Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wasatch Enduro

Wasatch Enduro

Is there a thread on this yet? Couldn't find one... might've been mentioned elsewhere but it deserves its own thread.

http://www.bellwasatchenduro.com/

Now the 4th stop on the NAET (North American Enduro Tour) - gonna be sweet! Registration has been good but it'd be cool to see it sell out!
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

thanks for this post. registered.

stoked.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

NICE Marshal.

Would love to do this, but I think I'd need something besides my 45+ lb DHR...

Looks fantastic, I'll be there if I can swing it coming from Coloraodo. Given the price of other enduro's ($150+) it's good to see something reasonable hit the radar.

Right on. I'm liking these new Enduro formats.

For those familiar with Enduros, am I going to get slaughtered with a 1x9 on my 6" bike? I'm thinking likely since they recommend 5" or 4" 29er bikes.

Finstah Guest
    Why are you guys worried about your bikes? Read the event description, none of the climbs are timed and for one you ride the gondola. You could hike -a - bike up every climb with a joint hanging out of your mouth and still win the thing.

These events claim to reward the most complete riders of all disciplines, but if no climbing is considered I don't see how. I'm not saying all the climbs should be timed, but how about one of em?

Quote Originally Posted by Finstah View Post
    Why are you guys worried about your bikes? Read the event description, none of the climbs are timed and for one you ride the gondola. You could hike -a - bike up every climb with a joint hanging out of your mouth and still win the thing.

These events claim to reward the most complete riders of all disciplines, but if no climbing is considered I don't see how. I'm not saying all the climbs should be timed, but how about one of em?
    If you want a timed climb, race in any one of hundreds of XC races. There is no way you can walk up stage one and make the time limit (each transfer stage does have a time limit, you don't have to rally up it but you can't poke around either).

A 1x9 will be fine as these timed stages are all very down oriented. I'll be running a 170 /160 bike but there will be a little of everything. I don't think a 29er will have any advantage over the rest of us on this one, this will be all rider. Lot of local DH talent signing up for this, should be pretty fun, even if it is at THE Canyons.
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

It's the week before Speedgoat and I don't know how to race...

Sounds like fun, though.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    It's the week before Speedgoat and I don't know how to race...

Sounds like fun, though.
    So you're running the speedgoat this year? Nice, that thing is a blast.

Finstah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Altagirl View Post
    If you want a timed climb, race in any one of hundreds of XC races. There is no way you can walk up stage one and make the time limit (each transfer stage does have a time limit, you don't have to rally up it but you can't poke around either).

A 1x9 will be fine as these timed stages are all very down oriented. I'll be running a 170 /160 bike but there will be a little of everything. I don't think a 29er will have any advantage over the rest of us on this one, this will be all rider. Lot of local DH talent signing up for this, should be pretty fun, even if it is at THE Canyons.
    I hear ya.

I guess in my mind a XC race should be 50% climbing, 50% decending.
    A DH should be 100% decending (or like 95%, 5%)
    and a Super D or Enduro like 80% decending, 20% climbing.

I just don't see the point of a 3 run DH race down a XC trail. I don't mean to shit on the event because I really do think it's cool these types of races are starting to pop up everywhere now. I just think the Downiville AM event and even the format that looks like is going to happen at Snowmass make more sense for a competition that is supposed to reward the most well rounded riders.

I know I'm the minority on this and I respect your point of view. Probably boils down to me being just too much of a pussy to enter straight up XC suffer fests ...

Tempting, even for my slow ass.

Sent from my DROIDX using TGR Forums

I wasn't planning on racing until next year (when I'm nice and unfat), but I might go for this. I think I'll see where I am in July and decide then if there are still spots available.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

The appeal of enduro is pretty simple. Envision going out for a full day of shredding with your bros. You pedal uphill, at a steady pace but not blowing yourself up. Shooting the shit, hanging out. Get to the top, reach a super fun downhill section, and you do what you do - you rally the shit out of it. Only difference with enduro, there happens to be a timer on those sections. Don't put limits around it like "it must determine the best all around rider." It's just fun as hell. That's all.

Yup. I'm in. Only 30 spots left! Get on it!

The "Best" enduro in the country right now is propably the Trestle Enduro and that one uses the lift for everyy stage, very much like the "Mega"-races in France (don't confuse with the Italina Super Moto format and a few others). You still have to pedal hard but they use as much of the mountain as they can. Kind of like going to Whistler with your buddies...

Trestle registration opens on 1 June, FYI. Good contingent of Utards going to that one as well.
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

The "Best" enduro in the country right now is propably the Trestle Enduro and that one uses the lift for everyy stage, very much like the "Mega"-races in France (don't confuse with the Italina Super Moto format and a few others). You still have to pedal hard but they use as much of the mountain as they can. Kind of like going to Whistler with your buddies...

Trestle registration opens on 1 June, FYI. Good contingent of Utards going to that one as well.
    That sounds like my kind of race!

Do you know if that's a 12:01AM kinda thing on June 1? Not sure how competitive it is to sign up for that one.

There's also Fears, Tears and Beers in Ely, NV on June 10. That one was high on my list but wife's birthday is that weekend AND my parents are coming into town. Sigh...
    It's all pedal accessed but a super fun time in a really weird, but beautiful, place.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Do you know if that's a 12:01AM kinda thing on June 1? Not sure how competitive it is to sign up for that one.

Not sure but they have a limit of 300 I think so I would think we should be OK (I hope).
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

Looks like I'm in. First competitive event in years for me...Woohoo!!

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    Looks like I'm in. First competitive event in years for me...Woohoo!!

Yeah dude! Stoked.

But when I find you in a crumpled heap on the side of the trail, I'm not stopping FYI...

In! Stoked!

I'm in, but my wife will be close to 8.5 month's pregnant on race day. Small chance I'll have to bail.

Damn, this is turning into a stacked field. Gonna be a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by TuaDog View Post
    I'm in, but my wife will be close to 8.5 month's pregnant on race day. Small chance I'll have to bail.
    Excuses already?

I think Lt. Overstoke is in too.