Dubrovnik (Croatia) beta

Heading to Yurp for work next week, and will be making a short weekend side-trip to Dubrovnik. Arriving on a Saturday midday, leaving Monday morning, so have a day and a half available. Staying in Old Town, no car. Planning on exploring Old Town, mainly interested in photography and history.

Things that I'm planning to do:
    - Walk the Old Town walls
    - Walk up to Mount Srd (looks like great views of the town)
    - Walk along Fran Supila for shots of Old Town (thinking around sunrise)

Anything else? Any not-to-miss sights, places, restaurants, etc.? Any great/secret photographic spots?
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

I don't know any further info but am heading there the first week in September. Can't wait to hear how it is and see your pics.

Yep, I'll be following this thread (and your upcoming pic TR) since this is on the list of vacation spots for the next couple of years.

The water is cold there even when it 102 and humid that water was chilly refreshing. The beaches outside the city walls are all rock plateaus and pretty easy access. Food is cheap retail goods are not. I was only there 3 days but you could meander around the old city for a week and not get bored. Tiny side street restaurants, hiking along the walls , lots of cliff jumping as well. Photog opportunities abound every where, the entire place is worthy of photos. Wish I could offer more but we just drank, ate, walked the old city and swam. We did not leave the old city. Enjoy it! You would be hard pressed to find a more visually appealing european style old city center.

thin cover -- thanks for the info. Since I just got back from a week at the beach, I'll probably skip the swimming and explore the city. Good to know Old Town has lots of nooks and crannies.

hev, smmokan -- definitely hoping to get some shots and share.

Eat tons of lamb and cevapcici.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Drink Slivovitz.

we rented a boat while we were there, and it was definitely a huge highlight of our 3.5 month europe trip. Something to be done with multiple people though. I believe it was around 100 CAD for the day all included.

Deep beer was around $7 for 4 2-L bottles in a market and tastes like granville island lager.

Hard to see below, but in the bottom left, all the locals are diving off the rocks into the water. Not sure how to get there but I'm sure you could figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Eat tons of lamb and cevapcici.
    Mmm, I love stuff like kebabs, gyros, sausages, especially if they're lamb, so I'll definitely be sampling a few...or many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    Drink Slivovitz.
    Looks interesting. I usually look up at least a little bit of the place I'm going to (history, culture, food, people, etc.), but haven't had time to do that about Dubrovnik at all, so this is all good.
    Quote Originally Posted by endure
    we rented a boat while we were there,...
    ...all the locals are diving off the rocks...
    While a boat trip sounds/looks great, don't think I'll do it with only a day and a half. The diving scene looks interesting -- will have to explore it, if at least for some pictures.

The only place in the world where the nude beaches are actually filled with young beautiful women. Not fat swinger old people.

If you watch Game of Thrones, a lot of the area is going to seem very familiar. Tip: when the cruise ships come in, get out of town for a few hours until they're gone.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    If you watch Game of Thrones, a lot of the area is going to seem very familiar. Tip: when the cruise ships come in, get out of town for a few hours until they're gone.
    Yes, do watch Game of Thrones; didn't know it was shot around there. Thanks for the tip about the cruise ships -- that may be a good time to hike up to the Mount Srd fortress.

Bobby Stainless Guest
    Buy a neck tie, as I think they originated there.

Hookers steal cell phones...(from a friend)

Been there a couple of times awesome place. We asked a cab driver to take a to a place he'd take his friends to eat had some of the best seafood and wine ever
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    We asked a cab driver to take a to a place he'd take his friends to eat had some of the best seafood and wine ever
    A good tip anywhere. If on an expense account I ask them where they'd go for a special occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Drink Slivovitz.
    You, sir, are evil. Still...when in Rome... No slav experience would be complete without getting violently drunk on slivovitz.

However, kruskovac is pretty damn good. Especially when you mix it with 7-up or something similar.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

The best are the home-made ones...