Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gin

Gin

I looked, found a thread on G and T's but no clear gin thread. I'd always been a Bombay Sapphire guy but I picked up some Monopolowa potato gin and I'm impressed. It was on sale for half the price of the Bombay Sapphire as a bonus. I've had Hendricks but can't really remember it. Don't like Beefeater or Tanqueray.

Beefeater or Tanqueray are pretty much the suck. Bombay Saphire is real nice but Hendricks is just so fucking yummy it's not funny.
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 05-14-2012 at 06:40 PM.

jgb@etree Guest
    I've only had it once in my life. For some odd reason, I came into posession of a bottle of Tanqueray 10 in college and decided to drink it. I recall it being awful - it tasted like perfume - and I'm told that I am a really bad gin drunk.

Sapphire is just a start. Tanq Rangpur + Tonic + lime = good G+T (don't cut the good shit with tonic. It makes baby jesus cry). Tanq 10 = overpriced perfume

Bluecoat, Junipero, and Leopold's are a big step forward. Any of those + rocks and a twist of lemon = $$$
    Last edited by DJSapp; 05-14-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    and I'm told that I am a really bad gin drunk.
    I have regained consciousness in some odd places due to the evil Tanueray .

Tanqueray : Jose Cuervo :: Gin : Tequila

Make some better decisions.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Gin has undergone quite a cultural renaissance over the last several years. Lot's of small artisan producers are making really cool new gins these days. Leopold Bros here in Co is just plain killing it with theirs and others like Smalls and Aviation are beautiful too. I've been on a Citadelle kick lately. Been serving it with this beautiful french cassis liqueur, some key lime juice, and a touch of agave nectar. If you're a fan of Gin tonics then try out Floraison G'vine. It's spectacular with a splash of Q tonic and a twist of lime.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Haven't had much gin lately, but I was partial to Quintessential for a while.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Junipero Gin. Full stop.

Not sure it's a "renaissance" as much as a historically very flexible definition

You think "cultural renaissance" is overstepping it a bit? I will admit that it's not as significant as what has happened to rye whiskey, but if you go to any quality liquor store they'll have a vast array of high end small production gins. The folks who are buying them certainly aren't the old school gin drinking blue haired crowd, ya know? It's the reasonably affluent 25-34 group that is fueling the growth of the category.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Fucking A I love gin. I'm three gin and tonics deep as I write this. Just getting to the point that I can get some real work done.

Observations:
    1) Fruity, overspiced shit makes a fine martini, but for a gin and tonic, you want the dry. I'm drinking Bombay dry tonight, but Beefeaters is fine.
    2) The really esoteric stuff is great. Junipero, DH Krahn, Bluecoat. All good.
    3) The quality of the tonic makes a difference. I made a batch of my own tonic by steeping cinchona bark in water for a few hours with some orange peel as well, then adding simple syrup and carbonating in a small beer keg. It was awesome. Since then, I haven't had the patience to do it again. As a substitute, the Trader Joe's store label tonic is good - cane sugar, not corn syrup.
    4) Small glasses or fast drinking are important for a G and T. The quality diminishes greatly as the ice melts.

I'm not a fan of gin, but the wife likes Sapphire and Tonics.

Hedrick's gin is awesome, a little unusual, but worth it. Cucumber and rose hints.

Excellent from swissland is a rye gin, or shit, that is vodka, sorry.

Someone else mentioned Leopolds, worth every penny, any of their spirits. Mountain liqueur is amazing.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

I think Im approaching a year in which I have not had a cocktail that wasnt a G&T. Sapphire guy myself, but the Rangpur as mentioned above is pretty awesome as well.

I dont play the taste game other than "thats fucking delicious I want another", and thats what works for me.

If someone was to serve Hendricks I would certainly want another, to say the least. Anything but Schwepps for the tonic, but nothing beats straight off the gun at a bar with a slightly weaK carbonation.

Now if only I could stop drinking them until Ive used up an entire lime, cant let it go to waste.
    Live Free or Die

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    You think "cultural renaissance" is overstepping it a bit? I will admit that it's not as significant as what has happened to rye whiskey, but if you go to any quality liquor store they'll have a vast array of high end small production gins. The folks who are buying them certainly aren't the old school gin drinking blue haired crowd, ya know? It's the reasonably affluent 25-34 group that is fueling the growth of the category.
    The 25-34 urban dickbags will buy what ever social media tells them too, particularly if you wrap it in a "classic" drape. Gins been many things at many times. Gin lane certainly didn't give a shit about anything.

/bitter member of the group who's fucking sick of the same shits who'd only drink vodka and shit beer in college rambling on about the latest trendy booze. fuck 'em. fuck booze

Picked up a bottle of Nolet's a couple months back, but as back bowl said better as a martini.

Regular go-to is the beef.

Colorado's organic gin from Hotchkiss is Caprock and it's fantastic. A little on the sweeter side but top of my list currently.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

In a love affair with Hendrick's at the moment. Straight up with a slice of cucumber. I like that it doesn't seem as bold a gin as others. That said, the gin and tonic may be the perfect summer drink. Especially if staying outside North America or Yurp.

Gin and tonic is the perfect summer drink.

A Hendrick's martini with a lemon twist is a drink I can never have enough of. Tried the legendary three martini lunch once. How anybody can work after that is beyond me. Working my way towards a Montgomery -- 15 parts gin to 1 part vermouth. It may erase some things from my memory but if it was good enough for Hemingway, it can't be anything but good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    . . . I'm told that I am a really bad gin drunk.
    I don't think anyone is a good gin drunk, it's primal stuff. That said, it's my go-to liquor throughout the year. Usually stick with Beefeater. Tanqueray is evil, Sapphire is good, Hendrick's is better. "Best" I've tried is Greylock Gin by Berkshire Distillers. Though if you're sticking with gin beyond the 3-drink threshold, you probably don't care what brand you're drinking.

And as back bowl said, the tonic plays a huge part if you're trying to enjoy a G&T. The quality of the tonic is also directly related to the severity of the hangover, in my experience.

Negronis are fun to put together sometimes too - a slightly less aggressive approach to gin than the usual martini or G&T.

Bought this for my girlfriend when in Scotland as she like's gin more than scotch - people were raving about it. The lady that sold it to me was explaining what tonic I should buy to go with it - I'm so ignorant I didn't know there were different types

http://www.caorunngin.com/

Here's another gin made at a scotch distillery that people seem to love:

http://yetanothergin.co.uk/index.php...-islay-dry-gin

If you are a gin lover, do yourself a favor and order a bottle of Martin Miller's gin. I prefer their high test batch ( Westborne strength), but thier 80 proof is incredble as well. Hands down the best gin I've ever had.

http://cocktails.about.com/od/spirit...tin_miller.htm

Gin makes a man mean, best to avoid it. IME
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Gin 209
    Old Raj
    Plymouth
    Boodles
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Had a glass of the Rogue Pink gin with some tonic. Didn't need lime, lemon or anything. Easily the best G&T I've ever had.

http://www.rogue.com/spirits/pink-spruce-gin.php

All along my go to Gin for the G&T has been Tanqueray. Never knew I was doing it wrong.