Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Gman is offline Mack Master William Large

SRAM XX1, Thoughts?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/sram-xx...irst-look.html

Interesting concept but I'm not sure how necessary it is. Seems like plenty of people are running 1x10 with an acceptable ratio. Kinda hate how the biking industry keeps telling people "we thought we had it last time, but this is definitely what you need this time."

I'll be interested to see if it takes off or if it makes some of the preexisting stuff cheaper.

11 speed cassette? Jeez I just upgraded to 10 speed. I'm curious to see how this would performs better compared to a standard XX converted to a 1 x 10. Seems like SRAM is splitting hairs here.

I'm sure SRAM is confident all those weight weenie XC types will love have more gear ratios and still be able to save weight with no front derailleur, extra chainring, etc.

I won't be happy until I have 20 gears on a cassette and my chain sits at a 90 degree angle at the ends.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

"What we do is if we need that extra...push over the cliff...you know what we do? Put it to 11."

"I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

They should probably focus on making the 10 speed chains and cassettes last more than half as long as the 9 speed did before they go after 11. You can only thin materials out so much if you are riding in gritty conditions, whether wet or dry, before drivetrain lifespan goes to shit. I can see where it could be okay in a XC racing format where the extra gearing cold be helpful and meticulous cleaning after racing and regular parts replacement is involved.

The cassette range they are speaking of does sound great for the riding I do but I think real world use won't make it very viable. Strange that SRAM put all the money into their new Red road group and didn't think that was worth going higher than 10 speeds.

Even more strange to me is that if people are going to be spending money at all, they are still chasing around ways to make derailleurs work.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I was racing XC for a few months last year on a 1x10 setup and there were definitely times on steep sections of long ass races where I found myself reaching down to try and find another gear...so an extra cog back there might have been nice. But I eventually just went back to SS though and that solved my problem.

I played around with a cross bike this weekend decked out with Ultegra Di2 electronic shifting. Holy shit is that nice. And works no matter the conditions (mud, etc.). I would love to see that on a MTB.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    "What we do is if we need that extra...push over the cliff...you know what we do? Put it to 11."

the last line in that video applies perfectly to this discussion.

'but these go to 11'.

people will be all over this, cause it is '1 more'.

I found 2 x 10 to give me no advantage for trail riding.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Why 11? Why not a really wide 1x10?

As long as you're not doing really long steep climbs 1x10 is fine, plenty of people do that, and making the range bigger only helps. Now if they could make the range something like 9-40 on the rear with something like 32 on the front, I bet you could could match the gear ratios of most of a 2x10. Can't get a 9 tooth cog a standard hub though...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I played around with a cross bike this weekend decked out with Ultegra Di2 electronic shifting. Holy shit is that nice. And works no matter the conditions (mud, etc.). I would love to see that on a MTB.
    XTR prototypes are already out there, I'm hopin they might get an XT version out in a couple years then I might consider going to a 10 speed system. By that time hopefully any bugs with the electric stuff will be dialled in and prices will have dropped a bit.

i think this is awesome.

its funny how everyone bitches about too many cogs and the back....hey! you get rid of a front ring and ALL front shifting BS. i can handle an extra cog in the back to delete that shit and still have the same gear range

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    XTR prototypes are already out there, I'm hopin they might get an XT version out in a couple years then I might consider going to a 10 speed system. By that time hopefully any bugs with the electric stuff will be dialled in and prices will have dropped a bit.
    its inevitable that shimano will have electric for MTB. while it is sweet for road, seems like a terrible idea for mountain. how stoked are you going to be when you crash your bike into a bunch of trees and rocks and tear up some wires?

However, Shimano holds the patents for up to fourteen.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

34 front and 10-40 rear would be the hot shit.

5% easier climbing gear than 32/36, and 17% taller gear than 32/11
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Chains are stupid. I want a 1 nanometer filament running along a cone in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    34 front and 10-40 rear would be the hot shit.

5% easier climbing gear than 32/36, and 17% taller gear than 32/11
    It's science.
    http://www.hark.com/clips/cgnjzhbhpz-its-science
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Sram is doing some weird shit. and wouldn't it be XI, not XX1? haha.
    I still haven't even tried 2X10. I like the idea of not cross chaining, but I need the low range.
    Is the durability really shit?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Sram is doing some weird shit.
    not so much srams own weird idea as bike designers tired of long ass chain stays on 29ers fucking things up, the frame designers are pushing for this. no front der on a 29er = money chainstays

it comes as a 10-42 cassette.
    mated with 32 ring, sounds good to me.
    plus you can swap out rings without removing the crank.
    do want.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/ar...s-to-11-34098/
    Last edited by buttahflake; 05-25-2012 at 01:52 PM.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by DirkaDirkaJack View Post
    its inevitable that shimano will have electric for MTB. while it is sweet for road, seems like a terrible idea for mountain. how stoked are you going to be when you crash your bike into a bunch of trees and rocks and tear up some wires?
    Just as stoked as I would be if I did it to a cable or hydro line on a ride I guess which fortunately = zero for me thus far. Once all this stuff gets dialled in I'm thinking it's going to be easy to install and set up and internal routing will protect things more than the external routing we're all used to. It would have to be done right for me to consider it though, right now Di2 is already pretty simple, Ultegra seems like a complete pain in the ass though with all the additional length cables required.

I still haven't even tried 2X10. I like the idea of not cross chaining, but I need the low range.
    Is the durability really shit?
    You can get the low gearing on the 2x10 set-up - I think mine is a 39-26 with a 12-36 on the back. I had the same opinion as you 1 month ago, but now am loving it. My chain line is the tightest I've ever had aside from my 1x10 set-up on the bike bike.

I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Really hope Shimano comes out with an XT level off road worth 11spd internal gear hub that has less friction loss than the rohloff.

It will be interesting to see what affect this new front ring, chainline and that massive 11th cog have on friction.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    That's kinda how I feel too (not that I will be buying any of this shit in even the not-so-near future). I think I could go 28x9-36 and be done, evenfor long ass rides with 4k of climbing. If your suspension is optimized for a 32t chainring though this may be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Really hope Shimano comes out with an XT level off road worth 11spd internal gear hub that has less friction loss than the rohloff.
    ...and doesn't weigh a ton. I'm curious how the weight of the XX1 setup compares to internal hubs.