baggy for that type of work.

Quote Originally Posted by josef View Post
    They are definitely more snug than the sabre. I know they fit over ski boots fine. Your best bet is to see if you can try them on somewhere or order from bc and return or exchange them if they don't work. Luckily it's summer and you probably have more time to mess around with it. That said I would buy a cheap light weight set of rain pants from rei before taking my sabres out on a camping trip. They are fairly baggy for that type of work.
    Now that it's summer there is some really good deals on a pair of the sabre in my size. I guess for what I use it for the sabre might be the option. I hope it works will with the beta AR jacket I purchased.

anyone use the Mako or Ventii pants?

Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    anyone use the Mako or Ventii pants?
    I have the mako pants. Super nice. Usually wear them with some shorts and thats it. The venting is good. As far as lift serve goes, they probably can't be beat. Not sure I would want to tour in them though. Probably be hot as balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Spartan View Post
    I have the mako pants. Super nice. Usually wear them with some shorts and thats it. The venting is good. As far as lift serve goes, they probably can't be beat. Not sure I would want to tour in them though. Probably be hot as balls.
    hmm.. darn. 70% of the time I'll be in snow pits but the other 30% I'll be touring.. I currently have insulated pants though and I'm happy wearing just boxers under them for a touring day. Are they fairly baggy?

Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    hmm.. darn. 70% of the time I'll be in snow pits but the other 30% I'll be touring.. I currently have insulated pants though and I'm happy wearing just boxers under them for a touring day. Are they fairly baggy?
    Yep. Not long T steeze baggy, but also not european spandex either.