Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Any ski shop that choses to sell these horrible "beacons" is also contributing to the problem. Let 'em know!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Update: looks like he listened. Website has removed all aspects of strapping these on a family member or any mention of using at the resort for "safety".

It states "Affordable multi-burial avalanche training tool" on the home page and on the product description it now says:

"Affordable Avalanche training transmitter.

Snow Beacon offer an affordable alternative to burying multiple transceivers in the snow when you want practicing realistic avalanche multi-burial training scenarios.

Introducing the Snow Beacon Avalanche Training Unit. It transmits at 457khz and is comparable with all transceivers currently on the market.

It can transmit for in excess of 200 hours on a single set of batteries.

Please note, this unit must only be used as an avalanche training tool and its use in any other context is strictly forbidden.

If you wish to purchase these units, please contact us via email at snow-where@snow-beacon.com to discuss your requirements."

A win for reason. Its still worrying though, how many people on these boards use products in a way they weren't intended to by the manufacturer?

I imagine the lack of interest in their use as a training tool should see this guy's hopes, dreams and the business ultimately quashed pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutuko View Post
    A win for reason. Its still worrying though, how many people on these boards use products in a way they weren't intended to by the manufacturer?

I imagine the lack of interest in their use as a training tool should see this guy's hopes, dreams and the business ultimately quashed pretty quickly.
    good news, I suspect this will ultimately kill the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutuko View Post

You may be underestimating the demand. I would have bought one last year for training.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    You may be underestimating the demand. I would have bought one last year for training.
    Yup. Most of the people with their panties in a bunch in this thread should have a practice beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Yup. Most of the people with their panties in a bunch in this thread should have a practice beacon.
    or at the very least a script running that alerts them of all avy threads where club membership is threatened.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    or at the very least a script running that alerts them of all avy threads where club membership imagines or feels threatened.
    Fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    We all already have "practice" beacons. They are our old, outdated, non-digital, single antennae 457 beacons from years past!
    As technology progresses, there are piles of outdated beacons out there. Practice with them!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    We all already have "practice" beacons. They are our old, outdated, non-digital, single antennae 457 beacons from years past!
    As technology progresses, there are piles of outdated beacons out there. Practice with them!
    I'll take 10. PM for my address. Thanks. I'll keep one and distribute the other 9 in Manhattan and Iowa to once in a lifetime back country skiers. To them, coming up with a practice beacon is as easy as finding a spare dragon boat paddle in Jackson Hole.

Not necessarily, the only beacon I own is my first which is a modern digital three antenna.

I several Pieps Freeride units that I want to sell and wouldn't feel so dirty doing it if I knew you were going to buy two as burial beacons. $50 each.
    Life is not lift served.

Bump & heads up

This douche was back touting these things at the London Ski Show this week (insert gags about great skiing in London & British standards of skiing). Importantly he was back to his original message of affordable avalanche safety for the family and NOT what he'd doctored his website to say that they were for training purposes only. Anyone who feels they want to express their concern should spam the fucker for being a hypocritical tool who clearly hasn't seen the error of his ways.

Surely vandalism of his booth at the ski show would be a more mature and responsible action. Anyone in London?

Quote Originally Posted by BamBam_540 View Post
    Surely vandalism of his booth at the ski show would be a more mature and responsible action. Anyone in London?
    He's a Douche. Did anyone confront him?

Picket his booth.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

www.cambridgeskisafety.com - same shit, different name (yes, the owner James Robson has changed the registered company name, see here and here). Now marketed as an "On-Piste Emitter".

Someone let Unofficial Networks know please .

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    www.cambridgeskisafety.com - same shit, different name (yes, the owner James Robson has changed the registered company name, see here and here). Now marketed as an "On-Piste Emitter".

Someone let Unofficial Networks know please .
    Won't this money-grubbing douchebag just take a hint? His product is dangerous and... sucks! No matter how many times he changes the company name.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Won't this money-grubbing douchebag just take a hint? His product is dangerous and... sucks! No matter how many times he changes the company name.
    Looks like the website is already down...

The dude is back and looking to crowd-fund the rebirthed device: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=100974

They are at the ski and snowboard show in London which has been on this week selling them as on piste safety devices. They were quite taken aback when my 9 year old daughter (but hard bitten mini powder hound who happily spends hours in the garden practising searches with our beacons), who they tried to tell she needed one of their beepers, asked how she could find someone buried with one!