Texture/Traction for Stained Wood Deck Steps?

I just moved into a new house and it has an amazing stained deck in the back yard. There are 7-8 steps and when they're wet, the dogs slip and slide on them. I don't want that. I tried the 3M traction tape, but it doesn't stick worth a damn to the stained wood and I'm not going to strip the stain from the steps. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

You can buy screw down stair nosing or treads with a grippy texture. The problem is you would be covering the nice wood with aluminum. You could also do a quick sand down, and put a clear urathane or epoxy down with some sand sprinkled on top of the sticky layer.

like jethro rec. is what we did, is real simple and supplies enough traction.
    tends to hold a bit more dirt but worth not watching my boy eat shit going down steps.
    congrats on the new house
    bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    You can buy screw down stair nosing or treads with a grippy texture. The problem is you would be covering the nice wood with aluminum. You could also do a quick sand down, and put a clear urathane or epoxy down with some sand sprinkled on top of the sticky layer.
    If I did this, would I then re-apply the stain on top of the urethane/epoxy? Otherwise, wouldn't it just look like sanded wood?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    If I did this, would I then re-apply the stain on top of the urethane/epoxy? Otherwise, wouldn't it just look like sanded wood?
    You are just looking to rough up the surface so the urathane/epoxy has something to stick to. Hopefully you will not go deep enough to remove the stain color. It might be a good idea to try it on a small or hidden area to see how it holds up and to see if you like the appearance.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Crushed walnut shells mixed in with varnish.
    Best solution for providing traction on wood.

This is a standard solution on wood decked sail boats.

http://www.splefty.com/House-stories/Porch/nuts/

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    Crushed walnut shells mixed in with varnish.
    Best solution for providing traction on wood.

This is a standard solution on wood decked sail boats.

http://www.splefty.com/House-stories/Porch/nuts/
    I've used a no gloss marine grade urethane + sand for steps as well. Sprinkle on and roll the sand in with a roller.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    You could also do a quick sand down, and put a clear urathane or epoxy down with some sand sprinkled on top of the sticky layer.
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    like jethro rec. is what we did, is real simple and supplies enough traction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Jong-un View Post
    I've used a no gloss marine grade urethane + sand for steps as well. Sprinkle on and roll the sand in with a roller.
    This is more or less standard. Sprinkle the sand on after you have re-coated with the urathane (while it's still wet). Use more than you think you want, not all of it is going to stay.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

+ 3 on the last two posts. Sand and some varnish work great. Just lightly sand the surface before you varnish it and sprinkle the sand.