What is the metal thingy that comes with Hayes brake pads?

Yes, I have Hayes brakes. I know.
    There is this metal spreader thingy that comes with the replacement pads. Do I need to use that? I've always just thrown it out.

Stroker Rydes, btw.

I found a pic. What is that thing on top?
    It seems like it's supposed to help with spacing or something. Insertion? huh huh. insertion.
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 05-15-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Had Stroker Rydes myself; didn't like them and went to BB7s. Anywho I think the metal spring thingy is just to help them return after braking so they don't drag/rub. My Avid pads have them as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

That is a spring that acts in opposition to the hydraulics so that when you release the lever the brake pads move slightly away from the rotor. It should be placed between the two pads with the little prongs resting on the metal backing plate of the pad with the brake pad centered between the prongs (should fit snugly between the prongs). The top of the metal springs should be against the roof of the main brake body.

Hopefully that makes sense. Maybe someone can post some pictures. At work so no bikes. A quick search may come up with some images too.

That little bastard of a spring is quite important, aren't your brakes mushy after you release them? Plus I feel like the pads would fall out if you removed the wheel?

hm. I was just riding around trying to bed them in.

My other guess was that they opposed the levers, but upon removing them they moved away enough to stop rubbing (as much as they will. they will never stop rubbing and squeaking.). It does fit quite nicely for that capacity, but as I said, seems to work better without. I don't remember them ever being in there. I think it just depends what year your brakes are.

I figured one of them may have felt a little mushy, but that was after riding a mile or two with them held in to start bedding in the pads.

I'll keep em around and ride a short loop with and without them and see what happens.
    No longer stuck.

Yup, they're a little return spring and help keep the pads from falling out. The trash is the wrong place for it.

hm. I'll give it a whirl.

With or without them, it doesn't seem to erase the fact that these are shitty, entry level brakes that are difficult to adjust, let alone the fact that the pistons don't seem to move equally. They never have. And my rotors are pretty warped. at least the back one (only a 160mm).
    Like I said there was less rub without the springs. With them in, they seemed to be holding the front rotor on both sides, and that's an 8" rotor, so if it's warped, it's not much.

And yes I clean the rotors with alcohol occasionally.

Yeah!, just reread your post. The pads don't fall out because they are held in with a pin/screw through the top, and the magic that is magnets.
    No longer stuck.

You are prolly correct about year/model differences. I had some old mech Tektro disc brakes that did not use the spring and used magnets on the caliper to hold the pads in place. It is quite possible that the calipers have an internal spring to help retract them? Dunno, just a thought. So it may actually cause problems with that particular model/year?

Finstah Guest
    Not trying to be a jerk.

But, you might want to bring your bike to a bike shop.

Yeah!, just reread your post. The pads don't fall out because they are held in with a pin/screw through the top, and the magic that is magnets.
    Ah. Guess it probably is for a different model/year then. If it works better without, well, there's the solution. I shoulda figured that out there's a pin because of the hole in the tab on the pads.

In addition to cleaning rotors, I take my pads out and hit 'em with sandpaper every so often.

So, i rode around with em and it might be a little firmer, but can't really tell. Pads stopped rubbing as much.

Would be nice if the instructions they came with, or anywhere on the internet mentioned it.

Sent from my cell phone. no, a cell phone.
    No longer stuck.

fail

Care to explain?

Sent from my cell phone. no, a cell phone.
    No longer stuck.