Hunting Mags: Good day pack suggestions

Post for the hunting mags out there.

Moving into hunting more big game this year and I am looking for a good daypack bag which can hold all the necessities for a day. Food, water, binocs, GPS, compas, extra layers (or store extra layers), calls, gloves, as well as have room for meat storage (not sure if some bags have separate meat compartments or not?). Likely will quarter animal in field and take tenderloins, brisquets, back straps and head/skull w/ antlers. Deer hunts will be solo or group. Moose will be with groups. Doesn't matter if it has an internal/external frame or water bladder.

I haven't had a chance to look at many bags in person and have just started my research. Any help would be great as a start.

These guys make some very nice shooting specific packs:

http://www.eberlestock.com/

If you don't care about shooting specific features, then just about any internal frame pack the right size will work.

Cool thanks! I will take a look at them. I like the functionality of those packs...looks like some good reviews about them.

I have been looking at the Mystery Ranch stuff too. I like the idea of the crewcab b/c of the expandability of it but it is a lot more expensive than the eberlestock stuff
    Last edited by Bird Blaster; 05-14-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    I have been looking at the Mystery Ranch stuff too. I like the idea of the crewcab b/c of the expandability of it but it is a lot more expensive than the eberlestock stuff
    And worth every penny... not to mention it will last forever.

Take a look at Badlands. I've hunted Montana with the 2200 for the last 8 seasons and its been great. I would probably chose the Sacrifice now because of the Hypervent suspension (read good air movement and less sweaty back). The construction is bomber and they are versatile. I can pack a whole antelop quartered no problem. And I've had a rear elk quarter and backstraps on it as well, packed fine

I have used a surplus Alice pack w/o the frame for years. For light trips I just take one of my fanny/lumbar packs.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by backcountry1pr View Post
    And worth every penny... not to mention it will last forever.
    I really like the MR crewcab...solid bag by the sounds of it.

Have you had any issues with your bag?

here is a forum cross post, lots of good info here on MR, vs Eberlestock and badlands and so on http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/forumd...4-Hunting-Gear , most of the guys are big into the MR, I think either one will do the trick I have a just-one, and like but im not doing 14day solo sheep hunts or anything, plus I cant spend 700 on a pack that only gets used for hunting, if I could though I probably would.

The MR stuff is expensive and heavy. Good design and quality though. To me it looks like their packs were designed for military and fire work and then converted for use with the backpack hunter. I would definitley look at eberlestock. If you rifle hunt they have the best scabbard by far. They also have bow specific packs. I have used all three listed above because I used to get pro deals on all of them. I definitley perfer the eberlestock packs. MR is a close 2nd when cost is not a factor. I question badlands quality of build. Other packs to look at are the horn hunter line, sitka packs (overpriced but light), and kuiu (expensive but great quality and modular).

I just use an Arctryx ski bag (Silo?) for everyday hunting. If you are hauling big game, you're going to need a proper frame pack and/or a sled. Hiking around carrying the basic hunting essentials doesn't require a specialized pack, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by josef View Post
    The MR stuff is expensive and heavy. Good design and quality though. To me it looks like their packs were designed for military and fire work and then converted for use with the backpack hunter. I would definitley look at eberlestock. If you rifle hunt they have the best scabbard by far. They also have bow specific packs. I have used all three listed above because I used to get pro deals on all of them. I definitley perfer the eberlestock packs. MR is a close 2nd when cost is not a factor. I question badlands quality of build. Other packs to look at are the horn hunter line, sitka packs (overpriced but light), and kuiu (expensive but great quality and modular).
    I'd have to disagree on the Eberlestock vs Badlands, at least the 2200 that i have and the Sacrifice that I've seen. From what I've seen on the Eberlestock, their suspension and waist belt looks a little undersized. I've had no construction or wear issues with my Badlandss and I've used it for 20 days/season x 8. And from what I can tell with the Mystery Ranch, like others have said they are money and cost lots of money.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post
    I'd have to disagree on the Eberlestock vs Badlands, at least the 2200 that i have and the Sacrifice that I've seen. From what I've seen on the Eberlestock, their suspension and waist belt looks a little undersized. I've had no construction or wear issues with my Badlandss and I've used it for 20 days/season x 8. And from what I can tell with the Mystery Ranch, like others have said they are money and cost lots of money.
    FOS- I havent used Sacrifice or 2200. Just the superday and their butt pack (cant remember the name). My main problem with them was their zippers which seemed to fail on me pretty easy. To be fair once I had problems with them I didnt bother warrantying them. I just moved on to another manufacturer. There is a chance I just got two bad packs...

PM freeheelvegan. I hear that she packs a lot of meat.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I just use an Arctryx ski bag (Silo?) for everyday hunting. If you are hauling big game, you're going to need a proper frame pack and/or a sled. Hiking around carrying the basic hunting essentials doesn't require a specialized pack, IMHO.
    This.

A pack is a pack. I used my BD Avalung pack hunting last year. The deer did not seem to mind.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    I really like the MR crewcab...solid bag by the sounds of it.

Have you had any issues with your bag?
    I own several (over the course of years) and have never had an issues with any.

I use my old Dana Bomb Pack. Now that it is uncool to have your shovel on the outside of the pack, that pack is relegated to hunting. I have carried both hind quarters and the skull with rack out of some pretty steep terrain a couple of times with it. I do not like to use new gear for hunting due to blood/gore though there are no doubt better packs for that than a ski pack.

MR crew cab all the way. It will out haul you. and comfy also. there is a reason the military uses them, not cause they get the best price from dana, but they do..

If you need to haul elk qtrs Crew all the way.

If you're hunting real big game you'd be better served with a frame pack. carrying moose quarters or brown bear hides in an internal frame blows, hard.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I guess I forgot to mention in my previous post that I have this pack:

http://www.eberlestock.com/Phantom%20Backpack.htm

(eberlestock Phantom) and I really like it. Very comfortable suspension, even when overloaded. Totally bomb-proof. Will never wear out. A bit heavy, but about on par with the competition. I like the modular nature of it. I can carry the whole pack, or rig it with just the scabbard. Very good organizational options.