Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

South America 2012

I might have missed it but I didn't see a thread started.

Good looking storm headed in this weekend.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Portillo/6day/mid

Finally, thank you! Can't believe it took this long, AND that a thread about CT was going multi-page. (I was going to start this thread myself, but I'm still fence-sitting).

If I'm going I'm looking for a 6-8 week stretch, a season pass, and a house-share. Anyone else in this boat?

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Finally, thank you! Can't believe it took this long, AND that a thread about CT was going multi-page. (I was going to start this thread myself, but I'm still fence-sitting).

If I'm going I'm looking for a 6-8 week stretch, a season pass, and a house-share. Anyone else in this boat?
    I wish. I just have two weeks in August. Ticket already to Chile, but can go to Argentina from there if needed. I'm waiting to see how things start to figure out where I'll be heading.

Pfffft, you guys are killing me, as in I fuckin wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Thinking about a trip down there this year to make up for the joke of a season we had in Colorado. Does anyone know if that mess with Nevados/Termas is resolved and they'll be running the Otto lift this year? Such a shame to have that lift shut down with all the good terrain it can access.

I've been working on this site this winter, I think it could be a great resource for anyone headed south. All the SA resorts and huts/backcountry areas are listed with trip reports and photos for each. I also have a few guide friends updating the conditions and photos over the season. Could be a great resource. Here's the site:
    http://powdays.com

And a direct link to the South America locations:
    http://powdays.com/locations?term_no...outh%20America

Quote Originally Posted by jSki View Post
    Thinking about a trip down there this year to make up for the joke of a season we had in Vail.
    Fixed it for ya. Climatologists are calling for equal chances of an average season in the I-70 corridor next season.

spook Guest
    i'm already here, but without a board in a country without any lifts and no time to climb.

Glad to see this one underway.
    I'll be in Lenas from July 5 till the end. Argentina till November 20.

Don't think I can this year...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Snow on the ground in Lenas. Here we go.
    http://unofficialnetworks.com/las-le...-season-99537/

If anyone is looking for a place to stay in Las Leñas we have two beds available up in the Las Leñas village.

More info here

I will be in Buenos Aires from 24 June to the 29th, then I'm heading to Portillo 30 June-7 July. Don't have plans for BA, but would like to hit the hills and do some off piste if anyone know the mountain areas. Otherwise, will be drinking and eating my face off, until I leave for Chile.

If I go, it would roughly be the week my girls start their school year. So a possible trip would be 2 weeks from the late week August to early Septiembre.

I wanted to go to NZ this year, but cash and time for such a trip are missing.

I haven't been back to Termas since 2007, like Jski, I wondering of the status of the lifts including Otto.

I would also like to revisit (and retake pictures out of it) the sad 2009 trip where everything was stolen in BA the day before my departure: Los Penintentes and Las Lenas.

Keeping an eye open for seat sales out of Canada.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

After using the Search function, it is quite obvious that late july to early september seems like the best time to hit Chile and/or Argentina.
    I may have a window to travel south in late june/to end of july.

Is there anywhere that is renowned for early season?
    Like the PNW that is quite often skiable in late november because of a major storm cycle? Is anything like this in Chile/Argentina?

I was mostly thinking about good backcountry spot since I'm pretty sure not much resorts are going to be open.
    Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowchaser View Post
    I've had good luck in LL in July and bad luck in the prime late August early September, honestly the only thing renowned about Andean weather is it's complete unreliability. Three options are:

Book and just take it as it comes
    Book at last minute
    Spend a longer time down there
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Book and just take it as it comes
    Book at last minute
    Spend a longer time down there
    Like PNWbrit says...

There is also 'flexibility'. Get your plane ticket, but wait for anything else until the last minute. Las Lenas and Portillo are more of a challenge for the extreme last minute stuff. Everywhere else is bueno.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Looking for Touring Partners in September
    Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but the tentative plans are a ski week in Portillo or Las Lenas with three weeks of touring volcanoes and whatever other interesting objectives look to be in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfreerider View Post
    Looking for Touring Partners in September
    As am I. I'll be in Las Lenas from August 18-25 or a few days longer if the snow is good, then in Bariloche until September 6.

I'm in contact with Jorge at www.andescross.com about doing a 3-4 day Frey Hut tour sometime between 8/27 or so and 9/5 and am looking for partners to split the cost. PM me if you're interested. I'm also looking for day touring/side-country partners without a guide.

Here are a couple of TR's to let you know a bit about me:

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/vi...b09a4a32999ebf

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/vi...b09a4a32999ebf

has anyone ever rented an RV down in Las Lenas and/or made the drive the LL to Chile for some Surf? Is RV camping allowed in LL? Having trouble finding info elsewhere. thanks.

I believe you still have to pay to park in the valley. Probably 100 pesos a day, although nothing is indicated on their website.
    You would also get hassled if someone saw you sleeping in a car, I think.
    It is definitely doable, but you would have to be sneaky.

Las Lenas today! It seems that with the last storm and some more new snow forecasted for this weekend, LL would open on the 22.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m120614163002017.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	117410
    Ski Argentina!

Left Las Lenas this morning at 6:30 temp was 6c positive and had been windy all night. The snow that fell the other day about 40cm in the base was very wet (liquid guanch). Will see how they farm this snow? Though it looks to get a little colder with another 20cm mixed with rain coming through the weekend. The upper part looks good till top of Volcano then watch out. New slow quad will be a learning process on how to maintain carpets especially with no overhead snow coverings at loading areas. Will really make Minerva dangerous with more people on a crowded run. Oh well uphill capacity should never exceed downhill capacity but at least they found some money to spend. Looking for more fun outside the lift served area!

Just to update: wind died down and snow started about 5:30 this morning, it has been snowing all day (canceling my plan of skinning up Paraiso). Currently about 40cm new on top of the past few days heavy wet sludge at the base area so this difinitely will make for fun skiing and start to cover rocks. Yesterday about 2m on top total so maybe it will move out of the last few year's cycle of 15cms and wind. It is looking to be a good opening depending how their management thinks.
    Last edited by ogendlesswinter; 06-16-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowchaser View Post
    Like the PNW that is quite often skiable in late november because of a major storm cycle? Is anything like this in Chile/Argentina?

I was mostly thinking about good backcountry spot since I'm pretty sure not much resorts are going to be open.
    Thanks for your help!
    Ushuaia may be good since its so far south and stays pretty cold. Cerro Castor opens on the 22nd and looks to have decent coverage but there is always the Martial Glacier outside of town that even has lift service and purty cheap. their website is in castallano www.tierradelfuego.org.ar/glaciarmartial and there is a refugio